Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Why and How to get rid of IE7  (Read 8833 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Why and How to get rid of IE7
« on: February 01, 2007, 09:57:54 PM »

Because of the many problems associated with IE7.
I would recommend that you remove IE7.

Just use "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel and look for "Windows IE7"
(toward the bottom of the list) and select "Remove".
IE7 will then be removed and automatically replaced with IE6 with no loss of settings.

THEN, go to the MS update page and check for updates, IE7 will be there again .
This time select the option to "Hide this update etc"

If you don't then it will be automatically download again, as it is now in the "High-Priority" section.

(If you use Automatic Updates) then you may want to disable this first.
Just-in-case it downloads again before you hide it.

Although there is a download from MS.
Instructions here from MS how to remove it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/support/default.mspx

But, after reading carefully the info from the MS Blocker Q&A sheet.
The better option in the long term is still to:-

"Go back to MS update page and check the box to hide the update in the future"

Reason:
Whilst the MS Blocker tool will stop the automatic download of IE7 as a High-Priority download,
it will not stop it still being shown as an optional download.
Therefore could still possibly be downloaded again by accident.

At least by hiding it, then it would have to be physically un-checked from the hidden options before it could be downloaded again.

havelock

• Reg Member
Re: Why and How to get rid of IE7
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:18:30 AM »

...and then go to either http://getfirefox.com or http://opera.com and download a decent browser...

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 09:19:33 AM »

Thanks for the guide OF - although I do think that IE7 has a lot of positives compared to IE6.

What I didn't agree with MS releasing it on WindowsUpdate as an automatic, high-priority download. That has caused a few problems for some people I know who phoned me up in panic not knowing what to do when they were presented with this new user interface - "Where are all my favourites?!" etc...

I also think they released it too early and there are a few bugs that really should have been sorted - that said I don't really have many problems with it.. in fact I quite like it.
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »

I did try it myself and even sang it's praises, but after about 2 weeks I started to notice just the odd little thing happen.

But the crunch came when one of my audio programs would not work "MusicMatch Jukebox" which ended up because of IE7.
(But it worked okay after I got rid of IE7)

Over on another site (CA) there is a list that has been put together which stands at around 30 known problems that people have experienced.
But as you say, it works for you.

I know exactly how you feel, with another site I use, where most people are having problems, I very rarely have problems. (mine are usually self inflicted)  :lol:

I also think they released it too early

Or better still they should have kept it just for Vista, which could have then been a little bit more of a selling point.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 09:39:49 AM by oldfogy »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 09:39:14 AM »

Maybe I just got lucky ;D

There is one intranet site used by the school I work in that doesn't work properly with IE7 - some dodgy DHTML menus that just don't display! That said, I'm not sure if it works with FireFox either, it might have been programmed specifically with IE6 in mind. Not to worry, IE6 is still on the terminal server and won't be deployed around school for a long time yet!
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 07:17:47 PM »

The thing I really dislike about IE7 is that there is no option to bring up a "classic" former-IE style interface. I find the new interface quite repulsive as it is clearly designed for Vista and looks so out of place on an XP machine. It is also awkward to use. Another downside is you loose the seamless integration between local computer browsing, network browsing and internet browsing whereas in earlier versions you could view all these using one open window.

I noticed on the first installation where I uninstalled IE7 it left the icon behind on the start menu and didn't revert to the former - just something I noticed.

The new Windows Media Player 11 is equally useless and untastleful so I had already disabled automatic update and hidden the new versions.

At least Firefox 2 has kept the original interface layout, just with some minor aesthetic changes.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 10:44:13 PM »

Because of the many problems associated with IE7.
I would recommend that you remove IE7.

THEN, go to the MS update page and check for updates, IE7 will be there again .
This time select the option to "Hide this update etc"

Hi O.F.
I have the 'Express' MS update page open but I cannot see "Hide this update etc"  Do I need some new glasses?.
Is it because I have not turned off automatic updates ?.
I can see an hyper link button on LHS 'Restore Hidden Updates'
Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 11:13:04 PM »

Do I need some new glasses?.
No you don't need new specs, it,s because you need to select "Custom" for it to show.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 11:33:29 PM »

Do I need some new glasses?.
No you don't need new specs, it,s because you need to select "Custom" for it to show.

Thanks for reminding me of that, I have only been using 'Express' to check that the automatic updates has been doing its job.
I can now safely turn back on automatic updates and it will not down load IE7 , I only use IE6 for updates as I use FireFox2 or Opera.

Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 08:05:50 AM »

I use Automatic Updates but with the "Download updates but let me choose when to install them" rather than "Download and automatically install" option. That way I was able to choose whether to install IE7 or not, but selecting the custom install, then un-ticking IE7 and clicking Next, or Close, or whatever it was.

It then asked me if I wanted to be notified about this update again, or something (all hazy memory now).

So basically you can block any update using Automatic updates without bothering with the Windows Update website. :)
Chris

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 06:28:59 PM »

I got rid of IE6, everything still works OK.

But you can't do that if you are using XP or Vista.

SmugSmugSmug
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

anything