Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: IDnet switch to O2?  (Read 1963 times)

dambox

• Just arrived
IDnet switch to O2?
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:57:55 PM »

Hi - I have no issue with IDnet at all (especially after a horror experience with talk talk). However with  a potential switch to £2.50/month vs. £25 I am very tempted.

I will be happy if I maintain current speed etc - however I don't want to see any drop.

How robust is 02s infrastructure (I live in the Southampton area).

Thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: IDnet switch to O2?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 11:44:06 PM »

hmm  depends what you mean by robust.

It works and theres no shaping or throttling .. although it does have a few foibles.

~ Their DNS servers arent the best in the world - but you could always use OpenDNS as a backup server.
~ 2nd + 3rd hop of a tracert seldom if ever respond - but Be have set it up like this and shouldnt cause a problem.
~ On occasions there may be some exchanges that experience congestion (eg theres currently a few london exchanges that are seeing it), and if so you have to wait till Be upgrade the backhaul.  But I suppose the same could be said with BTw IPstream or ISPs waiting for new centrals to be installed.

On the whole though, the vast majority of their customers seem very happy, and you dont see too many complaints.

>> I will be happy if I maintain current speed etc - however I don't want to see any drop.

Depends on your existing linestats - unless youre on a very long line, then most users report an increase in speed.
The other benefit is theres no BTw IPprofile to hinder your speeds.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker