Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Exchange Pipe?  (Read 19066 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Exchange Pipe?
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2008, 08:09:20 PM »

ok i'll 'come clean', the stuck IPprofile thing, I'm looking for a pattern, and whilst you are on a shortish line it isnt very short, although your SNRM is just over 12dB, so I honestly dont know with yours.

The resync should force the DLM to pick up your new profile..  In theory a jump like that should happen within a day..  but it could take up to 3 days... or 5 days for smaller increases.  So fingers crossed that the DLM has picked up the latest sync, and it will occur within the next few days.   As I said previously, I dont really want you to be rebooting too often during your training period, but it wont harm if you switch your router off tonight and switch it back on to resync tomorrow morning.

>> Very odd that you have gone from IP Stream to DataStream?

Not at all..  Tiscali moved a lot of users over to DataStream to alleviate their IPStream Centrals which were very much short of capacity.   Its kinda like shuffling everyone around, but DataStream will show congestion long before IPStream, because contention works like that :/
If someone on one of them complains long enough, they move them over to the other to see if it pacifies them.

Historically Tiscali are very good at saying they are doing something, or trying something, or doing this or doing that, rather than getting down to the root of the problem.
Theyve been like that since the very first days of adsl..  told you how this exchange had big problems within about a week of going live.  There were lots of us from all many different ISPs complaining and some ISPs were far more pro-active than others.  Eventually it got fixed and we were all happy bunnies - aside from the lady on Tiscali. :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2008, 02:49:45 PM »

The IP Profile has increased finally. PPP session did drop earlier, briefly, before the IP Profile change although I was still connected, would that be due to DLM adjusting things? Hopefully it'll be ok during peak times now.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6697 kbps

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2008, 03:50:59 PM »

Most probably DLM giving the profile a kick...

Nice to see that your speeds are back to normal!

You have a very good line...
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2008, 04:51:34 PM »

Much better :)

>> PPP session did drop earlier, briefly, before the IP Profile change although I was still connected,

Possibly.  The IPprofile is set at the bRAS and it just alters the maximum throughput so doesnt affect the sync.  The drop in PPP is normally your ISP.. so it depends on how your ISP configures their accounts.  If they do their own profiling based on the bRAS, then it often needs a reconnection to pick up the new profile.  With some ISPs you may have to do a reconnection before you pick it up... so it looks like tiscali perhaps do this automatically by forcing a new PPP session.   Dont know for sure, as I'm guessing - but thats certainly what it looks like.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2008, 05:31:58 PM »

Bah, knew it was too good to be true

Time to jump ship me thinks.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2008, 06:18:25 PM »

Must be congestion related methinks...

I can see that MK_Paul has replied on Jon's thread on the Tiscali Forums saying that he has raised an IP Profiling issue with bt?

Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2008, 10:02:18 PM »

I can see that MK_Paul has replied on Jon's thread on the Tiscali Forums saying that he has raised an IP Profiling issue with bt?

Theyre a bit behind the times.
MK Paul posted that at 4.16pm...  but it had already corrected itself by 2.38pm according to that speedtest.  - Possibly as a result of the resync last night.

Looks like their IPStream Centrals are in no better state than the IPStream though (as jeff already knows) :/
-----

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »

True too true :'(
zen user

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2008, 08:41:20 PM »

I feel sorry for Jon after reading the latest response from Tiscali, I think it's disgusting:-
Peak time congestion. There is not a great deal we can do about this.

Well they put Jon on their IP Stream network which is congested enough as it is.

Correct me if I am wrong Kitz or likewise, but I think they put Jon on IP Stream as it would be cheaper than paying for the extra bandwidth on his DataStream Pipe  :no: :thumbdown: :mad:

How are your speeds at peak times at the moment Jon as from your thread they are really bad...  :'(
Kind Regards
Jamie

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2008, 11:28:27 PM »

Still the same as they were before, they go down to about 500kb/s from about 5pm till 12am. As soon as it goes off peak they gradually go back up to 6800-6900kb/s. Looking around for another ISP that doesn't have caps, traffic management, silly peak times etc. Think that's going to be hard to find at a reasonable price.

Ammit

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2008, 10:01:44 AM »

I do tent to plug these guys a lot because we resell their stuff but Eclipse are brilliant. 
They put connections through IPstream, datastream (tiscali) and also through LLU with tiscali. 

They have no traffic management or caps on their line, the only thing they have is download limits - but then somethings' gotta give, you can tell the difference because their old unlimited products are horrible! The new ones are brilliant. 

Sorry but I just find them a really good ISP and you can talk to someone ENGLISH as well.

[Mod note: This is a little bit close to advertising, so in the interests of balance I should point people towards the Kitz site ISP ratings page. ]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:13:18 AM by roseway »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2008, 08:20:42 PM »

I may be wrong, but I'm sure Eclipse still have the ellacoyas in place.  Granted throttling on the new accounts is at a much lower level than the previous Evo accounts which got a poor reputation for some very slow speeds, and things do seem much improved with the new accounts.

Tiscali wholesale LLU also seems to be ok..  not sure about if youre one of the unluckies who gets put on Tiscali datastream though. :/

---

If the OP is currently having problems with Tiscali retail datastream, I certainly wouldnt like to recommend a product that uses the same technology, because the chances are high that he would perhaps end up on the same VP where he was having problems before.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 08:23:02 PM by kitz »
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2008, 02:44:10 PM »

I feel sorry for Jon after reading the latest response from Tiscali, I think it's disgusting:-

Well they put Jon on their IP Stream network which is congested enough as it is.

Correct me if I am wrong Kitz or likewise, but I think they put Jon on IP Stream as it would be cheaper than paying for the extra bandwidth on his DataStream Pipe  :no: :thumbdown: :mad:

How are your speeds at peak times at the moment Jon as from your thread they are really bad...  :'(

Ive just seen that post

Makes me want to respond to the thread saying 'Yes there is - Tiscali need to buy some more bandwidth'.   
But I'd be so wasting my breath, since tiscali's Centrals have always been crammed to full capacity. :/

jid - yes putting him on IPStream is very much cheaper than adding more datastream capacity..  although datastream capacity is cheaper than IPStream capacity.
Moving him to IPStream in effect has just moved him away from one area with a problem and put in in another area which is no better, and wont have really cost them anything aside from a small migration fee.  The term 'Jumping out of the frying pan into the fire' springs to mind and is so appropriate.  :'(

I feel very sorry for anyone caught in this trap who cant get out due to contracts..  but it is worthwhile chasing the 'unfit for purpose' clause as there are a few who have obtained their MAC by being firm about it.
-----
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]