Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Exchange Help  (Read 3222 times)

OJ McSplodge

• Just arrived
BT Exchange Help
« on: January 06, 2007, 01:42:28 PM »

I am currently on a BT exchange that 'As the crow flies' is 2.5km away. However, the distance  when measured by an engineer is over 6km. (as discussed with Kitz on other sites)

The problem I have now is my phone line is very quiet and therefore I requested for the gain to be turned up. This helped at my recieving end but the person at the other end said it was still quiet. (no great shakes)

Okay, since the gain was turned up, my broadband connection drastically got worse to the point that my SNR Margin is at 2 constantly and with my Downlink Attenuation on 59dB. Therefore, on MaxADSL, my speed has dropped to less than 300kb/s.

I have requested for the gain to be turned down now to bring the broadband back up.

Here goes. My BT Engineer that visited my home to test the line, told me that a new exchange has been built literlly 1km from my home. It is literally over the road.

I have rang up BT Sales to ask when this exchange will go live and if I could switch over to it, but they said they do not have privvy to this information.

My question is, does anyone know who I would contact to beg to go onto this new exchange. I say beg because this is a new estate with houses being built all the time and therefore it will run out of space straight away.

I am quite desperate now. I have to compensate my phone for my broadband or vice versa... sort of defeats technology in the 21st Century.

I was going to try and ring BT Openreach, but can not find any direct dial numbers. I have my phone connection with TalkTalk and Broadband with BT.com.

There must be someone I can contact that I can discuss the new exchange etc.

Would be grateful of any help.

Thanks in advance.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT Exchange Help
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 07:11:13 PM »

Welcome to the forum OJ, but please don't double-post. I've locked this copy and left the other one open.

Eric
  Eric