Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: New Router Question  (Read 32986 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: New Router Question
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2009, 08:39:13 AM »

Thats what your router estimates it will do - but bear in mind the figure is a snapshot at that particular moment in time during the sync + bit allocation stage.  It cant possibly account for fluctuations in SNR.

According to the maximum speed calculator, a 40dB line in good condition should sync at around 9000kbps with the default 6dB SNR. Then add on another 1200 kbps for 3dB of target SNR (appx 400 per dB) and you get circa 10Mbps - so the figures do seem to tie up.

So yes it will probably sync at that speed, but if you have large SNRM fluctuations, then obviously you will run into problems.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2009, 04:30:57 PM »

How do i get the slide lower than 10%?

I saw the post from Jid with that adsl command but I dont get it fully.

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2009, 04:35:34 PM »

I can't even telnet into it as it says connection lost.  I have enabled telnet via remote management.

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2009, 04:58:43 PM »

I found out how to get onto telnet. I had to close DMT tool before doing it but i cant log on. It wont let me log on via telnet, i can enter my login name but when it asks for a password it don't let me type anything.

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »

Never mind, i got it to work but by using both Jid's and Broadstairs' commands i cannot get the SNR lower than the 10% on the slider. I tries adsl configure --snr 1 but that gives me a 3.0db just like 10% on the slider.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2009, 08:06:18 PM »

Never mind, i got it to work but by using both Jid's and Broadstairs' commands i cannot get the SNR lower than the 10% on the slider. I tries adsl configure --snr 1 but that gives me a 3.0db just like 10% on the slider.

The cmd I gave was:-
adslctl configure --snr 1

After clicking the send button you will need to refresh DMT to see the new stats.

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2009, 08:35:04 PM »

Ok i'll try it, what does snr 1 make the snr then? 100% is 6db for me so...

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2009, 08:36:03 PM »

Says not found.

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2009, 08:53:04 PM »

Ok, i used the adsl configure command posted by broadstairs and even if i make it snr 1 when i refresh dmt it still syncs with a SNR of 3db ( which is the lowest on the slider, 10%). So, is there any way i can go lower than that or not?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2009, 08:56:24 PM »

Ok, i used the adsl configure command posted by broadstairs and even if i make it snr 1 when i refresh dmt it still syncs with a SNR of 3db ( which is the lowest on the slider, 10%). So, is there any way i can go lower than that or not?

If u try it early in the morning it may go lower...

You are trying it a little late in the evening perhaps?
Kind Regards
Jamie

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2009, 09:06:45 PM »

But if i asked o2 to lower my noise margin to 3db and then used say 50% on the slider it would be about 1.5ish. So?

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2009, 09:10:23 PM »

Basically, what i done is ask o2 to raise my target noise margin to 9db which makes my upstream SNR 9db. This way the router will not disconnect when i make or receive a phone call as the SNR wont drop a full 9db to trigger a resync. But with the SNR raised to 9db 10% on the slide is 3.0db. I just want to know if i can make it 1.5, 1.0 etc with any command. The one you gave doesn't work because even after i do adsl configure --snr 1 or say even 9 the target margin is 3.0db as set on the slider (10%).

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2009, 09:19:59 PM »

got a big problem! Whenever i use dmt tool or restart the router it always uses ADSL2, i even ticked the box in dmt tool and it still syncs with adsl2.

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »

Sorry if im annoying you, its just that im playing around with the new router  :-[

I got the ADSL2+ working again. What im trying to do is find a way of getting the SNR lower than the 10%. When i set it to 10% and apply/resync it resyncs on a 3.7 noise margin but if i use the adsl configure --snr 1 command it syncs with 3.0 snr. Problem is i can't use a number lower than 1 so is 3.0 the lowest it will go?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2009, 09:16:22 AM »

IT maybe that there is too much noise around at the time you are adjusting it with DMT.

I personally always used to adjust DMT in the mornings as it would give the higher sync speeds.
Kind Regards
Jamie

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6