Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Spineless BBC  (Read 17629 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Spineless BBC
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »

OFCOM are now involved but what will come of it is anyones guess.
Bet they don't get sacked.

Last time he was up before OFCOM  he got away with it Ofcom ruled Brand's comments were acceptable.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 11:42:53 AM »

Brand = uncouth druggie
Ross  = Lecherous,foul mouthed pervert

Will anything happen from this,I will be amazed if it does.

Come on BBC,have some backbone and boot them out NOW.

scottiesmum

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 11:43:45 AM »

The programme was 'aired' on the 18th October.  It has emerged that originally the BBC received 2 complaints.  Since the media have got hold of this in the last couple of days the complaints have increased to something like 1600  !  either the other 1598 didn't listen to the original broadcast, or, if they did they didn't find it offensive, or,  they decided to wait 10 days before realising they were offended.   :'(

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 12:04:10 PM »

either the other 1598 didn't listen to the original broadcast

More than likely.
They may have listened out of curiosity after seeing links to the broadcast, but that does not stop them complaining.

I have not witnessed live preachings by the anti-British muslim stirrers, only seen repeats when I been told about them, but that would not preclude me from lodging a complaint.

Kate, don't blame the media for the number of complaints, all they appear to have done is draw it to the public's attention.

dave

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »

I don't think any significant action will be taken against the presenters or the programme.

The BBC will be happy that an otherwise obscure programme has had a great deal of free publicity...........the ratings for that slot will now go over the moon.

scottiesmum

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »

Dave, I'm not blaming the media for the public complaints, I am a little sceptical though  when people only decide to go looking for the item in order to complain.  Had they been listening to the original programme and complained immediately, that would be a different matter.  I also find it ironic that the tabloid press should suddenly start taking the high ground !

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »

I've been listening to the debate about it on Talksport this morning, and interestingly quite a few people have commented that had this happened on a BBC local radio station, the presenters would have been fired on the spot.

Some of the older ones on here will probably remember when Kenny Everett was fired from Radio 1 for making a joke about the then Minister of Transport's wife passing her driving test.

My, how times have changed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Everett
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 03:23:42 PM »

I've not listened to the program and I don't want to, as Jonothan Ross's voice makes me feel depressed and unwell.  I've heard it called 'irritable vowel syndrome'

However.... if the calls were genuinely offensive, then surely the pair could and should be prosecuted under normal civil/criminal law and punished accordingly, regardless of whether or not the BBC sacks them.  I'd hate to think that just because they work for the BBC they were above prosecution?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 03:59:46 PM »

Currently stuck in an exchange waiting for something to be sorted and I spotted this:

Currently on radio 4

15:45 Running Away

Actor Andrew Sachs takes a trip to London Zoo.

Wonder what "animals" might catch his attention their ?  ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 04:06:06 PM »

heh

btw - the one thing that I am curious about.. that I dont seem to have seen much mention about is... 
Apparently this started because Sachs was meant to be doing an interview with them that day.. and didnt turn up.. which is why they decided to phone him in the first place

Has anyone heard of why he didnt turn up for the slot... or anything more on that?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »

Over 10000 complaints now and rising

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7695951.stm

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 06:14:07 PM »

Gordon Brown's joined in as well now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7695951.stm

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »

bandwaggon springs to mind.

-----

scottiesmum

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 11:21:01 PM »

Witch-hunt springs to my mind. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 11:35:45 PM »

I still think they deserve a some sort of punishment even if it is a slap on the wrist.   Theyve both done this sort of stuff before admittedly not as bad..

If you or me did anything like that at work - then we'd have to face the consequences.   

I got a formal warning once for telling my line manager where to stuff something when at the real end of my tether.. and after it was she who was actually in the wrong.
It was only when I got the union involved , and it was found out that it was she who was wrong... and the backing of a Branch manager who'd known me for about 10 years who said in all that time he'd never heard me say that word before (professionally or socially) and I had been provoked, that it was dropped.

If I can get a formal warning for co-incidenatally using the same word that Johnathon Ross did why the hell should they get off scott free with what they did.

I think what they did was wrong and it isnt acceptable.
Our kids are supposed to look up to these sort of people and its hardly setting a good example is it.
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5