Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Pc Probs  (Read 14031 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Pc Probs
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 10:21:39 AM »

I notice you have not 'named' the pc maker,it makes me think a reputable dealer would have either sent an engineer(if you have onsite warranty)or a least collected,fixed and returned your pc.
You should have been given windows installation disc's and IMO any other software installed should come with the required disc's.
When I bought my Dell pc in April of last year,the HD failed.I did the necessary checks as asked for by tech support,on completion of these checks,they sent an engineer and replaced my HD.(I did have onsite warranty though).
How old is your pc,it should at least come with 12 months warranty.

whitlog

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 10:56:09 AM »

Sorry my fault I was in a rush this morning and did not explain myself fully
I meant I do have the cd's just that they where not in the house I now live in.

I got my Pc from Chillblast around july so I have the 12 month warranty and as some of you say and confirmed in the email from chillblast if i fit the new HD it does not effect my warranty.

I am now going to try the fix with the Vista Cd

and to anwser a question before my Pc system is

Windows Vista 64
Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard
Intel Core Duo E8500 3.16GHz
4GB Ram
600GB Hard Drive
2X Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 512

I will run the Vista CD and tell you the results, Also at this point i dont really have anything to back up........not sure if thats a good or bad thing :)

whitlog

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 12:06:08 PM »

Ok I rebooted my Pc and used the Vista CD, It did not repair anything as it said there was no probs and i also ran the memory test that you can do on the cd and it was fine as well

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: PC Probs
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 12:17:38 PM »

I am getting the Windows CD brought to where I live now to try it,

But this morning I noticed a new message when I was half asleep which started Warning and something about the cpu but as I said I was half a sleep and missed it as I pressed F1 to carry on the boot up
Sound like they are sending you a CD and not a HDD (which I thought was strange asking the customer to install a HDD)

Did you not try re-booting to see what the message said if it appeared next time. (when you were awake)

edit
Please ignore comments above, I replied without reading page 2 (missed it)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 01:18:43 PM by oldfogy »

whitlog

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 12:40:22 PM »

Ye i did, it never showed again, but if and when it appears again I will note it down

whitlog

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 11:01:26 AM »

As I mentioned it had started showing a new message when i boot my system up, it did it again this morning.

After the first boot up screen when it then shows a list of things in your system it stops there and says near the bottom

"Warning CPU has been changed please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit

"Press F1 to continue , Del to enter setup"

then after i press F1 i get the usual "insert bootable Disk" a few times as i restart my Pc, then after a bit it boots up fully and seems sluggish and then will freeze at a random time, sometimes a hour in or maybe 3 hours after it started

So should i email them at let the company know or will the new Hard drive they are going to send me fix this? I cant see how it can since it talks about the PU and not the hard drive

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »

That's a very strange warning message, but I suppose that you need to go into the BIOS setup and do what it says. I don't recall ever having to do that manually, but maybe all will be revealed when you get into the BIOS setup. I can't imagine that the hard disk has anything to do with it - actually it sounds more like a memory problem, even though you've done a memory test.
  Eric

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 10:51:01 AM »

I am not sure that the error is memory related.  More like a BIOS battery.  Why would it forget the CPU settings, unless you've been changing jumpers on the MoBo and what not.  Also, if it is a BIOS bug it may simply need to be flashed with the latest BIOS firmware.  Perhaps you can try that and if it doesn't fix it then send it back and claim on the warranty.
Regards,
Mick

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 04:32:27 PM »

I was about to comment on the BIOS battery, then got to the bottom of the page.
Yes, it could be worth changing the battery first, especially as they are not very expensive.

WARNING:
Flashing the BIOS if not done correctly could also damage the PC "permanently" and possibly also invalidate your warranty.

Get them to pick it up and get it sorted by their techies.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 04:35:59 PM »

Personally I doubt it would be the BIOS battery on a newish PC, but you never know.  As others have suggested, get it sorted out under the terms of your guarantee.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 09:13:51 AM »

You are right Mick - def the BIOS battery.  the boot error is because of the defaults being loaded each time the machine is switched off and it'll be defaulting to external boot or something like that.

get a new battery, reset BIOS defaults, check the boot order is correct and bob's ya uncle.

Paul

whitlog

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 06:48:07 PM »

will do thanks :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 08:39:24 PM »

I don't know if this topic will be of any good but certainly worth taking a look at.
"Especially on how to repair a MBR (Master Boot Repair)"
(Even when the initial test says "Nothing Wrong")

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=145710

whitlog

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 09:26:51 PM »

thanks will defo have a look :)

whitlog

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 01:04:06 PM »

so i got the new HD and it seems to have sorted out all my probs , apart from my DVD-rom but thats another story (thread). thanks for the help with this :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3