Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wildly confused about speeds  (Read 12934 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Wildly confused about speeds
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 09:52:09 AM »

There's nothing dumb about that question. Yes, all sorts of weather can affect overhead lines, depending on their age and state of repair.
  Eric

jonnyf

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 10:11:25 AM »

BT did come and replace the line between the post and the junction box on the side of the house last year (old one was shot to pieces). Just odd that others on the line 100 yards down the line are stable. (Well I think its odd.) My house is a freak in so many ways.

Also, every disconnection has been associated with an enormous jump in noise, either short and sharp, or in the case of early this mornig, long and sustained.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:31:54 AM by jonnyf »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 11:03:15 AM »

Sorry to be picky, but when you refer to a jump in noise, do you mean a jump in noise margin? If so, it's likely that your target noise margin has been increased by DLM because of the instability. This will reduce the connection speed but improve the stability. Could you copy a screenshot of a relevant part of the Routerstats noise margin graph here (a bit showing a resync)?
  Eric

jonnyf

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 01:10:59 PM »

These is the most dramatic example of the noise margin (sorry) jumping with the corresponding drop in connection.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:14:21 PM by jonnyf »

jonnyf

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 01:15:38 PM »

Continued from above

jonnyf

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »

And a resync.

Hope this helps. I am about to go ask my broadbanded neighbours if they would run routerstat too, see of they're getting the same problems. As well as spending the afternoon re wiring the phone system.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:24:23 PM by jonnyf »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 04:14:35 PM »

Oh I see. I'm afraid those noise margin figures are nonsense, so either the router or Routerstats is reporting it wrongly. Sometimes Routerstats fails to get a sample from the router, and usually reports zero when that happens, but I guess that the big upwards spikes are another manifestation of the same effect. The third graph which shows a steady noise margin of 170-odd dB is harder to explain, and is probably just wrong reporting somewhere.
  Eric

jonnyf

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »

You're right, I'm an idiot. The above margin graphs are actually attenuation. Does that make more sense?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 06:34:34 PM »

I'm sure you're not an idiot. :) The Routerstats graphs say what they are, and your file names match up with that. My previous comments apply, but I wasn't suggesting that you personally are talking nonsense, only that the router / Routerstats reporting is wrong.
  Eric

jonnyf

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 08:28:33 AM »

No, I am an idiot. I reset all the routerstat settings last night, instead of monitoring Noise Margin, I had it set to monitor attenuation (line loss) :blush:. Now, having it run properly, with attenutaion being watched separately, each disconnect is associated with a jump in attenuation. Now, I think this makes it clearer, you might disagree.

Yesterday I checked all the phone sockets - including finding a socket that didn't previously exist. I ended up changing 3 and mesing around with their cable connections. This smoothed it out a lot (including the stopping the wind howling through a socket thats connected from the outside on a spur - you should see the condition of that one)

I also rechecked the route of the line between post and house. When BT restrung the line last year, the did so right through a tree. Now, I know this sounds daft, but I'm going to carefully clear the twigs and braches around the line so that they can't touch during a wind gust.

After that I check the line between the master and house connection and after that I'm out of ideas

jonnyf

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 08:41:36 AM »

The end of the tunnel....

I checked the wiring, engaged in arboricide and in a final act of desperation, bought a Linksys WAG160N. Hooked the thing up, googled for its hidden page, found it, set up routerstat, left it on overnight.

The result being an unprecedented (for my house) unbroken 9 hour connection at a constant speed of 1846kbps with no spikes anywhere. :clap:

ISP emailed yesterday, have filled them in. But the next 24 hours should give me all the numbers, hopefully with no disconnections.

I may have cracked it. I am now thinking of turning the Belkin into an ashtray.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »

The end of the tunnel....

I checked the wiring, engaged in arboricide and in a final act of desperation, bought a Linksys WAG160N. Hooked the thing up, googled for its hidden page, found it, set up routerstat, left it on overnight.

The result being an unprecedented (for my house) unbroken 9 hour connection at a constant speed of 1846kbps with no spikes anywhere. :clap:

ISP emailed yesterday, have filled them in. But the next 24 hours should give me all the numbers, hopefully with no disconnections.

I may have cracked it. I am now thinking of turning the Belkin into an ashtray.

Nice to hear you have got it sorted ;D
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 09:10:45 AM »

I've never been impressed with Belkin routers. Here's hoping that you have cracked it. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 04:09:04 PM »

ditto :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jonnyf

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 11:54:36 PM »

Okay, final update (for this problem). There was an unholy convergence of factors.

One, the phone system in this house came out of the ark, a star configuration from a brown junction box on the wall - all sockets renewed from a single master socket (Maplin supplied), any and all tree braches and twigs touching the line removed carefully with loppers, young trees likely to interfere with line removed.

Two, had my doubts about a BT DECT phone set, so they've been replaced.

Three, Belkin stats examined and something didn't sit right, so new Linksys WAG160N installed - lo and behold constant connection at 1856kbps with no drops. Here's where it gets better - the Belkin hed been replaced under warranty already and the account had been initially set up on its predecessor which died after three months service. This leads me to....

Four, a speed problem raised with Virgin which they responded to on Saturday afternoon, it appears that both Belkins were soooooooooo unstable that they had fried the IP profile.

Upshot, the line is currently being retrained, IP profile was set at 1500 kbps this evening, can even read the ITV F1 website in seconds (try that at 130 kbps).

If anybody can learn anything from this it is please give serious consideration before parting with hard earned cash for a ( :shoot: ) F5D8631 Belkin N1 router. I have yet to decide on its fate , it might be allowed out as an access point, or used as table leg support.

But, Thank you everybody for your help, in particular Roseway and Kitz. Bit of a learning curve so thanks for advice and patience and not calling me an idiot too much.  All this wouldn't have happened if, in this village, we weren't so pathetically grateful to get service, then we find out someone 100 metres away else getting ten times the speed......

:dance:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:28:23 AM by jonnyf »
Pages: 1 [2] 3