Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I Need a BT Modem, but which one?  (Read 17755 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: I Need a BT Modem, but which one?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 06:36:31 PM »

>>> At the moment both PC's set as MSHOME.

pressuming that you have set the relevant permissions to share.. could this be similar to a prob I have here which still bugs me from time to time.

can you see the other PC if you use the IP address rather than the local machine name?

>> SmartBridge Alerts MotiveSB.exe

sounds like thats some remenant of the old software from the BT modem installation.
edit just googled - its part of the BTYahoo help software.

Therefore something hasnt uninstalled properly - check the startup menu and msconfig startup and delete.

eke at the car thingy..  you really are being a friend to the rescue this holiday season arent you lol
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 02:07:52 AM »

pressuming that you have set the relevant permissions to share.. could this be similar to a prob I have here which still bugs me from time to time.

It turned out that Windows Firewall had re-activated and was blocking the connection on the desktop,
as soon as windows firewall was switched off, half the problem was solved.
 :thumbs:
As the laptop had Norton pre-installed I ran the Norton network connections wizard and that then found the link to the desktop,
so that then solved the other half of the problem.
 :clap:
>> SmartBridge Alerts MotiveSB.exe
Disabled it in msconfig.
 :)
Another possible problem to get over now is that both PC's can see and talk to each other, but trying to open the laptop which is connected by the wireless connection takes about 30 seconds to open, which is far too long.
 :thumbdown:

Will then attempt to make the network secure.  :hmm:

:sleep:   :sleep:   :sleep:   :sleep:   :sleep:   :sleep:   :sleep:   :sleep:

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention, she has also now forgotten a couple of other passwords to other places.  :wall:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 07:46:43 AM »

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention, she has also now forgotten a couple of other passwords to other places.
I keep one of those 'yellow sticky notes' programs running all the time, and use that to jot down things I don't want to forget, like passwords. Not very secure perhaps, but as I'm the only one with access to the machine it hardly matters, and frequently gets me out of trouble.

Eric
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 10:47:22 AM »

I keep one of those 'yellow sticky notes' programs running all the time, and use that to jot down things I don't want to forget, like passwords. Not very secure perhaps, but as I'm the only one with access to the machine it hardly matters, and frequently gets me out of trouble.

Equally effective for me is to keep a written record which is kept stowed away. Then whatever happens to the computer I know the details are to hand, which would save time having to recover them, reset them etc.

And of course you know when you burn the paper it has been properly deleted ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 12:55:15 PM »

Yes indeed, but I'm not very good at filing paper. Of course, if you keep data on the computer then you have to make regular backups.

Eric
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 02:31:35 PM »

SmartBridge Alerts MotiveSB.exe

Apparently this problem is "possibly being caused by the IE7 update"  and effecting a few people.
(according to a couple of posts on the CA site).
Which I wouldn't doubt either, as it did update to IE7 just before I started.

Password book:
The grandchildren ripped it up some time ago, just after my last bout with that PC when I made her write them ALL down. :D

Although the signal strength is saying good!
Any suggestions as to why it's taking a long time to open the remote PC would be most appreciated?
please.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 06:53:51 PM »

Being an old fogy myself, I'm not sure what you mean by 'opening the laptop'. I presume it doesn't take 30 seconds to lift the lid :)

Eric
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 07:52:47 PM »

Being an old fogy myself, I'm not sure what you mean by 'opening the laptop'. I presume it doesn't take 30 seconds to lift the lid :)
Must take more Phylasan with the Sanatogen, to build-up the muscles.  :lol:

What I meant was:
when selecting the desktop folder from the actual laptop, it takes a long time before the desktop files are being shown.
Although once opened (the folder that is) there is no problem.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 08:02:20 AM »

Aha, I see. I'm afraid that's outside my area of competence (if I have any) as I don't use Windows.

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2007, 09:13:19 PM »

>>> when selecting the desktop folder from the actual laptop, it takes a long time before the desktop files are being shown.
Although once opened (the folder that is) there is no problem.

curious -
does it open any quicker if you use the IP address (say \\192.168.x.x\desktop) rather than the name (say \\laptop\desktop)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 12:36:24 AM »

> if you use the IP address (say \\192.168.x.x\desktop) rather than the name (say \\laptop\desktop)

I did'nt try using the IP address as I'm not 100% sure as to what to actually put in.

Would it just be the IP address "IE, 192.168.x.x"  or  "\\192.168.x.x\laptop" where the computer name at present is called "Laptop on the laptop" and Desktop on the desktop"

This image is of my own PC which I call "Medion"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 03:23:50 AM »

>> when selecting the desktop folder from the actual laptop, it takes a long time before the desktop files are being shown.

Find out the IP address of the desktop  by doing the following on the desktop machine

start >>
run >>
type in cmd
"ok"

From the dos prompt type
ipconfig /all

At the bottom under "connection" it will say something like

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3

Make a note of the number.

--------------------------------------

Then on the laptop machine you can do a couple of things

either
1) Start >>
Run
type in \\192.168.1.3\desktop

or 2)

create a new shortcut on the lappy

Right click on the lappy desktop >>
New >>
Shortcut >>
type in \\192.168.1.3\desktop
Next >>
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2007, 05:16:35 PM »

Thanks Kitz,
Sorry for not answering sooner but I have not been doing much on that PC lately with regards to the connection problem.
As I have been busy trying to tidy-up the files and system in general.
(and what a nightmare) hundreds of games from "Big Fish Games" totally scattered every where with that many duplicated shortcuts it's almost impossible to tell which goes where.

I also decided to Partition the single drive (I don't like single drives) as there is no real safe place to put backups on.
But the strange thing is, when I then used Norton Ghost, it showed C: as being D: and visa versa.
(Although in windows it shows correctly) but it works, so no big problem.

B', how can I accidentally click a link in my favourites to accidentally come across a post that I have never read?
and your real name is ..................... A, B, C .............  >:D

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2007, 12:57:50 AM »

Sorry to butt in on this thread... when you say "as there is no real safe place to put backups on" in what way do you mean safe? Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but of cousre doing this won't guard against physical drive failure, where both partitions would likely become inaccessible.

The only semi safe place for backups is a physically separate hard drive.
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2007, 02:08:48 AM »

but of cousre doing this won't guard against physical drive failure, where both partitions would likely become inaccessible.

The only semi safe place for backups is a physically separate hard drive.
Quite true,

When I am working on someone else's PC, I like to create a Ghost Image backup "first" and this can only be stored on a separate drive, partition, CD or DVD. (CD/DVD take much longer and are not as reliable).

Although it's not 100% fool-proof as you rightly say, but at least hopefully safe guards any installed programs while working on the PC, in this case more games than enough, (100?) should the inevitable happen as she does not have the disc's to some of them, although they can be DL again.

So realistically, this is for my benefit and not the other persons (who does not know what a back-up is anyway) and very rarely if ever does a manual virus check (AVG), never does a spyware check and last but not least never checks for SpywareBlaster updates and I wont even mention Ad-aware.

All in all we have a person who only wants to play "basic" games, on 2 pretty decent PC's.
Pages: 1 [2] 3