Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Spineless BBC  (Read 17644 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Spineless BBC
« on: October 27, 2008, 06:55:50 PM »

Why has the BBC apologised to Andrew Sachs over the phone calls made by Johnathon Ross and Russell Brand.The pair of them should be sacked with immediate effect..Here you have two people with no talent picking up millions in wages via the licence payer.I thought menacing phone calls were a criminal offence.If he had said that about my grand daughter ,well lets just say he would be having soup for a very long time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7692911.stm
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:37:39 AM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Spineless BBC
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 06:59:40 PM »

I totally agree with you Phil. It was absolutely disgraceful behaviour, and the pair of them should have been straight out of the door.
  Eric

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »

That's three of us who agree.  >:(
dave

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 09:35:29 PM »

And me.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 09:40:09 PM »

Me five

Why has the BBC apologised to Andrew Sachs over the phone calls made by Johnathon Ross and Russell Brand.The pair of them should be sacked with immeadiate effect..Here you have two people with no talent picking up millions in wages via the licence payer.I thought menacing phone calls were a criminal offence.If he had said that about my grand daughter ,well lets just say he would be having soup for a very long time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7692911.stm

IMO it seems celebrities could get away with anything as long as they apologised which really gets me  >:( . And if those two pillocks had said that about any family member of mine they'd be in a coma let alone eating soup.  >:( >:(
Imagine™

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:58:51 PM »

It seems to be just about the trend these days for presenters to do what the hell that like

I was listening to the radio the other week and one of the presenters was belching loudly.   One listener phoned in saying that he thought it was rude and could they please refrain.
At which point the presenters ridiculed the person who had phoned in and started belching even louder and more often.

TBH I thought it was pretty disgusting..  I didnt phone in..  but put it this way - I havent listened to that show on rad 1 since.

It was rude - it wasnt funny - the person who phoned in didnt deserve to be ridiculed... and its not clever.. and there was absolutely no need for it.  It reminded me of a 5 y/o behaviour.
I guess I voted with my feet - or in this instance with the tune in button.

But this is the sort of thing, and the type of presenters, that our youth of today are supposed to look up to. :mad:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 08:32:44 AM »

I agree with Uncy and said the same when I first saw the news about it.  Disgusting behaviour and condoned by their bosses or else they would sack them....how can they allow this to happen and then let them get away with it.  Oh yes, I forgot they are "celebrities" so that's all right then!  >:(

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 08:49:36 AM »

I notice there's not much about it on the BBC website this morning even though there has been over 1500 complaints about.Why do we the licence payer have to put up with this.Johnathon Ross IMO has no talent what so ever,but is on a £18 million contract with the BBC. >:(.
I dread to think what that other scruffy moron is on. :no:

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 09:21:12 AM »

Yup, could not agree more with the sentiments expressed here by other forumites.

I think 'Wossy' has been on borrowed time for quite some while, as he doesn't appear to possess one ounce of talent as far as I can see.

Just my 2 cents worth.

TTFN

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »

This is a disgraceful episode, but unfortunately nowadays it is not a rare event in the BBC, an organisation that I despise and loathe with all my might.

There are at least four people who should be immediately sacked from the BBC.

1) The two tawdry and irrelevant presenters who created the offending article.
2) The programme controller/producer of the show in which these presenters appeared. It transpires that the offending item was recorded two days before it was broadcast. The controller/producer then had two days in which to review the programme and has then either made the positive decision to allowed the thing to be aired or was negligent enough to not know what the item contained.
3) The person within the BBC who allowed the £18m (million) contract to be negotiated and signed in order to secure the services of a nonentity.

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »

I think the storm is gathering over them, we haven't seen the end of this yet.  I really do hope they get the sack, apart from anything else, their 'joke' was the most unfunny thing ever.

I also hope the poor girl they maligned sues them

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 09:49:48 AM »

I really do hope they get the sack, apart from anything else, their 'joke' was the most unfunny thing ever.

The BBC will be totally spineless if they don't sack these over inflated (and overpaid) egotistical prats. 

Remember, they fired Angus Deaton from HIGNFY for allegations about his private life - nothing to do with his on-air performances.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 09:55:08 AM »

I didn't hear the offending programme at all and I've not listened to any part of any repeat broadcasts.    I will admit now to being a 'Wossy' fan,  I watch his Friday night show if I am home, and although I do not like offensive language  which is sometimes  evident, I do find his actual show entertaining, depending on the guests.   I also find his Saturday radio show entertaining and sometimes very informative.      I  think he is an excellent film buff too.    I have not listened to Russell Brand at all, but I realise that his 'humour' is risqué and no secret is made of that.   As with Jonathan Ross people have the choice of whether they watch or listen to them or not.

I do not condone offensive behaviour, and I do not enjoy foul language in any form.   Humour is a very emotive subject and appeals to people in different ways; this is evident even on the forum where I was offended recently by, in  my opinion, some 'barrack room jokes'  on the other  hand, some people found the jokes funny.   

The programme in question was pre-recorded and there are 'safety devices' in place at the BBC whereby anything that is regarded as  OTT, which, I agree , (from what I have read and heard since about) was the case in this instance, the programme can be immediately edited and in some cases  taken off air.   IMHO the BBC failed in its duty as a public broadcaster, that is not to say that Jonathan Ross and Russell  Brand didn't fail in there duty to serve the public, they made a huge judgement of error.   

I agree that both presenters should be disciplined,  I would  not however call for their heads.     There may even be repercussions via OFCOM.     I have heard a lot of hypocrisy since this story broke,   with a lot of  people jumping on a bandwagon. not least Kelvin MacKenzie, the ex-editor of the Sun, whom as far as I am concerned is one of the most disagreeable,  foul mouthed people ever to appear on television. 

I know I am definitely in the minority on this one.   

PS... I didn't agree with Angus Deaton being sacked either.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:57:13 AM by scottiesmum »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 11:23:15 AM »

Out of curiousity, I just listened to the program,  To be perfectly honest it sounded like Brand was "on sommat" to me.
There were quite a few times when Ross did try to pull him up.. but I'm sure he could have tried harder and not encouraged him.  Totally agree that the Beeb could have done way more to stop this behaviour before it went too far.  Brand just kept digging himself further into a hole about Sachs grand-daughter.. nope not funny at all.  I hope she takes it further.

Its not like this is the first time for Brand is it..  How many other times has he had to issue official apologies after similar type incidents and letting his mouth run away with him.. and how many times has he been thrown out of venues for his bad and/or offensive behaviour.

The comparison with Angus Deayton being sacked is an interesting one - Deayton was sacked for what - taking cocaine and sleeping with prostitutes.
Hmm..  Brand has done just about every drug there is - including being a herion addict and his sexual erm tendencies well..  lets not even go there.

If the beeb sacked Deayton...  its total hypocrisy if they dont with Brand.  What Deayton did in his private life was small fry compared to what Brand has done in his.
This is public though, and its not the first time.. and he's obviously not learnt from past behaviour.. saying sorry doesnt really cut it when he keeps on doing it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »

OFCOM are now involved but what will come of it is anyones guess.
Bet they don't get sacked.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7694921.stm
dave
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything