Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wireless Issues  (Read 4700 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Wireless Issues
« on: October 27, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »

Hi, firstly I hope that I have posted in the correct section.

My set up ST585v6 (6.2.29) which I use as an adsl modem and router (wireless function disabled). DG834Gv2 (2.10.17) which I use as a wap ie DHCP disabled. The WAP has a 5db omni-directional aerial. The client pcs have pci cards and the aerials connected to them are either 5db omnis or 7db directional panels. The wireless signal on all client pcs is excellent >70%.

I have had this set up for about a year and it has worked 99% of the time without any issues.

The problem: Recently I have had frequent issues with the wireless reception on the client pcs. What happens is that the wireless signal seems to drop sharply from the levels above. This drop in wireless lasts for only a short time 1-2 mins (max). During that time if I open the wireless card's configuration utility on the client pc, I see the wireless signal has dropped sharply and oscillates widly between 0-15%.

During that time the internet connection appears fine, it still works I can access the net. After 1-2mins everything is back to normal in terms of wireless signal strength.

After such an episode has occured if I check the speedtouch there has been no reboot and equally the DG834G shows no reboot ie the uptime is unchanged.

This event 'dropout' can happen at any time of the day (or night) and may not happen for a few days or 3 times a day.

In the first instance I hope that I have explained my problem clearly.

I am looking for a 'to do' check list in order to discover (if possible) the reason for this.

Here is my list so far.

1. Wap developing intermittent problem (or possibly heat issue related).
2. Wap's mains power supply faulty.
3. Other networks interfering with mine
4. Neighbours switching on something that interferes.

I am leaning away from points 3 & 4 simply as this problem can manifest itself at 1am and is very regular in terms of the impact time frame (usually 1min).

Can someone shed some clarity on the issue or would the simplest course of action at this stage be to get another wap and see what happens?

Sorry about the long post.

Many thanks for any info provided

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:42:58 AM by risk_reversal »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Wireless Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 11:38:58 AM »

Microwave ovens are a huge problem as well as wireless CCTV cameras. Maybe you or a neighbour are using one of those?

My wireless (N draft) usually runs at 270mbps on the pc downstairs, although if i switch the microwave on, it drops to 81mbps!

Changing channels has helped me, as the router used to find the channels automatically, always selecting 1, so I changed it to 6, the effect is still there but not as bad, drops to 120mbps instead.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:27:52 PM »

Many thanks for your reply jid.

Microwave ovens are a huge problem
We can perhaps rule that out because if I put my microwave on I do not get this problem.

as well as wireless CCTV cameras
None that I can see in my street which just has terraced houses.

Changing channels has helped me, as the router used to find the channels automatically, always selecting 1, so I changed it to 6, the effect is still there but not as bad, drops to 120mbps instead.
I am on fixed channel 3 and this has been so for the last few years.

Anything else?

Cheers

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 07:31:15 PM »

I'd have a go at changing the channel.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 07:33:44 PM »

I'd have a go at changing the channel.

ditto
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather