Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Domain Names.  (Read 13133 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Domain Names.
« on: October 10, 2008, 08:27:08 PM »

My ISP is offering a Free Domain Name  :) ( not a Sub Domain of the ISP  ;) )

We are still working towards our  business of a self catering holiday flat ( still working on building it  :'( ).
So I have been thinking about a web site, Is there some place you can check to see if a name has been registered .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Re: Domain Names.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:22:03 PM »

A whois check at the specific country's internet registrar (such as Nominet in the UK) would be the definitive check but most ISPs will automate the checking process for you, so you can check ccTLDs such as .co.uk and international TLDs such as .com, .eu etc.

Try 1 and 1 to check the domains you're interested in. Note that I'm not recommending 1 and 1, just giving you the link. Any local internet registrar (most ISPs) can register and maintain the domain for you.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 10:50:36 PM »

Thanks for that rizla,
Using your link and the 'check' domain name, It looks like the TLD I was thinking of is available  ;D

Have you got any thoughts of hosting a site myself from home, either a virtual machine or dedicated machine ?..
It will host details of our accommodation, booking on line, the local area etc.
It will have to run 24/7  :'(.
My ISP is offering 250 Mb free web space. :)

Edit .. I want to use Two Words in the name, shall I use FQDN (fully qualified domain name) eg. Two.Words or use Two-Words, dot or a dash
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:58:31 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 11:07:38 PM »

I've got no personal experience, but I would have though that it would be far better to use commercial hosting for a commercial enterprise. There are all sorts of disadvantages in using your home ADSL connection for the purpose. If you Google for "web hosting" you will find no end of offers for tiny amounts of money.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 12:31:08 PM »

If you want to use 2 separate words, I'd personally use the dash. 
Most people are used to seeing a dot as being a sub domain, even if it is FQDN ... and on top of that search engines such as google see the dash in a url as a valid separator which may help if someone is searching for something like the name of a particular hotel.

Like eric says, I'd use commercial (or your ISP) web hosting rather than running it from home.  Although I run a small http server myself, its mostly for personal + geeky stuff and I wouldnt put anything like a business on there.  Its too much dependant on your internet connection (and local machine) being up, and it would eat into any of your monthly bandwidth allowance.  You'd also need a pretty decent upload speed as what ever anyone is doing on your LAN will affect the rate at which the users at the other end see your site.  If youve only got 448 upload, then someone who is going to be on a 2Mb connection is going to think your site very slow.

What you could do though.. (I take it you have a static IP?)  is if you want to experiment and play with your own http server.. is say buy the domain name "our-hotel.co.uk" and have any requests for www.our-hotel.co.uk going to the dedicated server..  but then create a subdomain ie "photos", and ask you host if they will direct the subdomain requests to your own server.. so that .photos.our-hotel.co.uk then comes from you locally, but the main site is still on commercial hosting.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 09:39:18 PM »

Thanks Kitz & Eric.
You have me thinking now, It does seem more sense to use a commercial host.
"Its too much dependant on your internet connection"  Good point for my connection has dropped (sat night ! ) to a low level and I'm on a long line too.
"If youve only got 448 upload, then someone who is going to be on a 2Mb connection is going to think your site very slow." Yes I did not think of it as 'upload' But it is .
My upload tonight is only 367 and not 448.
"What you could do though.. (I take it you have a static IP?)  is if you want to experiment and play with your own http server.. is say buy the domain name "our-hotel.co.uk" and have any requests for www.our-hotel.co.uk going to the dedicated server..  but then create a subdomain ie "photos", and ask you host if they will direct the subdomain requests to your own server.. so that .photos.our-hotel.co.uk then comes from you locally, but the main site is still on commercial hosting."
Yes that makes sense.
My ISP is giving a free Domain and 250 Mb of space.
Could I do much with 250Mb ? , I have no idea how much space I would need, Any advice.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 12:50:48 PM »

>> Could I do much with 250Mb ?

A lot! 
The main kitz domain (not including the forums and dynamic pages) uses circa 50MB disk space and it must have a few hundred pages.  However this site is optimised to use as little bandwidth as possible and I dont offer downloads or too many large images, therefore its deliberately kept as small as possible. 
Disk space isnt the problem for me - its bandwidth that I use a heck of a lot of - The more people that visit, then the more bandwidth you use.

Ask how much bandwidth you get... but if they are offering 250GB, I should imagine the bandwidth allowance would be more than adequate to cover a small/med business, as long as you dont do anything silly like host "shared files" or make large downloads available, you will be perfectly fine.

Whilst asking you could also check that they allow subdomain and will point them to an IP.  Also ask if they do cgi/php/mysql.. that will be something else nice for you to play with if they offer it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 09:47:56 PM »

>> Could I do much with 250Mb ?

A lot! 
The main kitz domain (not including the forums and dynamic pages) uses circa 50MB disk space and it must have a few hundred pages.  However this site is optimised to use as little bandwidth as possible and I dont offer downloads or too many large images, therefore its deliberately kept as small as possible. 
Disk space isnt the problem for me - its bandwidth that I use a heck of a lot of - The more people that visit, then the more bandwidth you use.

Ask how much bandwidth you get... but if they are offering 250GB, I should imagine the bandwidth allowance would be more than adequate to cover a small/med business, as long as you dont do anything silly like host "shared files" or make large downloads available, you will be perfectly fine.

Whilst asking you could also check that they allow subdomain and will point them to an IP.  Also ask if they do cgi/php/mysql.. that will be something else nice for you to play with if they offer it.

Only 50 MB Disk space for your web site,  :o thats interesting.
Re."Disk space isnt the problem for me - its bandwidth that I use a heck of a lot of - The more people that visit, then the more bandwidth you use."

Do you have to pay for the bandwidth ? Or pay for extra if you use a lot ?

I have opened a ticket with my ISP.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 01:26:36 AM »

>> Do you have to pay for the bandwidth ? Or pay for extra if you use a lot ?

You will be given a monthly limit of how much you can use.
Depends on the host - most will automatically stop serving pages once youve reached your limit.. others may charge you.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 07:15:56 PM »

Some body been busy ! 'Kitz'  ;)
Had some answers back from my ISP.
This is what they say:-
 1. You can choose a sub-domain with any of our connections.  You can not point it to another domain / IP.
2. The is no bandwidth allowance as far as I am aware.
3. cgi/php/mysql is only allowed on the payable webspace package.
4. The hosting is virtial server.
5. The free webspace is basic linux space.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Does number 2 seem right ?
I'm going to ask them to make clear if they own the domain or me, because they say."I can confirm that the free domain will remain free as long as you are on qualifying package."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 09:36:05 PM »

1. You can choose a sub-domain with any of our connections.  You can not point it to another domain / IP.

:( - there goes the idea of pointing to your own webserver.  My old ISP used to let you.. and you can do with the hosting package Im on now - I suppose they must class that as a premium or paid for service :/

2. The is no bandwidth allowance as far as I am aware.

Wow -OMG - I could get a business package and run a site like this off them for free  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously I think they'd have a fit if I did - I would imagine it will be like my old ISP free hosting and the server is shared amongst several hundred/thousand others.. I could just imagine the impact  :o
They possibly must have to have some sort of FUP somewhere - they'd have to....  so I suppose unless the site is busy then you'd be ok.

3. cgi/php/mysql is only allowed on the payable webspace package.

blahhh - oh well worth a try.

>> "I can confirm that the free domain will remain free as long as you are on qualifying package."

hmmm.. check what happens if you ever move to another adsl package.. or if you move ISPs..  Sometimes theres a buy-out fee that probably applies.. or you'd have to wait a minimum period. Sometimes this is a hitch with free ISP domains. 
Years ago when I used ISP hosting, I kept all my domain names with another company specifically so I wasnt tied down and could move hosting if I wished.  Even now I use different companies for the domain name and web-hosting.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 12:02:07 AM »

I re asked them about 2
They said :-
"If the traffic to free webspace gets excessive the speed would degrade and eventually become unaccessable".
also asked the use of the free domain name being used on the free web space
there answer :-  "You would have to firstly set-up a sub-domain with us and then point, or redirect, the free domain to the sub-domain". Whats the point, >:(  who wants .myISP.co.uk  in there business web page address  :'( .

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 12:10:16 AM »

>> If the traffic to free webspace gets excessive the speed would degrade and eventually become unaccessable

ahh.. as I thought... and it would also affect anyone elses thats on the same server :/

"You would have to firstly set-up a sub-domain with us and then point, or redirect, the free domain to the sub-domain". Whats the point, Angry  who wants .myISP.co.uk  in there business web page address

hmm.. not as good as it first appears then.   Theres different ways that they can do this but like you say if you want to link to any specific pages then normally you end up with the isp domain somewhere in the url.
iirc Just the name (or what ever MNs old hosting was) was one of the few that did invisible virtual hosting.

-----