Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: D-Link DSL-2740b and DMT  (Read 11951 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
D-Link DSL-2740b and DMT
« on: October 25, 2008, 08:17:19 AM »

I have just started to use a D-Link DS_2740b adsl router and wanted to try DMT to monitor the connection. I am having trouble getting DMT to login. I believe that v8.07 is supposed to work with this router but I cannot get it working. DMT gets a telnet connection OK and I can see (in debug mode) it enters the user and password but it then sees no response. If I telnet into the router manually it logs on just fine and I can run commands. Is there something special I have to do to get this working, I believe there are people here who have used this. I'd try the DMT forum but I'm afraid my German is not up to it  :-[

Thanks....
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: D-Link DSL-2740b and DMT
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 09:24:45 AM »

Hi and welcome :)

]jid uses DMT with his DSL-2740B.

He's around most days, so he may be able to tell you more, and if he had to do anything special or different to get it working with the DSL-270B.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 09:26:04 AM »

Upgrade the firmware to version 2.61 and it should work.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 09:31:22 AM »

Upgrade the firmware to version 2.61 and it should work.

As orainsear says, upgrade to that version, the link to it is here:-
ftp://ftp.dlink.it/Adsl/DSL-2740B/Firmware/Ver2.61/EU_DSL-2740B_2.61b243.zip

You are probably on the factory firmware which is rubbish, 2.61 improves WiFi as well as adds loads of new features:)

When you have upgraded make sure that Telnet is enabled.

Login > Advanced > Remote Management

Make sure that the Telnet on LAN box is ticked.

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 10:29:09 AM »

Thanks for the advice.

Just one problem which is that when I browse to the .cfg file which is created from the zip I get a message saying please enter a valid file name?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 12:21:56 PM »

OK the firware update works if you use IE (I was trying Firefox...)  :-[

Now to test DMT again....

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 12:24:11 PM »

That sorted DMT and it works just fine now.... thanks again....

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 01:52:09 PM »

With regard to Firefox, I should have mentioned that sorry :-[

I did the same as you!

Also if you want to use the SNR Target adjustment, bare in mind it doesn't save the options after a reboot.

Kind Regards
Jamie

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 04:14:28 PM »

Also if you want to use the SNR Target adjustment, bare in mind it doesn't save the options after a reboot.

I have tried that, I set it to 60% which should give me 9db SNR (syncs at 15 initially) but it has only managed to get 12 db which is still an improvement and gained me some speed. My ISP is Talktalk on LLU so I dont know if they have some way of stopping this getting to much of an improvement.

Anyway my main issue was bad SNR overnight with my old router (a Linksys WAG354G) which went negative on the initial profile they gave me. This D-Link is way better and has not dropped below 13 overnight (prior to my playing with DMT). Once I have some stats and Talktalk fix a bug which stops me registering on their forum I'll ask on there if my profile can be changed to give me more speed.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 04:28:47 PM »

I have tried that, I set it to 60% which should give me 9db SNR (syncs at 15 initially) but it has only managed to get 12 db which is still an improvement and gained me some speed. My ISP is Talktalk on LLU so I dont know if they have some way of stopping this getting to much of an improvement.

Anyway my main issue was bad SNR overnight with my old router (a Linksys WAG354G) which went negative on the initial profile they gave me. This D-Link is way better and has not dropped below 13 overnight (prior to my playing with DMT). Once I have some stats and Talktalk fix a bug which stops me registering on their forum I'll ask on there if my profile can be changed to give me more speed.

I had been having the same issues as you with Low SNR at night. I was using a D Link before but this one (DSL-2740B) is so much more improved and the option to tweak the SNR is a welcome edition.

Have you considered registering with the Talk Talk Members forum asking for their advice and maybe a drop to a 9dB profile?

Could you post your stats?
Kind Regards
Jamie

anything