Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bethere performance!  (Read 20851 times)

jabns

• Reg Member
Bethere performance!
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:55:04 AM »

As of late Be*s performance has been absolutely shocking.

Currently at 12:30AM I am seeing download speeds of 500-600kbps(with 2 lines syncing at 14+ Mbit/s (Down) 2+ Mbit/s (Up)). My upload speed is currently equal/higher than my download  :no: !

I already know that Kitz is also seeing the same issues as me and was wondering whether anybody else is having the same problems us.

Here is my current latency statistics(This image took just under 3mins to upload!):

As you can see this is clearly a congestion issue as the same thing happens every night.

This should not be allowed to happen. I feel that Be* are failing to forecast growth properly and therefore are not upgrading there network/transit links until customers are already feeling the effects. I hate to say this but i would rather be rate limited(while these problems exist) and have a stable connection than constantly have timeouts. The problem is also getting worse by the day  :no: !

Very disappointed :(

Edit: Kitz can you try pinging 87.194.224.1 during peak hours and see what the response is please. For me it is 6ms so I am guessing that must be somewhere in Be* network. It may not be exchange contention(possible further up the node chain).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 01:02:28 AM by jabns »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Bethere performance!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 01:47:20 PM »

I went out later on, so I dont know how it was performing then - but I assume you saw my post on the Be forum to know that I wasnt a too happy bunny.  Ive not had chance to check replies yet.

I also think the Be UG could do more and push harder for more information..  It shouldnt be up to me to be making suggestions and Im not happy that one of the UG thinks its quite ok to make flippant remarks along the lines of "how lucky you are to have Be" when someone is complaining about dire speeds.   But thats a rant for another day.

I havent had a reply from Be yet about all the stuff I put in my ticket last night.

>> Kitz can you try pinging 87.194.224.1 during peak hours and see what the response is please.

Was out so didnt see it - but for comparison at off peak

Pinging 87.194.224.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 87.194.224.1: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=63
Reply from 87.194.224.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=63

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 04:14:13 PM »

Yeah I saw your post. This is getting beyond a joke. The problems are already starting for me at 4PM and its getting earlier by the day. There is just no communication from Be* about what is going on and time lines on when it is going to be sorted.

I have just done it now and here are my results:

Code: [Select]

Reply from 87.194.224.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63

I will try that again in a few hours when the internet is unusable again.  :no: It was DAtanasov that told me to do that and post the results(Probably seeing where the problem was occuring and it must Be* somewhere after that point).

Update:

Quote from: DAtanasov@BE
Hi guys,

Currently there is an issue on our network and we are doing our best to get this fixed ASAP. Currently there is no estimated time for this to be fixed, but as soon as I have any further information I will let you know.

Kind Regards,
Deyan

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 06:15:39 PM »

I now have 10% packet loss which is disrupting service a lot.  :no:

You will know more than me. If it is the transit links how long do they take to be upgraded? Cause this is driving me insane. Why dont they have any redundancy for events like this?  :wall:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 06:29:56 PM »

I'm not sure where this is occurring as I dont know the Be topology - since they give little away.   
I finally got a response to my ticket - its more or less the bog standard one that they seem to be now issuing to everyone.

thank you for updating us.

Currently we are experiencing some issues over our network causing slow browsing, download speeds and increased latency.
We are working hard to get this fixed as soon as possible, but currently there is no estimated time. As soon as we have any further information
regarding this we will let you know.

Ive started a new thread on the Be Forum asking for a proper reply, and asking for a timescale. 

-----------------------------
It doesnt appear to be local

I can also ping your server in 13/14ms
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »

I'm not sure where this is occurring as I dont know the Be topology - since they give little away.   

I got my head took off a couple of months ago for asking how the Be* Network worked. The only reason why I wanted to know was so that I could help people easier in the forums. The usergroup are unsure themselves.

I am taking the time to upgrade my pfSense router to the latest snapshot cause my internet is pretty much unusable now. Even MSN keeps signing out and I am getting timeouts sometimes.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 06:53:33 PM »

>> I got my head took off a couple of months ago for asking how the Be* Network worked.

I bet I have a good idea who took it off too..  someones very condescending attitude is getting right on my nerves...  knowing me I'll bite my tongue for a while - and then snap.
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »

You guessed it. I am willing to be patient but I just want to know some ETA's and generally have more communication.

I don't mind if they just said days,weeks or months at least then I would be able to find a suitable workaround. I am very tempted to move 1 of my lines back to Upstream Internet or UK Online because this is just ridiculousness.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 08:04:22 PM »

Well my topic was locked - I dunno if your saw that -  I saw red and was about to go ape.

Then I sat back and bit my tongue..  and asked them very nicely to re-open it...  which they now have.
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 10:35:53 PM »

Yeh I saw that and thought..... "this is going to get nasty". Hopefully you might stand a chance of getting some official response that does not look like it has been thrown together in less than a minute.

I am having so much fun trying to update my router(15mins and counting - its only 44MB):

Code: [Select]
Auto Update Download Status
---------------------------------
  Latest Version  : Thu Oct 23 16:04:41 EDT 2008
  Current Version : 1.3-ALPHA-ALPHA
  File size       : 44480684
  Downloaded      : 7245168
  Percent         : 16%
  :no:

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 05:21:45 PM »

Be are obviously rerouting some people because only 1 line saw this vertical rise in response times. At first I thought they had messed up and put me on interleaving but they havent and my latency graphs show that it is only this host on 1 lines that saw the instant rise. Pings to everywhere else are just slowly creeping up

And here is my local graphing:

I am going to run a tracert of both lines and see who the transit is for each of them.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 09:46:18 PM »

Theres something really weird going on with the routing.
I'm affected by the latency from here and I can get a response from your connection thats also being affected.
But I cant seem to get any response from your connection thats not affected... and something seems to be blocking it somewhere at the dslam.

I thought it was you not receiving, but since you are receiving, then the packet must be being dropped on its return by the dslam.
Ive absolutely no idea how or why or what is going on.   I have heard that Be are hoping to make an official announcement next week.

It was like someone flicked a switch here at 4.20pm, and changed the routing, but theres no visible difference that I can see.

Do you get exactly the same routing from tracerts on both lines.
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 12:23:16 AM »

Do you get exactly the same routing from tracerts on both lines.

Yes exactly the same routing. As I said on the Be* forums I can see your ping requests coming in and my router is acknowledging them but for some reason they are not making it back past the DSLAM as you said.

I can't wait for what they say and I hope they tell the truth and it is not just 1 sentence long.

I will leave my latency logging on tomorrow and post the results and the f8lure results on Monday if there is anything out of the ordinary again(Nephews Christening tomorrow).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 12:45:37 AM by jabns »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 12:33:04 AM »

How weird - I really cannot understand how lines that are the same, going through the same dslam... how one is affected and one isnt.

Unless they are doing something on certain IP ranges  :no:
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 12:44:10 AM »

It is very strange. I just remember laughing when I saw the graph go vertical  :no:.

They did say about 2 weeks ago that they were doing rerouting the Be* network. So I think from what I understand there are/were 3 problems:

1) Internal network rerouting (Which would explain these weird routing issues) --- Unsolved
2) Overloaded transit links (Causing poor performance and high latency) --- Unsolved
3) Cut fiber cable (That was what made the transit problem even worse I think) --- Solved

Don't you just wish they would let us know though so we did not have to play these games  :no: .
Pages: [1] 2 3 4