Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Blue Star  (Read 3870 times)

bully4me

Blue Star
« on: October 25, 2008, 11:59:35 PM »

Does anyone know how to get shut of that annoying blue star that tells me my XP os is not genuine,
I have been using it for a year and downloading all the updates then all of a sudden it now tells me I can`t use it anymore,
I bought the laptop second hand..bully4me

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Blue Star
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 12:37:09 AM »

Would this be "XP Pro" by any chance or do you have the original CD?

If this is a "none" genuine copy of XP Pro, then this is the latest introduction from Microsoft to combat illegal copies of XP Pro which in the past have always gone undetected "until now"

However, sorry I don't have the answer for you, but this is commonly called the "WGA Nag Screen" should you wish to try a internet or forum search.

One suggestion in the mean-time is to do a "System Restore" prior to the update which is now causing the "Nag Screen" but this also means that you can't update any further or it will start to happen again.

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2008/08/got_a_pirated_copy_of_xp_expect_to_be_nagged.html
Simply turn your automatic updates to "Download Updates, but let me choose when to install them" and then when you get the yellow icon on your toolbar, click it and deselect any that say something to the effect of "Windows Genuine Advantage". (also select "Don't notify me of this updates again")
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 12:48:33 AM by oldfogy »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: Blue Star
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 09:52:59 AM »

There are well known work arounds for this - the precise details of which I won't explain here, but if you google "wga removal" there's plenty of fascinating reading, e.g.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/04/26/disable-and-remove-windows-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

anything