Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Windows7  (Read 38950 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Windows7
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2008, 04:24:01 PM »

and I am now using Vista without any problems.  :)

I also have Vista and to be honest the only problem is navigating around the system to the type of places that most people would not "or need not" need to go to, or at least not very often.
Otherwise a couple of programs I use are 3/4 faster than XP, "using the same PC on a duel-boot system" so the spec is exactly the same.

I think there are two main problems. One being that we/people are just so used to navigating around XP and turning off things we don't want running in the background, but because Vista is totally different and "everything is or seems hard to get to" we don't take that into consideration.
And secondly, being installed onto a PC that probably only has the minimum spec capable of running Vista.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2008, 06:01:58 PM »

Well I must be the exception to the rule because I used Windows ME for 7 years without any major problems.

I too used ME on several machines without problems..   and actually preferred it on my then main machine over '98.   I even installed ME on a PC that I "built" for my daughter which was odds and sods from old Pcs. 
I'd originally put 98 on it, but I kept getting networking conflicts on the damn thing, and I thought I was being stupid or missing something, but after asking a friend to look at it too, he also had the same issue.. in the end we updated it with a copy of ME and it ran sweet as a nut for several years.

In the pre XP days, I updated several machines with ME for others too.. none of which appeared to have problems.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2008, 06:05:41 PM »

and I am now using Vista without any problems.

I think my main issue with Vista is
1) How resource hungry it is
2) It annoys the hell out of me with the "are you sure"'s
3) Why I can never seem to find things to do what should be a simple task.

If they got rid of the Are you sures and had an advanced user setting that turned off the basic nags (not them all) and allowed easier access to certain apps that the advanced user is likely to often access then I'd be a lot happier.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2008, 06:50:49 PM »

Well said Kitz, I agree with you on both ME and Vista. ;D

I've helped quite a few people move oldish PC's to ME where it's worked remarkably well.

And Vista I just want to chuck through the Window when it nags.
I think the other thing about Vista is that they've tried to overlay some sort of allegedly "automatic easy consumer-oriented" structure over Windows which is why the old "semi-logical" places for things have become totally illogical; not being able to find simple everyday technical things drives me nuts! :'(

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2008, 06:58:02 PM »

All of which leads me to re-post this:

If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines...

UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS
Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again. Then they push again, jump on again, and so on...

Mac Airlines
All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look and act exactly the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.

Windows Air
The terminal is pretty and colourful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air
Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Windows XP Air
You turn up at the airport, which is under contract to only allow XP Air planes.  All the aircraft are identical, brightly coloured and three times as big as they need to be.  The signs are huge and all point the same way. Whichever way you go, someone pops up dressed in a cloak and pointed hat insisting you follow him. Your luggage and clothes are taken off you and replaced with an XP Air suit and suitcase identical to everyone around you as this is included in the exorbitant ticket cost.  The aircraft will not take off until you have signed a contract.  The inflight entertainment promised turns out to be the same Mickey Mouse cartoon repeated over and over again.  You have to phone your travel agent before you can have a meal or drink.  You are searched regularly throughout the flight.  If you go to the toilet twice or more you get charged for a new ticket.  No matter what destination you booked you will always end up crash landing at Whistler in Canada.

OSX Air
You enter a white terminal, and all you can see is a woman sitting in the corner behind a white desk, you walk up to get your ticket. She smiles and says "Welcome to OS X Air, please allow us to take your picture", at which point a camera in the wall you didn't notice before takes your picture. "Thank you, here is your ticket" You are handed a minimalistic ticket with your picture at the top, it already has all of your information. A door opens to your right and you walk through. You enter a wide open space with one seat in the middle, you sit, listen to music and watch movies until the end of the flight. You never see any of the other passengers. You land, get off, and you say to yourself "wow, that was really nice, but I feel like something was missing"

Windows Vista Airlines
You enter a good looking terminal with the largest planes you have ever seen. Every 10 feet a security officer appears and asks you if you are "sure" you want to continue walking to your plane and if you would like to cancel. Not sure what cancel would do, you continue walking and ask the agent at the desk why the planes are so big. After the security officer making sure you want to ask the question and you want to hear the answer, the agent replies that they are bigger because it makes customers feel better, but the planes are designed to fly twice as slow. Adding the size helped achieve the slow fly goal.

Once on the plane, every passenger has to be asked individually by the flight attendants if they are sure they want to take this flight. Then it is company policy that the captain asks the passengers collectively the same thing. After answering yes to so many questions, you are punched in the face by some stranger who when he asked "Are you sure you want me to punch you in the face? Cancel or Allow?" you instinctively say "Allow".

After takeoff, the pilots realize that the landing gear driver wasn't updated to work with the new plane. Therefore it is always stuck in the down position. This forces the plane to fly even slower, but the pilots are used to it and continue to fly the planes, hoping that soon the landing gear manufacturer will give out a landing gear driver update.

You arrive at your destination wishing you had used your reward miles with XP airlines rather than trying out this new carrier. A close friend, after hearing your story, mentions that Linux Air is a much better alternative and helps.

Linux Air
Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself.

When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 07:00:04 PM by Floydoid »
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2008, 07:17:54 PM »

I think my main issue with Vista is
1) How resource hungry it is
2) It annoys the hell out of me with the "are you sure"'s
3) Why I can never seem to find things to do what should be a simple task.

If they got rid of the Are you sures and had an advanced user setting that turned off the basic nags (not them all) and allowed easier access to certain apps that the advanced user is likely to often access then I'd be a lot happier.
1. Definitely, but again is it because we are trying to use it on underpowered PC's?
...(Maybe I'm just fortunate with the last one I purchased as having a good spec, (2.4Ghz Quad with 3GB ram)

2. Over a period of probably a couple of weeks after going into the "various" options and setting the "Permission" to "Everyone" those nag's have now gone away. (but I should not of had to do that)

3. Ditto

My main moan at the moment is that system pages such as Control panel etc do not remember "Full screen" settings and most things always open in a Normal window.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2008, 07:31:16 PM »

I have 2 unused copies of Vista here that Ive paid for and ended up reinstalling XP.

1) Main machine
2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 with 3GB RAM

2) Media centre
Intel Core Duo 2gHz E4400 with 2GB RAM
Main problem on this one was Media Centre didnt work too good and was too jerky - is ok with XP MC.
I think there was also a conflict with the Hauppage Win TV card

Maybe I didnt give it long enough for the Main PC..   the nags were getting to me..
Plus the fact that I had one of those noisy HDDs which everyone was attributing to Vista.
Wont tell you how I fixed that one, other than say the HDD2Go disk was fine ;)
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2008, 07:53:18 PM »

2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 with 3GB RAM

..the HDD2Go disk was fine ;)

Same PC I think.
Surprised me how hot the HDD2Go gets.

Re Media Centre.
I know I commented on this once before.
My PC has 2 buttons on the front/top of it, one being the On/Off button, so I phoned Medion to ask what the second button did, "He couldn't tell me" so I pressed it whilst on the phone, "Media Centre popped up".  :lol:
Although I have not even tried it yet, but one day I may just transfer it down into the living room.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2008, 08:44:17 PM »

>> Same PC I think.

Yep I think so

>> Re Media Centre.

Nope - that is a "kitz build" - its not used as a PC as such... but pure media centre, hooked up to the TV
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:46:38 PM by kitz »
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2008, 08:48:57 PM »

Kitz.
When do you get time to watch the TV ?  :lol:

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2008, 08:56:50 PM »

Kitz, I hate to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but if you're happy with XP then stick with it... you could always flog the copies of vista on ebay.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2008, 08:59:08 PM »

Kitz.
When do you get time to watch the TV ?  :lol:

lol - good point - I seldom do  :-\

>> you could always flog the copies of vista on ebay.

Yeah I should do :/
-----

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2008, 06:20:15 AM »

If there was any significant benefit to Vista then companies would use it. They don't - well not the businesses which count anyway. I currently work for a company with 175,000 employees world-wide and every Vista PC is "downgraded" to XP Pro.

You don't need UAC, just stop running the OS with admin privileges :)

If Windows 7 doesn't deliver then MS have serious problems because all that is driving revenue are the office products right now. Win2k8 server is nice but not compelling - the company I currently work for specifies Win2k3 but Linux servers are being seriously evaluated now, as is OpenOffice.

MS have one more chance IMHO....

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »

I hate VISTA.

I set up a VISTA computer on my LAN to print through an XP machines attached to printer.

It only took me 4 hours :( first time.

Second time took me 30 mins.

Last time took me 10 mins.

If it had been an XP machine first time would have taken less than 2 mins.

In the end I took the easy way out and gave the OH a printer to attach to the VISTA machine with a cable.

Problem solved. :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:21:53 PM by BritBrat »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2008, 12:06:52 AM »

If you want a laugh try it the other way.  :lol:
(Vista attached printer accessed from XP)  >:D

PS Please share your tips ....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything