Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Exchange Pipe?  (Read 19064 times)

Jon21

• Reg Member
Re: Exchange Pipe?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 07:06:53 PM »

I think I can safely say that no upgrade has been done.

>:(

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 07:24:37 PM »

Hi
Just trying to copy me  :lol:. That is normal for tiscali ,its these dXXXed users that insist on using the broadband connections they have paid for  ???
Jeff
zen user

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 07:31:24 PM »

Hmm  :'(

Sorry to hear they still haven't fixed it. Hopefully they will realise that there is some mad downloader connected to your exchange and sort the congestion out....
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 11:01:56 PM »

>> I think I can safely say that no upgrade has been done

Obviously not  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »

Ouch that is nasty.

Hope its not too long now.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 12:40:08 PM »

Ive just had a quick scan through your thread and since your 'upgrade', not once have you received anywhere near the full line potential. 

For the past month they've been giving you several excuses.  Upgrade not gone through, not configured, needs 10 days, be sorted in a week, be sorted in another week etc.  Yet there's been absolutely no progress what so ever.

A line thats consistently syncing at 8128 should at some point get the near max throughput which is somewhere around 7Mb or just slightly less. Although youve done some lunchtimish speedtests it would be interesting to see an early morning result at about 7am.

Looking at the speedtests that you have provided* show very poor performance and complete failure by Tiscali to meet their side of the contract.  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 01:45:37 PM »

Ha, things get better and better. I've been getting speeds since late last night similar to this

Thought it was odd as even though it was consistant it was like being back on the 2mb profile. Asked on the tiscali thread, was told to run the bt speedtester which I've done:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1872 kbps

So I am actually on a 2mb ip profile again  ??? Question is why? I did have a brief disconnect yesterday for about 10mins (didn't do it myself, apparently the DNS server went down briefly) Is 10mins long enough for the IP Profile to get reset? All lights on the router were still on at the time apart from the PPP link. Strange thing is, I've never been able to get an IP profile from the BT speedtester before, it would just show the throughput and thats it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »

Ummmm

You were previously on Datastream.  Your exchange is datastream enabled, and the fact that you could previously log into the tiscali test proves that you were.
You are only meant to be able to access the BTw performance test to get your IPprofile if you are on IPStream.

2000 is the default profile for a brand new account which has just gone over to IPStream MaxDSL.

>> I did have a brief disconnect yesterday for about 10mins

Which is about the amount of time it could take for a line to be moved from datastream to ipstream linecard (well more like 15-20 mins depends how easy it was for the engineer to re-jumper your line).

Not happy that youve not yet picked up a proper IP profile, which sometimes happens on very good lines.  It may be worth trying a resync.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »

lol - Ive just seen your thread at the other place...

In which you mention you got an email yesterday saying your regrade to MaxDSL was sucessful.   
I have no idea why someone from Tiscali cant just tell you the truth what is really happening.  :no:

They obviously never did bother to do anything about the Datastream.. hoping it would improve, but because you continued complaining they would appear to have now put you on IPStream.
The mail you got yesterday will have been an automated one for when you got moved over to IPStream Maxdsl... 
....and sorry but I really dont believe for one minute that CS dont have access to that info.  Someone will have put the request in for you to move over to IPStream on around the 10/11th of Nov.
-----

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »

Well I just did a reboot of the router through the web interface and I'm still getting similar results to above. I presume rebooting would cause a resync?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »

Its possible that the above above may just have been a PPP reconnect if you clicked the reconnect button through the web interface.  This just disconnects and reconnects at the ISP level.  However different routers do different things so I cant be sure.

It needs a full resync for the DLM to be able to collect the sync status on your line.   Does your router have a green DSL light?  If you did a full resync it will take a few minutes and that DSL light will go off for a short while then start flashing when its trying to establish a new sync profile.

I dont want you to reboot your router too often just now though - because it looks like you will be going through a brand new training period.   
I would be interested to see your linestats, just to see how good the line is.
-----

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »

Router is a Netgear DG834PN. When I rebooted, all the lights went out, after a while the DSL light did start flashing then goes solid green, followed by the wireless light and then the PPP link light.

Line stats:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 20.0 db 9.0 db
Noise Margin 12.1 db 24.0 db

Did you need anymore? Like CRC's, FEC's etc. I can't actually find them in the statistics page of the web interface so I'm not sure if it can interpret that. Perhaps a 3rd party software can?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 03:11:28 PM »

>>> When I rebooted, all the lights went out, after a while the DSL light did start flashing then goes solid green,

Thats fine just wanted to make sure :)

The stats are good.  The info I needed to see if all there - thanks :)
I wanted to see them for my own curiousity, as I have an unproven theory as to why some lines get a stuck IPprofile, and Im just 'gathering evidence' really.

Now that youve done a resync, the theory should be that an IPprofile jump from 2000 to 7150 should happen pretty quick, but its just a waiting game now Im afraid :/
-----

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »

If the IP profile did get stuck (which hopefully it won't) is the only way to get it unstuck by resyncing? I notice on this page http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm that it says to get in contact with your ISP to get BTw to clear it but ermmm..... yeah, I think you know where I'm going with this.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 04:00:26 PM »

? I notice on this page http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm that it says to get in contact with your ISP to get BTw to clear it but ermmm..... yeah, I think you know where I'm going with this.

As Kitz said, DLM has now probably seen you are sycning faster than 2meg which your IP Profile is at, so as she says, it is a waiting game until your IP Profile catches up with the Sync speed.

Very odd that you have gone from IP Stream to DataStream?  ??? Don't what to put your hopes down but you will have probably seen on the Tiscali forums, and with jeffbb's situation here, that Tiscali IP Stream is highly congested  :'(
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4