Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: New Router Question  (Read 32870 times)

Rahat

• Reg Member
Re: New Router Question
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 11:28:01 PM »

>>>>>As for firmware, the only thing that 2.73 does is put the latest firmware for the Broadcom wireless chipset and nothing more, the official 2.61 is the one that adds lots of enhancements for the Broadcom ADSL as well as adding a few more features and a lot of fixes:D

So should i update to 2.61 first and then to 2.73?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 11:53:44 PM »

>>> Because my current setting is 3db on the DMT tool will 100% be 3db?

yep :)

50% will be 1.5dB
200% will be 6dB
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2008, 07:55:36 AM »

>>So should i update to 2.61 first and then to 2.73?

You would be better off going for version 2.61 first yes, if you find the Wireless performance low, simply apply 2.73.

>>>> With DMT, all you do is force the router to ignore the DSLAM/MSAN target snr and sync with its own (i think, correct if I am wrong)

Depends on the router.. its basically called over-riding the one set on the DSLAM, by getting it to negotiate at a % OR at dBs lower than set.
IIRC You'll notice that some versions of DMT are different and some set at a % and some at dBs.. hence why you often have to play with the slider to find the right level.

With the DSL-2740B, you can go lower that the 10% max the slider provides by using a simple command:-
Code: [Select]
adslctl configure --snr 1
With the above, simply replace the 1 with any number 1-9 and that will bring it right down, in my case to 6dB target.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »

With the DSL-2740B, you can go lower that the 10% max the slider provides by using a simple command:-
With the above, simply replace the 1 with any number 1-9 and that will bring it right down, in my case to 6dB target.

Well with my 2740B you can only issue an adsl configure command, adslctl does not exist.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 10:21:03 AM »

Well with my 2740B you can only issue an adsl configure command, adslctl does not exist.

It does exist as it works no problems!

I used the debug in DMT and that is the command used by DMT to change the SNR!!
Kind Regards
Jamie

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »

Well all I can say is that I have telnet'd into my 2740B and issued the adslctl command and it comes up 'not found'. No way does this work at firware 2.61 in my 2740B, using adsl instead works perfectly. If you telnet into your router and issue help it should list all available commands and in mine it lists adsl but does not list adslctl. If you have a later fireware it is possible that this command could have been added.

I have used adsl configure --snr 9 to set my snr margin to 9 and it works fine. Bwe warned that changing this value will cause the router to drop the ink and retrain the link.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2008, 10:43:58 AM »

Well all I can say is that I have telnet'd into my 2740B and issued the adslctl command and it comes up 'not found'. No way does this work at firware 2.61 in my 2740B, using adsl instead works perfectly. If you telnet into your router and issue help it should list all available commands and in mine it lists adsl but does not list adslctl. If you have a later fireware it is possible that this command could have been added.

I have used adsl configure --snr 9 to set my snr margin to 9 and it works fine. Bwe warned that changing this value will cause the router to drop the ink and retrain the link.

Aah, well I have 2.73, however both the commands work, I tried to get 6dB SNR with using 6, however it works the same as adslctl does:D
Kind Regards
Jamie

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2008, 11:40:57 AM »

Why does my attentuation go up and down? It was 40.0 before and now its 40.5.

Uptime:   0 days, 0:25:53
DSL Type:   G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,325 / 7,864
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   21.5 / 40.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   4.0 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   29 / 84,676
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   29 / 169
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   1,956 / 121

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 12:07:41 PM »

>> It was 40.0 before and now its 40.5.

Thats fine - normally youd it expect it stay around the same, but because the way attenuation is read by the router across all the frequency bins.. it is possible on occasions to see a tiny change.  0.5 is fairly common a change.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »

Ah right, its actually the other way around (41 to 40.5). It caused the router to sync fast i think. Anyways, thanks guys. This forum is very informative and im learning alot!

Ok, so you see my down SNR is 3.5 but O2 set my SNR to 3b so in DMT is 100% still 3db?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »

>>Ok, so you see my down SNR is 3.5 but O2 set my SNR to 3b so in DMT is 100% still 3db?

If I remember, Be*/O2 3dB target is actually 3.5dB so 100% should be 3.5dB , the default set at the DSLAM/MSAN

As for attenuation, the lower the shorty your line appears to the router/exchange equip, therefore the faster(ish) sync:D
Kind Regards
Jamie

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 02:22:37 PM »

I guess the best way to find out is by testing.

First thing im going to try and do is make the SNR  go up by 1 small tab and resync to see if the router doesn't drop.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 04:27:43 PM »

I guess the best way to find out is by testing.

Most certainly is:D
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2008, 08:24:10 PM »

The 3dB / 3.5dB thing is weird.
Be/o2 say officially its 3.5dB... but they also call it 3dB in some places.

Mines supposedly set at 3.5dB. yet even without tweaking I still can sync on occasions with it showing on my router as 3dB downstream, but the upstream will be 3.5dB
-----

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 02:54:58 PM »

Hi, i just ordered the router from here- http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=4158

I have two questions; number one: is this the right router lol and number two, http://www.adsl2forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9182 on that thread it says

'The latest firmware version 2.61 is available here from D-Link. This guide only applies to firmware versions 2.51 or better, prior versions required a more complicated process to set up. Upgrade to the latest firmware for bug fixes, the latest Broadcom modem code and easier setup on Be*.'

How do i go about doing this? The router hasn't come yet as i just ordered today. The guy says that i should upgrade the firmware before carrying on with the tutorial. However, how will i get to the router main page without sorting out the connection first? Should i just type in the ip number that's in the manual or would i need an internet connection to get to the page?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6