Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Spineless BBC  (Read 17649 times)

scottiesmum

Re: Spineless BBC
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 09:01:18 AM »

I agree totally Kitz that what they did was totally unacceptable and that they should be disciplined, so should the person who allowed it to be broadcast despite it being pre-recorded.   The problem  I have with all of this is the 'bandwagon' mentality that has taken over.   The ONLY people to come out of this with any credibility at all are the TWO people who complained at the time of the broadcast, and I believe their complaints were about the language involved.      The newspaper media  has had an agenda for a long long time, certainly regarding Jonathan Ross, and the main factor is his salary !   I can think of a lot of people in far more prominent positions, earning large salaries, that have done far more harm than he has, and it seems that  petty jealousies are now dictating their latest agenda.  I have listened to several 'phone ins' discussing this item, and the majority of the 'band wagon complainers' have all said they don't like one or the other or both of these presenters.  I don't feel that that should come into it at all.   For Gordon Brown to talk about 'inappropriate behaviour' is risible as far as I'm concerned.   

To my mind the whole think has escalated out of  all proportion.   Yes, all  the people concerned should be castigated by their employers  not by a lynch mob press,  and people who, prior to it being plastered all over the media, wouldn't have had a clue the programme had been transmitted in the first place.

If Andrew Sachs was embarrassed before, and I'm sure he was, he will be far more embarrassed now.  His granddaughter may be getting more publicity than she ever thought possible, which I have a feeling she won't be complaining about.  However, even though she is not the shy retiring type, that doesn't excuse the behaviour and  she should not have been  the subject of this 'item'. 

I realise that I am in a minority of one on this subject   :)     but I'm hoping to be able to continue with my viewing and listening in the not too distant future.   

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »

I got a formal warning once for telling my line manager where to stuff something...

That would happen to be 'up her jumper' by any chance?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2008, 10:43:09 AM »

>> That would happen to be 'up her jumper' by any chance?

Nope.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 12:18:51 PM »

SUSPENDED ,well at least its a step in the right direction,but.....................

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7696714.stm

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 02:12:04 PM »

SUSPENDED ,well at least its a step in the right direction,but.....................

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7696714.stm

Yes true Uncy... but..... no doubt after all the furore they will be allowed to "perform" again.  There's no shame in this country now and no respect so it's not surprising that (a) these things happen and (b) no one is ostracised and punished
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

scottiesmum

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 02:32:14 PM »

If the BBC suspends, bans or completely take off the air all the programmes that involve items that may cause offence to different people, they would be left with very little to broadcast.    The only reason this action has now been taken is because Gordon Brown decided to get a bit of the attention, and  a Motion was tabled this morning in the Commons.   I find it startling that politicians are able to dictate, to any extent, as to what is or is not broadcast on a public service broadcasting service and anyone who has been worried about the PC Brigade and Nanny State interference would have reason to be worried now. 

The BBC should have dealt with it following the TWO  original complaints and avoided all the ooh-ha that has since taken place. 

I understand  that some on here are offended and I hope I've not added to that offence, but I really do hope the programmes are reinstated soon, not simply because I want to listen/watch again, but because  I fear this could be the start of a slippery downward slide. 

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2008, 02:51:37 PM »

Gordon Brown decided to get a bit of the attention,
If I recall correctly he was about the last person to comment; David Cameron & Co having got there first, so should he ignore it?
As for any commons motion, that will almost certainly be an individual MP after a bit of publicity - any idea who it is?  ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2008, 03:03:09 PM »

I understand  that some on here are offended and I hope I've not added to that offence, but I really do hope the programmes are reinstated soon, not simply because I want to listen/watch again, but because  I fear this could be the start of a slippery downward slide. 

No offence taken here Kate,everyone has to be able to have their own opinion.  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 03:06:02 PM »

HP  ...   Nigel Evans   ...  he was the MP for the area I used to live in the UK, ( he was known locally as "Evans the Loser" as he managed to lose the Ribble Valley seat for the Conservatives for the first time - probably since records began !!! ;D )    he didn't impress me then and he doesn't now  :)

Re Brown's intervention ... I know others piped up before him, but I would have thought he had enough problems for the moment  ;)

Unc  ... :flower:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 03:22:12 PM »

Re Brown's intervention ... I know others piped up before him, but I would have thought he had enough problems for the moment  ;)
Indeed, so you would think people should have had the common sense not to ask him, but they just can't resist.  :-X

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008, 03:31:30 PM »

>> I understand  that some on here are offended and I hope I've not added to that offence

Not at all Kate - everyone is entitled to voice their own opinion.
You put your side across and your reasons why you feel the way you do...  just like the rest of us..  and I have no problem with that.

As long as the debate is reasonable then people are free to put their own PoV across.  It would be a pretty boring world if we all thought the same.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

scottiesmum

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 04:49:19 PM »

:)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »

Scottiesmum, of course you have not given offence............you put your points logically, clearly and civilly. No-one objects to that.

(It's the suns that got us riled  :lol: )

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2008, 05:14:23 PM »

(It's the suns that got us riled  :lol: )

Well now you mention it TD..................................................... :D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2008, 05:32:06 PM »

mmm Politics,,,,, I'm staying out of that one, as there can never be a winner it will always be a political hotbed for discussion.

Three topics that should never be discussed over alcohol=
Politics
Religion
Work
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5