Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wildly confused about speeds  (Read 12926 times)

jonnyf

Wildly confused about speeds
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:11:43 AM »

Can someone please help with this - adsl connected to Virgin through btw, router connection information below (with really healthy connection speed) yet an ip profile of 135kbps. Any thoughts?

Router: Belkin wireless N1 F5D8631-4 v3 (01) with matched Belkin N1 cards.

ADSL Type: Interleave Path   

Downstream      Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)        1728Kb              320Kb

Noise Margin                 7                       6

Output power(dBm)    123                    174

Attenuation(dB)           65                      31

BTw line test this morning :

DSL connection rate: 1728 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 320 kbps (UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is 135kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was 97 kbps.

I have checked the wiring, all works fine. Even on furthest extention I show v. little reduction from already admittedly low 135kbps.

Virgin are taking best part of £20 a month for this service, do I change providers (BT have just decided to start selling to this area, friends on AOL are getiing 1200-1600kbps regularly). Last week had a 2 day jump in download speed, than it crashed back to usual snail pace.

If anyone has any ideas, best way to get heavy with the ISP, change providers or give up?

Begging pathetically, Jonny

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:53:02 AM by jonnyf »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Wildly confused about speeds
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 01:51:58 PM »

To get an IP profile of 135, at some point in the recent past, you must have had a poor sync speed from your router.  How long has your router been up at 1728 for?

Its your IP Profile that is currently restricting you
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jonnyf

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 02:16:14 PM »

I had to get a warranty replacement for the router about 5 months ago, since then it has consistantly connected at this speed (or above) - it is always left on as this is the suspected reason for the death of the last one. At the moment it has connected for about 5 hours, although it disconnects itself a couple of times a week. I can't give you a long term uptime at the moment, as I have been disconnecting it to move it around the house.

Is there any way of getting the IP profile changed, the connection has been at 130 since march. except for the brief (2 day) surge to the dizzy heights of 700 kbps last week.

It is odd however that the guy down the line from me on AOL has a much higher IP Profile (he tested his and it is about 11 times mine.

I have raised a line speed complaint with Virgin on their Email contact form, but reading the forums I am not sure of success.

The BTw test came up with something on the bottom, saying I might want to discuss this with my ISP.

jonnyf

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 02:22:46 PM »

Also ip profile stays stable if I hook up my emergency speedtouch modem.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 02:51:03 PM »

If your IP profile rose temporarily and then fell again last week you must have had a lower speed re-sync at that time to make it go down again. So I think that there may be other low-speed re-syncs happening from time to time but you haven't noticed them. This suggests that your line may be a bit unstable, and you should sort this out before trying to get the IP profile manually increased. It might be worth reading this to get some ideas for sorting it out.
  Eric

jonnyf

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 03:11:18 PM »

There is no one master socket in the set up, as a star setup (not parallel) every socket is a master socket - bt installed this years ago. Everythings filtered (2 phones, 1 router). Don't ask how, but I am fairly certain there are no wiring issues from the telephone cable in. I have just changed the filter to one phone though, just in case.

How long do you reckon it should take the IP profile to react? And should I start leaving the router off overnight?

Y'know, I thought this broadband lark was sold as being easy...

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 03:34:35 PM »

My only input is to say that you may also want to get speed test from different sources to give you a possible average.
I noticed you used the Maidenhead server for your test, which disappeared from the selection a few weeks ago but is now back, so I just tried it myself and was quite disappointed with the result.
I then tried the Washington DC server (their time being 10:30am against UK time of 3:30pm) which on two tests gave much better results.

Although this is a typical speed that I normally get especially during the evening/night time.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:36:46 PM by oldfogy »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 03:47:39 PM »

An IP profile of 135 to 1500 (in line with your current sync) should rise pretty quickly, possibly the same day.  Smaller jumps can take 3-5 days.

>> since then it has consistently connected at this speed (or above)

If you are certain that your sync speed has been at the higher rate for weeks/months then there is a possibility that you may have whats know as a stuck bRAS profile - see the information on the bottom of the IP profile page.

You could also grab a copy of routerstats and set it up to monitor and record your sync speeds.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jonnyf

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »

Just so you know - routerstats page 'cannot be found'. Virgin conspiracy?

jonnyf

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 04:24:17 PM »

Apparently not - just came back. Ooops.

jonnyf

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 05:34:41 PM »

Now its just the issue of getting the setup page into router stats. This may take some time...

jonnyf

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 06:57:23 PM »

I have router stat working and checking stability of connection speed, I shall keep it on for the next 24/48 hours. If it is stable, what should the next course of action be? Call the ISP and have them get BTw reset the IP Profile?

Jonny.

P.S> I shall give you the gory details of the routerstat test tomorrow (i won't post the graphs).

Thank you everybody who posted - your advice has been invaluable. BTW - anybody looking to use routerstat on a BELKIN F5D8631-4 v3 (01) N1 wireless router - update firmware to 3.01.06 and the url is 192.168.2.1/status.stm
using source a in the router sech text menu. It'll help if you have a printout of the setup page to gather the values.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:04:25 AM by jonnyf »

jonnyf

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 09:11:29 AM »

Routerstat has been running for 12 hours. The longest period of no drop connection has been this morining 0700 - 0906, usually it has dropped and reconnected every 45 minute to an hour. Between 0316  and 0549 there was no connection, reaquiring at about 1780kbs. It reaquire again at 0750 at 1856kbps. IP Profile expected by Routerstat is 1500kbps, average speed was 1430kbps, max value is 1856kbps.

I am going to declare a line fault. I think it's a stuck IP Profile.

What do you guys think. (If you want the graphs by email, let me know)

Jonny

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 09:40:15 AM »

It's not a stuck IP profile, so put that idea aside. Your connection is unstable, so the IP profile will stay at a level determined by the lowest recent connection speed. ('Recent' could mean anything between several hours and a few days.)

It does sound as though it may be a line fault, although that's not certain. Did you check out the link I gave you here to make sure that the problem isn't internal?
  Eric

jonnyf

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »

I have checked the sockets/wiring, but I'll do it again (actually I'm going to replace every faceplate as they all seem a but old) and recheck the wiring. The phone comes in to a brown box inside my back door, with the extensions running from that - 2 wires. On extention has the router and a phone attached. The other is a daisy chain of 3 master sockets (all marked with a bt logo) with only one phone attached. Could all these masters be causing the problems? There is no NTE5. This was all installed by BT some years ago, before broadband was even invented.

Has been connected now since 0730 - a minor victory.

I know this sounds dumb, but could the wind (Lincolnshire, rural) be affecting the line between the pole and the house?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:55:44 AM by jonnyf »
Pages: [1] 2 3