Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: cctv over the internet  (Read 7178 times)

moxy

cctv over the internet
« on: October 12, 2008, 01:17:36 AM »

Hi, all, I would like to monitor a remote location a couple of miles from my home, and was thinking that CCTV over the internet is the solution. The monitoring station is connected to the internet with a voyager 2110 router and the other end has a BT business hub, [permentantly on]. What are the cheap and cheerful options by using the broadband connections, and is it very difficult to set up?? Bearing in mind that I'm a dork, any help/advice will be appreciated, regards, moxy.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: CCTV over the internet
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 03:29:51 AM »

I don't know much with regards to this subject but I know you can use a "IP Camera"
Either that or that is what I may of seen advertised as being the easiest option.

Good luck and look forward to seeing some more suggestions.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: cctv over the internet
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 10:32:08 AM »

Well, you can either connect an IP Camera direct to the routers Ethernet port, as o.f said.

Or you can use a USB camera and run some software.
http://www.yawcam.com/

If using YawCam, make sure your forward the ports in the router at the end you are monitoring.

YawCam does support uPnP as well, so make sure that is enabled on your router too.

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 02:05:20 PM »

Theres also some useful info here.  Option 3 is the most normal method of doing this.
One thing you will need is an IP address.  BT uses dynamic IP's, so you will need to signup to a service that will track your IP - look at dynDNS.com or dyndns.dk.

The other thing to bear in mind is the type of stream and resolution you are going to use.  You will be using upstream on the remote site and downstream locally.. Check how much bandwidth its going to use - particularly if youre on a capped connection with your ISP.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

moxy

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 12:09:21 AM »

Thank you good people, I shall follow your links and have a ponder. I was wondering if anyone had done it and could post an idiot's guide, thanks again, regards, moxy.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 12:11:57 AM by moxy »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 01:39:37 AM »

Ive not actually done so (I dont have a webcam).
But I would imagine a lot of it would depend on the cam itself and the software that comes with it.

The only thing I have done is the web-interface side which uses the Axis Cam Control to connect to a remote cam that already has IP addresses.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/Plusnet_cam_CSC1.htm

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »

I remember once having to phone a number in Whitehall to advise them when I wanted access to a house to do some conversion work. when I finished I had to phone again to let them know. The chap at the other end was talking to the home owner who wanted to pass on his thanks for doing a tidy job (I like to fill any holes left if removing a bit of kit like an ISDN). I didn't know but the house had security cameras through out and he was watching me work whilst he was abroad via another digital line at the property.

Handy bit of kit..

mywifeshusband

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 03:15:01 PM »

You might like to do a Google search on Panasonic BL-C131 IP Network Camera. This will need a router to connect it to the Internet but no need for a PC at the remote location once the unit has been set up. The Panasonic BL-C131 IP Network Camera can be controlled to zoom, pan an tilt over the Internet. I know because I leave one at home when I'm overseas, and monitor it from any available PC in far off places. It also has a small buffer to record any movement or activity and email you the video it picks up. Only problem is the cost. The Panasonic BL-C131 IP Network Camera is a camera to router wireless unit, but there is a cheaper Ethernet model. Oh yes it has sound too!
I have no axe to grind for Panasonic but mine does a useful job for me.

anything