Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Broadband / Net Neutrality / Google ?  (Read 2768 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Broadband / Net Neutrality / Google ?
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »

Interesting article from el reg which seems to have been overlooked in the world of broadband.  At first it may not seem much or nothing new.. the interesting facts really start on page 2.  It may take some reading and thinking about, but could this change broadband access and the internet?

Google's coup: The internet's first rule book

I'll just list some of the bullet points

• The power play is over how data intensive, high quality services such as video will be delivered. Only a handful of large US companies make any significant revenue from the web.
  • Google's plan is simple. It will simply remove the ability of infrastructure companies to make money. Google can avoid competing with access networks, because it doesn't need to. By pouring billions into content networks instead - its own private internet - it can stand by and watch those last mile businesses become increasingly unprofitable [last mile businesses being the ISPs and other access providers?]

• It's under the flags of "open access" and "net neutrality" that the battle is being conducted - and now neutrality has arrived in Europe.
  • The driving force behind the new rules is surprising. It's not the business world's natural bureaucracies, the telecoms companies with their ancestry as state-owned or state-regulated monopolies. It's actually Google
  • Last year the Commission formally proposed the establishment of a new pan-European watchdog, the ETMA or European Telecom Market Authority, taking over many of the powers of the 27 member states' national regulators such as OFCOM. This year, discussions on telecommunications reform ("The Telecoms Package") began in earnest, and this included the establishment of a super-regulator.
  • A new Article, 22.3, proposes: [and this is where it starts to get interesting.]
    take other measures in order to prevent degradation of service and slowing of traffic over networks, and to ensure that the ability of users to access or distribute lawful content or to run lawful applications and services of their choice is not reasonable restricted.
  • The strongest opposition is likely to come from OFCOM, which regards explicit neutrality legislation as unnecessary. Like all NRAs, OFCOM would prefer not to engage in a turf war with a super-quango.

Most of us know what the term net neutrality means.. and since its google thats behind this - then it will impact streams such as YouTube (owned by google).
At face value it may seem good - but I'll let you read the caveats at the bottom of page 2 and page 3 and make up your own mind..  but I think this sums it up.

Left unregulated, we're likely to see the mutual dependence between content providers like Google and telcos continue. Yet there's no doubt Google feels the pressure more urgently. While the web advertising market is now comparable to TV in the UK, Google, unlike others, needs to maintain the spectacular growth of the early years, and it has no particular advantages in serving brand advertisers. Given the general difficulty of monetizing web content, you can see how Google feels it needs a helping hand from bureaucrats.

By posing as the consumer's champion, Google can start to implement its plan for the destruction of value in European telecoms. ®
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:56:47 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Broadband / Net Neutrality / Google ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »

Fascinating, and needs some time to absorb. :)
  Eric

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:42:03 PM »

The author is notable on El Reg for never allowing comments on his articles. I would suggest that anyone reading this article might like to read a few more by the same author. You might notice a pattern emerging. Or not. Who knows? :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:08:08 PM »

I was curious as to what you meant and I wasnt aware of a "pattern". 
However after going through a few.. it was reading his article on google chrome, when it became more obvious what you may mean.

In that article he likens Google to M$... am I on the right track?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:20:02 AM »

Well he's no fan of Google, that's for sure, but that's not what I meant. Perhaps its me interpreting his articles the wrong way?
* rizla is being VERY VERY careful what he says

anything