Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pc Probs  (Read 14042 times)

whitlog

Pc Probs
« on: October 28, 2008, 10:22:15 PM »

ok my Pc is only a few months old and I have had no probs until now.

Last week when I booted it up now and then it would have a message on the first boot screen saying that my cpu had some changes to it

now this week it has just frozen a few times so i have had to reboot, it has also when booting up just stoppped before the windows vista sign appers and also tonight when booting up it asked to insert the bootble disk

any ideas what could be wrong?

thanks for any help

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: Pc Probs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:52:36 PM »

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you are having a few bootup problems.

The key part of your post is

my Pc is only a few months old

Before trying any attempts at curing the problem with advice from forums, get it back to where you bought it from along with your receipt. Let them sort it whilst it is under guarantee.

Any attempt by yourself that 'back fires' will result in the guarantee being voided, the possibility of any programs and folders being lost and you ending up with a very expensive door stopper.

Please understand that I am not saying the advice on here is not the best (it IS the best) but you should never attempt to repair a machine of any description that is still under guarantee.

dave 

whitlog

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:04:01 AM »

ye true,I guess the thought of getting them to look at it, send it to them etc put me of

but I have emailed the company to try get this resolved, thanks

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: PC Probs
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:15:59 AM »

If you end-up returning it to them, make sure you have backed-up any files you want to keep to an "external" source first.
 Backing up the files now could be a good idea, you could then try a manufactures restore if you have their disc to see if that also solves the problem.

> any ideas what could be wrong?
It sounds a little like the MBR (Master Boot Recovery) files has possibly been damaged.
You could try a repair.
Insert the Vista disc and re-boot the PC booting to the CD/DVD drive, then select the "Repair" option, it only takes about two (yes 2) minutes to repair, if that is the problem.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:21:02 AM by oldfogy »

whitlog

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:31:34 AM »

Ye good point, I will back up any things i want to keep, saying that i dont have too much to back up as it only being a few months old.

The replied to my problem and said they though it looked like the bios profile had changed. They gave me instructions as to what to change it back to and so far so good :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:59:49 AM »

"If it's not to late"

When you first go into the BIOS, I would advise you to carefully make a note of "ALL" the individual settings before changing anything.

Admittedly this move won't be as drastic as a BIOS upgrade which could end-up killing the PC totally if not done properly.
But at least if it still does not sort the problem then again you can easily revert back to the older settings.

whitlog

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:52:57 PM »

ye good shout

I made a note of things and also made sure I saved the settings as a profile so I could go back to them if it went bad

so far no probs but time will tell yet

idlewilde

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »

1): Which version of Vista are you using?
2): Can you post the system specs? CPU, MoBo, GPU?
3): Has it been overclocked?
4): Have you made any modifications to the base system? Any additions/deviations?

Any report that says the BIOS has been changed/modified makes me *very* curious. There would have to be some changes in order for the BIOS to report this, so even if you've added/removed some hardware, can you please let us know?

whitlog

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 05:13:05 PM »

after still more probs the tech team who have been emailing me think its a boot up prob after i emailed them a message in the bios with the sata 3 so just waiting for them to see what they decide to do next

whitlog

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 08:32:07 PM »

well before they closed he sent me a email saying after the info i gave them he thinks my hard drive is dying, he gave me 2 options, 1. send it to them and they sort it or 2. send the hard drive to me and i fit it, I have never fit a HD but have fitted ram etc, its not that that bothers me buts 2 other things!. would I have to mess with the bios and 2. would it affect the warranty if i did it so that's what I asked him and will get a reply tomorrow hopefully

idlewilde

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »

well before they closed he sent me a email saying after the info i gave them he thinks my hard drive is dying, he gave me 2 options, 1. send it to them and they sort it or 2. send the hard drive to me and i fit it, I have never fit a HD but have fitted ram etc, its not that that bothers me buts 2 other things!. would I have to mess with the bios and 2. would it affect the warranty if i did it so that's what I asked him and will get a reply tomorrow hopefully

Fitting a hard drive is very easy. As simple as mounting it with screws into the chassis, and connecting an IDE/SATA cable and a power cable.

The BIOS will pick up the new drive easy enough, and it will boot up accordingly.

However, is the new drive a primary/master or secondary/slave drive? As in, does the Ooperating System sit on it?

Warranty? If they're sending you out a new drive, it doesn't affect the warranty.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 12:14:35 AM »

after i emailed them a message in the bios with the sata 3

First of all, SATA drives do not need to be configured as Master or Slave.

Secondly, did you try my suggestion above with regards to repairing the MBR ?

Finally, if they send you the HDD, then it will probably be blank and you will have to re-install windows.
Not forgetting you will also lose any manufactures backup/recover software on the drive.

So the best think to do is to "Clone" your old drive, then re-install the clone file onto the new HDD.
If you can still access your old drive, then just insert the new drive into the PC and clone it over.

Personally I would take it back to the shop and let them do it.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 10:20:29 AM »

Personally I would take it back to the shop and let them do it.

Same here, let them do it for you :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

whitlog

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 09:30:13 AM »

Sorry for the late reply

I have not tried the fix yet but I am getting the Windows CD brought to where I live now to try it, I had arranged for them to send me the disk as I Thought it would be quicker.

But this morning I noticed a new message when I was half asleep which started Warning and something about the cpu but as I said I was half a sleep and missed it as I pressed F1 to carry on the boot up

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 10:05:06 AM »

Sorry for the late reply

I have not tried the fix yet but I am getting the Windows CD brought to where I live now to try it, I had arranged for them to send me the disk as I Thought it would be quicker.

But this morning I noticed a new message when I was half asleep which started Warning and something about the cpu but as I said I was half a sleep and missed it as I pressed F1 to carry on the boot up

Worries me when you say they are sending you a CD, you should always have the CDs for all the software installed when they supplied the PC just so problems like this can be sorted when out of warranty.

Like others have said take it back and make them fix it and give you a full set of CD's.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: [1] 2 3