Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows Live Messenger Problem  (Read 9167 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Windows Live Messenger Problem
« on: October 18, 2008, 01:43:17 PM »

Hi all,when I went to log on to windows live messenger this morning it wouldn't log me on.I got a message box saying it was either my connection or the messenger service was down,well my connection is fine and according to messenger the service staus is ok.I got the error code 81000306.
This is the first time since I have had messenger I have encountered this.The one thing I noticed last night before I logged off was it said welcome to the all new windows live mail page.I checked my live mail and the page was different,other than that nothing has been altered or installed on my computer.
I have checked my firewall and it allows messenger through,so theres no problem there.
Any ideas?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Windows Live Messenger Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »

Does this help?
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 02:04:18 PM »

Thanks Eric,that is the message error I keep getting,have checked my firewall and thats allowing it through ok.I see the bit about the service status not being very accurate has me thinking if I should just leave it and see what happens

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 02:11:04 PM »

I had a similar problem when I tried to log in to Windows Live Messenger yesterday for the first time in a long while. I think I had a slightly different error number, but the message was the same as far as I recall. I'll try it again now.

TTFN

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »

Thanks for that Toulouse.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 02:38:41 PM »

....it seems to be OK for me today. I'm currently chatting with a friend in Hong Kong

TTFN

FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 02:45:01 PM »

Thanks Toulouse,thats where my son lives.  :)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »

@Uncy - have you ever visited there ?

I would love to go some day, but I'm not too sure about a flight of that length. At the present me and SWMBO are happy to take holidays in the UK, hence my trip to Blackpool next week. I'll take some South West weather with me, just in case.

TTFN

FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 03:35:35 PM »

Windows Live Mail, the latest revamp of Hotmail, does have a new look to it and, woe is me, if you are using Opera browser you cannot read your mails. The page opens fine, the inbox pops up and there are your mails, then the inbox disappears in less than a couple of seconds.
It's not just me, there are lots of questions about this on the Opera forums.

Maybe teething troubles that Microsoft will address, or they are trying to drive us back to IE (again)

Me again. Just tried again with same result, but have a look at this screeny.

Look at the status bar ringed in red at the bottom.
My mails have just flashed on and off and the loading freezes at this point............always at this point, and look who is trying to connect. It says "completed request to reporting.tvlicensing.co.uk

What has that got to do with Microsoft or Live Mail. Is Billy being paid to sniff out illegal or untaxed TV tuner cards, or is the Live site so corrupted that anything goes or is there a fault in Opera somewhere.

TD is lost.  :(
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 03:52:24 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 05:11:24 PM »

Thats wierd TD,my winodws live mail (that is the web mail based one ) can be accessed ok,its just the messenger part.When I go on to the windows live homepage,where the start an IM icon is at the top right hand corner.I click it on and it takes me to where I can download messenger for free?I have already got it?
Will have to hope someone comes up wth something as I'm baffled.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 05:26:38 PM »

I'm baffled too, unkyUb, especially as if reporting.tvlicensing.co.uk was a real url, it would show up in our posts here in blue.

Aha, back again having done some googling.

reporting.tvlicensing.co.uk apparently emanates from a cookie placed on you PC if you have ever paid your TV license on-line, as I have.
So, not in itself a threat other than that it is yet another bit of spyware tracking your internet usage and reporting back to the licensing people...........could this be a run up to PC licensing or are they just snooping.

That however does not explain why my browser is trying to connect to the TV folk when I want to connect to Hotmail.  :( ( and I will have to rejig my rules for allowing/blocking cookies. )
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 05:35:33 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 06:31:25 PM »

Well I'll be blowed,just tried it again and it logged on ok.Why is it when anything doesn't work we are led to believe its something we have done to cock it up,when 99 times out of 100 its at 'the other end'

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 08:20:38 PM »

>> "completed request to reporting.tvlicensing.co.uk

I was going to say I bet its some sort of advertising... then I looked at the top of the screen cap.
Obviously it is to do with advertising.!
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 07:37:21 AM »

Yes Kitz,I reckon its advertising too.When I look at my cookie list it always seems to be there.I don't think it is causing anything suspious.
BTW,my messenger is ok this morning.I think the messenger service status page is not that accurate,unlessit was a problem caused by the new windows live mail.  :hmm:
Is yours back on track yet TD?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 10:26:29 AM »

@ unkyUb  >>>>>>>>>Is yours back on track yet TD<<<<<<

No,  :( , afraid not it is just the same as before and freezing up at the same point. I did delete the offending TV cookie but no improvement. Have posted a plea for help on the Opera forum and will let you know of any useful answers.

So, we have Google, Phorm, TV Licensing and who knows who else all tracking our net usage. The government is going to build a database of all our mails/searches/sites visited etc which they can then lose on the bus for all to see.
Where does it end..............only when we all  disconnect from the web.
Pages: [1] 2