Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Whois  (Read 11580 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Whois
« on: October 18, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »

Now I have my domain do I have to have my private address plastered all over the internet  >:D ?.
Kitz, How did you get your address taken off ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Whois
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 10:43:21 PM »

When you buy a domain as an individual (not a company) you should be given the option of hiding private details. Depending on who you bought it from that may have been the default anyway. If you bought it as a company I don't think you have that option. I don't know if you can change it after registration, but you could check on the registration company's site.

[Edit] I've just checked with the 123-reg control panel, where I have a couple of domains registered, and they do offer a way of changing the opt-out status.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 10:48:27 PM by roseway »
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 11:14:29 PM »

Hi, Eric.
It was a Free offer from my ISP with this package I'm on. :)
It is a business one, so I have put a 'Ticket' in about this problem to see if they came remove it.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:56:06 AM »

Like eric says its normally in the control panel from whomever you purchase the domain name - but if youve bought via an ISP they are unlikely to have a CP so you will have to contact them.   Alternatively, when you receive confirmation from Nominet (who control .uk names) then you are asked to confirm the details and theres an option to change direct with Nominet.

However........ you can only opt out if you are a non-trading individual and if the name is for business purposes it cant be removed.

Only domain name holders that are non-trading individuals can opt-out of having their address details published. In other words, if you do not use or plan to use your domain name for business, trade or professional transactions you will be entitled to opt-out of having your address displayed.

Full and further details about opting out
http://www.nominet.org.uk/other/whois/faq/#allowed

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 07:29:10 PM »

Got the 'Welcome' email from 'nominet' to day and can log on now, so I have changed my address  ;D to alot of oooo
Re "However........ you can only opt out if you are a non-trading individual and if the name is for business purposes it cant be removed."
yes  >:D

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 12:36:50 AM »

Businesses listed as non-trading individuals are one of my pet hates and I always ask Nominet to populate the whois field (which they are pretty good at) when I spot one. Putting a fake address in when you're trading can get your domain suspended.

If you're selling products or services online in the UK then its a legal requirement that your full contact details (address, email & phone number) are clearly shown on the website, so why bother trying to obfuscate the domain whois? It just ends up looking dodgy - IMHO of course.

Lecture over :P

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 12:53:45 AM »

Businesses listed as non-trading individuals are one of my pet hates and I always ask Nominet to populate the whois field (which they are pretty good at) when I spot one. Putting a fake address in when you're trading can get your domain suspended.

If you're selling products or services online in the UK then its a legal requirement that your full contact details (address, email & phone number) are clearly shown on the website, so why bother trying to obfuscate the domain whois? It just ends up looking dodgy - IMHO of course.

Lecture over :P

It will be two or three years before I start renting out my flat I'm building, so I am Not Trading yet.
It will not be a full blown business it's only to make a bit of pocket money.  :P

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 10:34:30 PM »

Because my flat will not be ready yet my ISP has taken my details off public display.  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 11:09:48 PM »

Excellent :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 12:11:33 AM »

:)

Just to be on the safe side though - once you do start trading...  well you know the drill ;)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker