Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: New Router Question  (Read 32975 times)

Rahat

• Reg Member
New Router Question
« on: October 27, 2008, 03:27:26 PM »

Im with o2 broadband and i am currently using the speedtouch router given out by them. However, i just need to know if the router im about to get will increase sync speed and be stable at 3db.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1101651396.1225121013@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceladefidkjheicflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=588895&category_oid=-32807

Also, does this router support DMZ as i need that for the PS3.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: New Router Question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 03:49:19 PM »

I've just replaced a WAG354G which was pants with one of these and I'm very pleased with it, so far its been rock steady although its early days yet but I'm very hopeful. Make sure it has the latest firmware which is available from here, and make sure you use IE to upload the firmware as it does not work with Firefox.

ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 04:10:34 PM »

I too have recently started using this router.

I use only ADSL however have a read here:-
http://www.beforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9182

That will allow you to set it up O2.

It does support DMZ, is this what you would need:-
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n217/jamieidavies/dsl2740b/dmz_2740b.png

It uses the Broadcom chipset like the Be / O2 exchange kit does so they should work together. As for increasing sync, it increased mine as soon as I connected from 6100 to 6800 until I used DMT to bring it to 8128.

The router is stable as long as you use the latest firmware as pointed out by broadstairs :)

The price there is a bit steep, have you ordered yet as it is cheaper here and free delivery is available:-
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119456

As I say though, latest firmware will be vital as it adds the DMZ support ;)

*edit* was typing the same time as Kitz ;D

To add to Kitz comments on D Links, as she says, most issues have been with firmware (as I can tell you :-X)

However, there is now a beta firmware for this router to fix some of the WiFi issues available here:-
http://www.adsl2forum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64435&postcount=5
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 04:14:43 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 04:11:21 PM »

I'm afraid I have no personal experience of the D-link 2740B so I cant really say.
My past experience with d-links hasnt been the best - but thats more firmware stuff..  but I believe that d-link have pulled their finger out and are actually providing better routers these days.

My own opinion of the TG585v7 is not Good...  
I had a brand new one.. which I think is now completely useless - I need to look at it properly to see if it is well and truely dead, or whether it just needs a "rest" - it blew last night.  The one I had was using the standard ST firmware - not the Be one, but from what I gather, its a cheaper chipset and board than the previous v6's.  It never synced as high as my old ST585v6 and I couldnt even ever get the full Annex M upstream on it for some reason.  Also this line normally runs pretty steady with SNRM, but I kept seeing very weird fluctuations which I dont see with any other router.

I heard on the grapevine that Thomson specifically made the v7 on a budget for a certain UK ISP and it uses inferior parts. Thomson is the same company that also pandered to another UK ISP and removed some of the CLI functionality.

Ive raised 4 separate tickets to Thomson and they have never even bothered to respond to a single one.. so right now as far as Im concerned Thomson have gone downhill.

For my own personal line the old ST585v6 works best.. but coming a close 2nd is a flashed sky router (DG834GT) bought cheap off ebay. On another (longer line) the sky dg834gt works better than the BeBox giveing it a boost of about 1Mbps and running steady.

Theres one router I'd personally like to get my mitts on right now to give it a test and thats one of these
http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/DGN2000.aspx

Cant reply about DMZ Im afraid since I dont use it.
But according to the blurb here it does - as does the dg834gt

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 05:17:44 PM »

My issue with choosing a router is that I need dynamic dns support, I dont run a web server but I need my web host to be able to talk to my local MySQL, and I like SNMP to monitor throughput from my lan to the internet to know if I'm getting close to any sort of cap. That's why I went for the D-Link. Netgears dont support either of these as far as I can tell. DMZ is quite a common feature I believe.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 06:22:03 PM »

So Jid, does this router allow me to save my current SNR settings or for every reboot do i have to readjust the SNR?

Also, currently with the Speedtouch that o2 give my Noise Margin is UP 4.0/ Down 1.5. (im on the 3db profile)

So if i get that D link router will it be more stable than the speedtouch and cope with the SNR and perhaps make sure it doesn't go down to 1.5 in the first place?

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 06:33:30 PM »

Also, how do you upgrade the firmware on the d link? After you download the file and extract it a .cfk file come up. Then what do you do?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 06:41:07 PM »

>>So Jid, does this router allow me to save my current SNR settings or for every reboot do i have to readjust the SNR?

The settings will save if the connection drops out, however if you reboot the settings will return to their defaults.

>>Also, currently with the Speedtouch that o2 give my Noise Margin is UP 4.0/ Down 1.5. (im on the 3db profile)

So if i get that D link router will it be more stable than the speedtouch and cope with the SNR and perhaps make sure it doesn't go down to 1.5 in the first place?

That depends, the Be* equipment you are on the exchange is also Broadcom so it depends...actually hooking up the router will answer that one.

>>Also, how do you upgrade the firmware on the d link? After you download the file and extract it a .cfk file come up. Then what do you do?

To upgrade the firmware, you will need to:-

Maintenance Tab > Firmware update

Then browse the .cfk file (not zipped) and click the Upload button.

Make sure are using IE as it will not work otherwise.

The router will then tell you the progress.
Kind Regards
Jamie

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 06:44:17 PM »

Ok thanks, so how would i use DMT if the settings will reset. For example, if i change the SNR Margin and then save settings i will have to restart the router to see changes and you said that the settings will be lost.

Also, how do i enable ADSL2+ on the router (setup)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 07:00:54 PM »

The router automatically figures the ADSL mode to use so no worries there...

This is where you adjust the SNR:-
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n217/jamieidavies/dsl2740b/snrpanel.png

When you click the Apply.Resync button, the router will resync automatically and DMT will show the status along the bottom.

Make sure you have enabled the extra tab though:D
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n217/jamieidavies/dsl2740b/miscopt.png

Kind Regards
Jamie

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 07:07:20 PM »

Thanks mate.

Im sorry if im annoying you  :(.

So basically, when i set up the router and upgrade the firmware etc all i have to do is open up DMT and use 192.168.1.1 and username and password is admin and admin as default? Or do i need to enable telnet or something on the router and if so where do i do it?

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 07:08:21 PM »

Oh and the speedtouch router resyncs if the SNR drops below 1. So can the d-link handle 0.5 or perhaps keep it from dropping?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 07:11:27 PM »

>>So basically, when i set up the router and upgrade the firmware etc all i have to do is open up DMT and use 192.168.1.1 and username and password is admin and admin as default? Or do i need to enable telnet or something on the router and if so where do i do it?

As long as 2.61 firmware is there, DMT will work straight away:D

>>Oh and the speedtouch router resyncs if the SNR drops below 1. So can the d-link handle 0.5 or perhaps keep it from dropping?

That basically means that your line can't handle the SNR being low. The D Link may improve the stability it may not.

It maybe just that your line cannot handle the increased noise in the evenings...As I say, you won't be able to know how it performs until you connect it etc...

>>Thanks mate.

Im sorry if im annoying you  :(.

Yw, don't worry, thats what we are here for:D
Kind Regards
Jamie

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 07:13:28 PM »

Ok thanks for your help!

Im going to get the router soon and i will give you an update soon.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 07:18:32 PM »

Ok thanks for your help!

Im going to get the router soon and i will give you an update soon.

Did you check the ebuyer.com link. It is £9 cheaper:D
Kind Regards
Jamie

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6