Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vista is toast....  (Read 15754 times)

Vista is toast....
« on: October 28, 2008, 10:45:34 PM »

The smart money says Vista is on the scrapheap :

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/windows_vista_no_longer_matters.html

Took long enough (IMHO). Perhaps now we'll see an(other) extension to XP's life.

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: Vista is toast....
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:58:46 PM »

The BBC had a piece about Windows 7 today:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7695933.stm

What happens when you lose your internet connection and your OS and all your files are in cyber space?
I don't know about Windows Cloud, you will be in Cloud Cuckoo Land.
dave

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:06:39 PM »

Perhaps now we'll see an(other) extension to XP's life.
Isn't it already good to 2012?
Once W7 is out, and gets to SP1 (if it works OK) Vista will just be a faint memory and there will be a steady migration from XP to 7.
Anyone I deal with who can is buying new PC's with XP; even domestics - they're buying Dell business PC's with XP. 8)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:22:21 PM »

Yeah I know what you mean...   Vista lasted all of about 1 day on this PC before I replaced it with XP.
My first venture with XP was after I built the media centre... and purchased a nice shiney OEM Vista Media Center CD.  I tried... but I got too fed up with having to change stuff and I guess the crux was that some of the drivers still didnt work properly with Vista..  so ... off it came.

So thats 2x legal Vista disks that I have that Ive paid for and that aint doing nothing  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:34:14 AM »

I was reading earlier today that MS have further increased the XP cut-off date by another six months.

I still have Vista installed (dual boot) with XP, but mainly use it only for one particular movie editing program as it works so much faster than XP even on the same PC.
Other than that, mainly only used to try and solve problems for other people. (Hence the Vista tutorials)

The main problem I find is that it is not customer customisable enough like XP.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:51:07 AM »

my vista media centre ticks along nicely under my TV.  it does all my downloading, avi/tv playback, runs trackmania ok and the kids use it when mrs pwiggler is using theirs.  its a lot more reliable than XP, no sudden reboots or BSODs and the reliability monitor tells me when things are going wrong.

the only annoying thing about it is that its always so 'busy' doing things in the background and the MCE menus are a little slow.

i wonder how windows 7 is gonna compare?
Paul

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:25:04 AM »

I would agree with Pwiggler, much much more reliable than XP.

Have been using since February and since I loaded SP1.

I don't have all the fancy Aero graphics enabled, as I want some RAM to actually run programs with ;D

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:45:04 AM »

I have been very happy with Vista,saying that I have never used XP.
Not sure about the 'touch screen' on W7 ,suppose it will be a case of touch watch this space.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7695933.stm

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 10:58:26 PM »

I remember when I tried Vista I installed it ok tried to play some of my games. I tried World in Conflict usually 70fps on XP it wouldn't scratch 19 on vista on Low, Same results on my other games. Only thing I would consider vista for is Movie editing and animations but the difference on FRAPS and Sony Vegas6.0 is miniscule. And there seems to be so many system processes running in the background which really ticks me off and I was forced to "upgrade" to XP.
Imagine™

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 09:41:50 PM »

I'm an enormous fan of Vista, but then I set up clean-installed systems on known good hardware and intentionally kept them clean.

The new security model with the split/low rights features is outstanding, and general stability and the excellent new diagnostics features are good. Vista's use of ipv6 is commendable, so too are performance improvements in SMB/CIFS. The new shell/GUI is sluggish (presumably XAML rendering) but better in SP1 onwards. File and Registry Redirection are life-savers.

The only really really bad things i've encountered are

(1) Vista PRINTING - a complete fiasco if using old printer drivers, and no-one can tell you what "old" means. Thanks to HP for going out of their way making a catastrophic global farce with drivers that never needed to exist. Useless, cynical, lazy crooks.

(2) The bad router fiasco, where cheap SOHO routers mangle traffic which uses TCP window scaling. Hardly Microsoft's fault, but they should have (i) had a war on duff routers before the release of Vista, after all, then had over five years to lean on mfrs to get them to sort this out, and (ii) should have put something into the product to detect the problem (which I believe is now the  case post SP1? SP2? with the "heuristics" thing, poorly documented and mysterious as it is

(3) Bizarre UI with non-SSID-broadcast WLANs - very weird and nasty UI behaviour.

Windows 7 seems nice and snappy. Printing is still a mysterious illogical mess though, incredibly.

anything