Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: .com or .co.uk ?.  (Read 21289 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
.com or .co.uk ?.
« on: October 16, 2008, 12:05:10 AM »

What's your opinion on using .com or .co.uk for a small business.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: .com or .co.uk ?.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 12:16:02 AM »

if your business is aimed at the uk market then .co.uk
If world wide then you should go for .com
Search engines will usually (but not always) display the most prominent from which country you are searching on to the country domain.

For eg do a google on "kitz" and it will show this site as the top result.  However if searching from the states or google.com it will bring up kitz.com as no 1.

However... if both are available.. I'd buy them both.  You can then always point the .com to the co.uk site or vice versa.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kris

• Just arrived
    • http://www.sumudra.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 07:24:33 AM »

if your business aimed at world wide go for .com
if you are aimed at UK means go co.uk

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 08:01:15 AM »

Buy both if available in case you become a world wide business.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 12:05:40 AM »

Can you still access co.uk outside the uk ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 02:31:55 AM »

yes
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 10:26:08 AM »

You will also find that .co.uk domains are cheaper and more value for money than .com domains.

For example, with Vidahost, my .co.uk domain for 2years was: £5.73

whereas if I were to register the .com domain for 2years, it would cost £12.98

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 03:13:58 PM »

You will also find that .co.uk domains are cheaper and more value for money than .com domains.

For example, with Vidahost, my .co.uk domain for 2years was: £5.73

whereas if I were to register the .com domain for 2years, it would cost £12.98

Mine is Free with Eclipse ISP   ;D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »

My hosting company, once you have a basic package, charges £4.00pa for .co.uk and £4.25pa for .com.

FindersUK

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 06:30:00 AM »

kitz....nice reply ...i agree with you:)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 09:24:15 AM »

Personally I'd say, if you decide to use .co.uk,  you should consider buying the .com as well to begin with. Otherwise a competitor can buy the .com and pass themselves off as your business, or just try to ransom it back to you.

There would be various legal remedies open to you in the above scenario, but all expensive - horrendously so if the villain is based on foreign soil.   Easier just to 'bags' it for yourself for the sake of a few £££.

After a couple of years, once you are more established, you may be able to take the view that the .com is no longer necessary and release it.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 06:39:16 PM »

Whoops, just reallised I responded to a 4 year old thread this morning.    :-[

paulosebin

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »

Maybe I can contribute to this discussion. I live in Brazil. The site's domain extension depends on the country or region that your business serves. I recently worked on a project to create two different sites for different countries.

In Brazil, it is recommended to use the .com.br extension. It is the first and important signal to Google that my website is targeted to Brazil.

However, we have created another site with a .com extension only, for which the company's focus was also to the United States, and opened new website designed just for this audience. .com But is still very wide. In addition to having created the PressCell site, the source put http-equiv as en_US, but targeted English language to the North American country. Also in the code I worked with href lang, pointing in the English version of the existence of a page translated into another URL. Example.

In English page has the <link rel="alternate" hreflang="en_US" href = "http://presscell.com.br/voz-vozdados/" /> and vice versa.

If your intention is that the site is targeted only to the UK, then the extension is .uk. Otherwise, have more English-speaking regions, more information in the code must be entered as the particular example I showed above.

anything