Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Master Socket Advice?  (Read 11968 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Master Socket Advice?
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:09:59 PM »

Hi All,

I have got hold of my cabling now, and will be wiring it in tomorrow.

I have the old style master socket:-
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n217/jamieidavies/adsl/DSCF1881.jpg

Is it ok for me to add the extra wires into the IDC terminals with the Krone, or am I not allowed to do that, as it has only just come to me ???

Also, how can I get an NTE5 installed? Who do I need to contact to get one?

Many Thanks

Jamie :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Master Socket Advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 12:54:56 PM »

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

(Scroll down to the bottom of the page)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »

Looking at that photo...
I see the extension coming out of the back/side of the socket.
I see the adsl filter plugged in to the front. (with the black cable plugged in)

BUT I also see some more cable just hidden out of view... what is that... where is that connected to?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:44:39 PM »

Looking at that photo...
I see the extension coming out of the back/side of the socket.
I see the adsl filter plugged in to the front. (with the black cable plugged in)

BUT I also see some more cable just hidden out of view... what is that... where is that connected to?

The one under the sill, by the cable out of the side is for an outside light.

And the one under the window is the drop wire coming into the master.
Kind Regards
Jamie

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:53:41 PM »

Please give details of each cable, numbered 1 to 4, as to where they are connected at EACH end.
The ones into the side of the BT socket, (1 & 2), which terminals are they connected to.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:56:22 PM »

Ok, I should of thought of doing that ???

1 - Drop wire from outside
2 - (older CAT5e cable leading upstairs to router
3 - Rubbish extension which I believe is causing problems (also for Sky)
4 - Nothing to do with telephone and is for the lantern outside.

Also, black wire is for the phone...
Kind Regards
Jamie

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 07:52:56 PM »

Does No. 3 go into the BT terminal box?

how can I get an NTE5 installed?
You could phone BT and ask it they would be good enough to come out and change it for free.

You must remember that BT terminal sockets are the property of BT and must not be tampered with.
You 'cannot' change it for a NTE5.
http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/BTsocketNTE5.html

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 09:02:13 PM »

>>Does No. 3 go into the BT terminal box?

No it goes into that splitter which i am going to be replacing with a CAT5e cable instead.

>>You must remember that BT terminal sockets are the property of BT and must not be tampered with.
You 'cannot' change it for a NTE5.

I understand that.

>>You could phone BT and ask it they would be good enough to come out and change it for free.
Would it matter if I have Tiscali Line Rental, and if not who do I need to ring, would you happen to know the number?
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 09:25:58 PM »

Its No 3 that I was querying, since I couldnt see where or how it was connected, and what looked strange to me.

As an aside - No 4 the lantern - is it a PIR device?  These are very well known to cause problems with adsl.

Also - is it possible for you to remove the filter, undo the 2 screws and take a photo showing the internal wiring of that socket, just so we can have a look and check how its all connected up.
I like to see where inside the box, and also how the extensions are wired up to the reverse of the LJU2 - kinda like this but showing the wiring.

As regards to an NTE-5.. thats what I was saying you needed the bt engineer to do last time he was out at your house.  Otherwise I believe the charge for "normalisation" of you master socket to an NTE5 is £25.
The other option is the DIY version which roseway pointed out at the bottom of this page.

As dave said, you cant actually to a straight swap for an NTE5 unless its done by a BT engineer, they will know if youve done that... because only a BT fitted NTE5 has the official Openreach logo.
However, you can "piggy back" to a new NTE5 located right next to the old LJU2 - see the pic on the above page on how to wire it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:28:27 PM »

>> Would it matter if I have Tiscali Line Rental, and if not who do I need to ring, would you happen to know the number?

You'd have to request it through your telecom (phone) provider - in this case Tiscali, who has to arrange normalisation via Openreach. Sorry dont know the number.

>> No it goes into that splitter which i am going to be replacing with a CAT5e cable instead.

Just to confirm - it plugs into the BT doubler next to the black phone cable?
If thats the case then its fine - was just checking.
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 09:42:34 PM »

Wire 3 is part of the doubler, its one of those cheepo extensions which I believe is messing up the broadband :no:

The lantern isn't a PIR no, and it is hardly never on, but I have checked to see if it does cause problems when on, which it doesn't

I will get a pic of the inside hopefully tomorrow, when I wire up the cabling, which will be going directly into the IDC terminals inside the socket. Otherwise it will be Thursday, i'll keep you posted on the Extension front :)

Mum isn't very happy as I have to rip up all of the carpets :shoot: :angry:

Right, so to get an NTE5, I will have to request it through Tiscali, and its called a normalisation is it?

Dw about the number, the Gadget Shows recent article on Download Caps, has a freephone number for Tiscali so will give it a try maybe this week:D

Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 10:03:57 PM »

Okay thanks..

re the lantern was just checking just in case.

>> Mum isn't very happy as I have to rip up all of the carpets

I Dont blame her  :lol:

>> so to get an NTE5, I will have to request it through Tiscali, and its called a normalisation is it?

Yes - it must go through their "phone side" and not the broadband side though.. and yes the correct term is "Master socket normalisation".  The going Openreach rate is around £25.. but you need to check with Tiscali how much they will charge you.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 10:29:05 PM »

The going Openreach rate is around £25.. but you need to check with Tiscali how much they will charge you.
£25 + VAT.
BUT I believe that's the charge for doing that if they are there anyway. If asked to do it on its own there could well be (huge) callout and time charges too, so don't agree to anything without a firm price quoted up front.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 07:57:17 AM »

The going Openreach rate is around £25.. but you need to check with Tiscali how much they will charge you.
£25 + VAT.
BUT I believe that's the charge for doing that if they are there anyway. If asked to do it on its own there could well be (huge) callout and time charges too, so don't agree to anything without a firm price quoted up front.

I was wondering that seemed a bit cheap for Openreach! :lol:

I will ring up perhaps next week and see what Tiscali say.

@Kitz, will try and get those photos today or tomorrow:D
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 06:39:30 PM »

Right...

I have now wired up my new cabling:D

I had a bit of a job getting the wires into the IDC connection 2 as it wouldn't hold more than two cables >:( I sorted it eventually though:D

I have now got these stats with a 6dB Target (bare in mind uptime is only minutes):-
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n217/jamieidavies/adsl/dmt20081029_1836.png
(the errors are from when the IDC wasn't correctly connected and causing awful crackling on the phone, happened a few times...)

I will have to resync in the morning and see how it performs as around 10am there is loads of noise around and at about 7pm too >:(

I will get hold of a picture from inside tomorrow although the SNR seems to be OK at the moment :-X
Kind Regards
Jamie

Pages: [1] 2 3

anything