Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADLS problems via Netgear DG834G v3  (Read 13871 times)

rama

• Just arrived
ADLS problems via Netgear DG834G v3
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:01:45 PM »

Hi,
 I have a very strange problem, I have ADSL line of Homecall(Pipex) of 1 Meg, I recently had Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem, thru which the ADSL line worked fine. I had given that ADSL to some my family member to use it. due to which I had to buy in a new Netgear DG834G v3. When I use this device my ADSL lighton the device keeps blinking. I have checked throughly with my username and pwd all were correct.but still unable to connect to my ISP. But when i connect to my ISP via USB speedtouch it works fine.

The error which I get on my Netgear router is

Sun, 2002-09-08 13:02:29 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2
Sun, 2002-09-08 13:02:54 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2002-09-08 13:02:54 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2002-09-08 13:03:54 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2002-09-08 13:03:54 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2002-09-08 13:04:28 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2002-09-08 13:04:28 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2002-09-08 13:05:27 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2002-09-08 13:05:27 - LCP is allowed to come up.

I spoke to my Homecall ISP so called techie persons and they say that its not a problem in thier line since I am able to connect to their ISP via the USB Speedtouch modem.  I beleive there was line upgrade on the exchanges due to whcih this problem might have occurred.

Can some pls shed as to where the problem exist. i.e either the line/ISP provider or the modem which is not getting connected.

Regards

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ADLS problems via Netgear DG834G v3
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 07:47:19 AM »

Hi rama, welcome to the forum.

If the ADSL light is blinking then it's not syncing with the exchange, so the username and password don't matter at this stage. I presume that you've checked the cable connecting the DG834 to the telephone line, and that any phone equipment is connected via filters, so you need to check the router configuration. I don't recall all the details of the DG834, but basically you need to check:

Modulation: G.DMT (G.992.1)
Encapsulation: PPPoA
VPI/VCI: 0/38

If any of these are wrong then correct them and try again. Sometimes rebooting the router will help.

Eric
  Eric

rama

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:52:33 AM »

Thanks Eric,

I did remove my telephone line frm the Filter and tried with only Netgear. But did not work. Even I changed the Filters and alo the Wires but this also did not work. I use then same filter for my Speedtouch usb modem and it works fine.

I have many times checked my username/pwd, the settings on ADSL as provided by my service provider (Homecall). But still 
 the ADLS port keeps on Flashing green. Could that some settings whcih needs to be checked at the exchange.

I am really going MAD as to where the problem persist.

Regards

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 12:42:16 PM »

If the Speedtouch modem works then I think you can assume that the exchange end of the connection is OK. One thing you might try is to run the Netgear connection wizard and let it autodetect your connection, rather than configuring it manually. It might work.

Eric
  Eric

rama

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 12:47:15 PM »

Netgear does not auto detect my ADSL line. Hence I do that using manual setup as I need to login to the ISP via the username and pwd.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 04:41:27 PM »

I've now dug out a copy of the DG834 user manual, and I see that when the ADSL light is flashing green it means that data is being transmitted; when it's not synced to the exchange it flashes amber. So I was wrong in my assumption that the problem is lack of sync with the exchange; the problem is that it won't authenticate with your ISP. Sorry for my mistake.

There are some troubleshooting suggestions near the end of the user manual, and maybe these will help.

Eric
  Eric

rama

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »

Eric,

The Tick button does not show green. although the one which has little i thingee keeps on flashing green. .As you have seen my error which I have pasted frm the logs.  This means that its not getting connected. The Tick mar(v/) which should have a green light means the line is connected to ADSL. I have seen this on GT model.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 06:09:56 PM »

My DG834G's tick light doesn't stay on. It only seems to flash when it's booting up, then it goes off once it has. But I've only got a DG834G v2 - not a GT.

Normally on the logs it would say "LCP down" or "CHAP authentication failure" between times, but yours doesn't. That says to me that it's not successfully communicating with the other end properly... which would suggest VPI and VCI are set wrongly, but if you've checked all the settings it can't be that.

Weird  :-\
Chris

rama

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 06:15:32 PM »

Friends I hope I am not confusing. I had GT model which worked fine. this was give to my family member to use it.
But I have brought DG834G v3 , and this is got giving me to connect to my ISP.

I am going nuts here and there a :no: nd scratching my head.... :-X   :wall:

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 06:32:56 PM »

No you're not confusing, I meant to say V3, not GT... got confused, sorry! :-[

Is there any way you can test your V3 model on another connection to make sure it isn't the router that's at fault? Take it round to your family members, for instance, and see if it connects up there?
Chris

rama

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 07:37:42 PM »

I did test my v3 device at 2 of my colleagues place. One of my colleague who lives in a differnet exchange had pipex (Home call is also of Pipex owned). He did not have any problems at all. He just plugged in and given his username and pwd and it worked fine. He used this for almost 12 hrs. He did not have to change any settings. He used the default settings of the device.

Another friend of mine is having skybroadband and this also worked fine. with out any hassles...

Now you must thinking and then banging ...thats what I am doing every day ....but still no clue as where i am wrong or the problem is ...  :'(

:wall: