Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Spineless BBC  (Read 17659 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Spineless BBC
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2008, 05:35:21 PM »

Chicken.  :P
My mates and I always discuss those things (among others) down the pub most Thursday evenings.
It can get quite "robust" at times, but hey we're blokes and don't bear grudges (well not from a drinking session anyway)

scottiesmum

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »

Scottiesmum, of course you have not given offence............you put your points logically, clearly and civilly. No-one objects to that.

(It's the suns that got us riled  :lol: )

:lol: :lol:

:o :o :o   I've just been outside to shut some shutters  and the temperature has plummeted    >:( >:(   that should give you a warm glow TD  :lol:

I hope it zooms up again soon  .... a trip was on the cards for next week   :-\ :'(

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2008, 06:19:37 PM »

I've stayed out of this one, as I didn't hear the programme or the context in which the remarks were made.
As it took the media a week to pick up on this I'm inclined to think that there's a sub-text going on here.

That aside I am surprised that as this was pre-recorded it was allowed to be broadcast unedited, but that of course would have probably meant having to admit it was not a live show, as many listeners  thought it was, which may account for the initial two complaints only, which I believe was about the swearing, not the stupid phone calls.

I am not a fan of either of these two gentlemen and my idea of purgatory would be having to listen to these two on a Saturday afternoon, but there are more people than these two involved, a whole production team, surely someone knew that their behaviour was unacceptable, for broadcast at least, but apparently not.

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2008, 06:22:40 PM »

I think the basic issue I have with this whole affair is that Brand, Ross and the BBC have broken the law by harassing Sachs via the telephone. There's far too much "one law for them, one for the rest of us" in the UK now anyway - although it is mainly politicians who get away with routinely breaking the law, but "celebs" get away with it as well. If I did this and was reported I'd be prosecuted or at the very least receive a caution.

Bets on that happening to Brand, Ross and whoever sanctioned the offence at the BBC?

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2008, 06:55:40 PM »

>> That would happen to be 'up her jumper' by any chance?

Nope.

Ooh you little minx.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2008, 08:25:53 PM »

(It's the suns that got us riled  :lol: )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No thats just pure jealousy (it is for me anyhow)  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2008, 11:04:26 AM »

The name of this thread sums it up.
Johnathon Ross suspended without pay (I'm sure he'll find it a financial hardship) for 12 weeks.
This foul mouthed uncouth moron is still getting away with it,if (which he clearly hasn't) got any decency about him he would have resigned.
This is not just about the phone calls,he has been getting away with  unacceptable behaviour for far too long.People should vote with their remote controls and switch over whenever he is back on air.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2008, 11:10:20 AM »

You're so right Uncy, Ross is an experienced broadcaster and should have known better... it's not enough to leave it to the program editors (who seem to have escaped punishment so far)... and a pity the station controller decided to fall on her sword.

THE DG needs to sack Ross and then do the honourable thing himself.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2008, 11:43:06 AM »

You're so right Uncy, Ross is an experienced broadcaster and should have known better... it's not enough to leave it to the program editors (who seem to have escaped punishment so far)... and a pity the station controller decided to fall on her sword.

THE DG needs to sack Ross and then do the honourable thing himself.

It isn't the first time Brand and Ross have been in trouble for their Radio 2 Broadcasts.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2008, 11:45:23 AM »

The real issue for me is not just the details of this case, but what it highlights about the BBC and the way it works. We're in the middle of a serious financial turndown, the commercial TV companies are having to tighten their belts because of reduced advertising revenue, but the BBC is totally insulated from such problems by its assured income from our licence fees. In such circumstances the BBC must preserve very high standards. But it doesn't; it competes for viewing figures at the same lowest-common-denominator level as the commercial companies, and sacrifices quality for popularity. It doesn't have to pay outrageous salaries to the likes of JR, but it chooses to in order to court popularity. That's my money and yours which they are spending, and irritates me no end.
  Eric

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2008, 12:18:30 PM »

Twelve weeks suspension! Without pay!  :'(

I wonder how he will manage on just 75% of his annual salary of (reportedly) £6m.

He will have to struggle to make ends meet this year with only £4,500,000 coming in.

Unless he does a bit 'on the side' for the 3 months that he is not working. Some commercial radio station will probably try to grab him to 'boost' their listeners figures.

dave  >:(

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2008, 12:19:01 PM »

Yes, it would be good if the government decided to cut the licence fee and BBC budget by, say 10%.
It would make them sit up and think a bit, like most businesses have to all the time.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »

the BBC is totally insulated from such problems by its assured income from our licence fees

... which is inflation protected

In such circumstances the BBC must preserve very high standards. But it doesn't; it competes for viewing figures at the same lowest-common-denominator level as the commercial companies, and sacrifices quality for popularity.

That's how we end up with drivel like 'Hole in the Wall'... and we thought 'Pets Win Prizes' was bad.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2008, 01:38:06 PM »

That's how we end up with drivel like 'Hole in the Wall'... and we thought 'Pets Win Prizes' was bad.

Does anyone actually watch that garbage.  :no:

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2008, 02:26:45 PM »

Does anyone actually watch that garbage.  :no:

I prefer to listen to Harry Hill's commentary on You've Been Framed... I don't watch it, but HH is hilarious to listen to.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything