Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Toe in the water...  (Read 4122 times)

John McG

• Be Happy!
Toe in the water...
« on: October 16, 2008, 02:01:55 PM »

Greetings All,

Have been away and have now returned - with a new problem!

I'm on a BT Option 1 broadband package which supplies me with a BT Voyager 220V router.  My wired network connection is to my PC (located next to the router - downstairs) and the USB connection is currently unused.

I have been a nice dad and built a PC for my eldest ("I need it for school, dad!") and now would like to give him an internet connection (he's upstairs).  Whilst I can comprehend a wired network, I'm a complete BIFF when it comes to this wireless malarkey.

Given that my router is the only networking hardware I have, can anyone out there tell me what I would need to construct a wireless network allowing internet access to my two PCs?  Then I can decide if it's worth DIY-ing a solution or getting one of those sexy BT home hubs...  ;)

Your patience and assistance is greatly appreciated!  ;D

JM
Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped!

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Toe in the water...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »

If I am reading this correctly (and know nothing about the BT Voyager)

Basically you would just need to replace your existing router for a "Wireless Router" and purchase a "Wireless Receiver" for each of the PCs you want to make a wireless connection to.

The router also includes the same four RJ45 (Ethernet) sockets for networking etc so any PC can still be connected directly to it instead of using the wireless option.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 03:23:21 PM »

I have a Voyager 220v and its not wireless enabled.Have you contacted BT about upgrading to the BT Home Hub.Like OF says you then need 2 wireless receivers for your PC's.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »

To make it wireless you'd got a few options
~ Either Buy yourself or get from BT a combined adsl wireless router
~ Buy a wireless access point.
~ Create an Ad-Hoc Wireless network using your PC as the client.

TBH the first option, whilst not the cheapest, is the best.. and most easy to set up.
Wireless access points arent really that much cheaper than wireless routers.
AdHoc wireless is the cheapest option of all.

Personally I'd use a wireless router and connect that via ethernet (wired) to your own PC like you do now, then just get one wireless device for your sons PC.
IMHO its always best to have "the main PC" or at least one PC connected to the router via ethernet... even Ive managed to accidentally lock myself out of a wireless network - as Im sure will have most people at some time or other if you mess about often enough. :D

So to recap - you need a new wireless router (or get BT to send you a HH), and one wireless adapter for your sons PC (if the PC hasnt already got one installed already).
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

John McG

• Be Happy!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 10:55:57 AM »

All,

Many thanks for the advice.  I shall go and investigate 'pink chit' options (i.e. requires sanction for home-based budgetary advisor! ;) ) and see what I can come up with.

If I can get my list to Santa on time, you may be seeing some more networking questions from me in the New Year.

Thanks again,

JM  8)
Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped!

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »

Although it's probably a little more expensive another option would be HomePlug networking - the broadband signal is carried around your home using your electrical wires.

anything