Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 60GB cap for existing AOL accounts?  (Read 7800 times)

smoo

Re: 60GB cap for existing AOL accounts?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot to turn on the email notification  :(
I've had a look at the letter I got from AOL, it does not give a name to the package I have, but it definitely says unlimited.  I got this deal when I asked for a MAC with the intention of changing ISP.  But their salesman was too good for me, and persuaded me to stay on with a deal of £10/mth for 6 mths and another 12 mths at £18  :-[.  This is not too bad a deal as my exchange does not have LLU equipment.  I was on silver at 2Mb, and now can get 6.5Mb on a good night.  Speed can vary, but that could be due to a low SNR I get.  Maybe I should fit an I-plate.  As for capping my downloads, I don't know if they ever have.  Do you get a message if you have?  Or do they just throttle the speed?  I used the ttb meter for a while, I reckon I am using about 4 to 8Gb a week.  AOL use traffic shaping and so torrents etc. are always slow, though the salesman said all ISPs do this, but the speed is unrestricted off-peak (midnight to 7am).  But then he would say that wouldn't he  ::)
Anyway I've waffled on a bit, But I must say I got a bit obsessed with download speeds for a while, but in the end realised as long as I can watch on demand stuff, why worry.
Lastly would I recommend AOL, not really.  I think there's better deals to be had, especially if your exchange has LLU.  Also they have cut back on their services, eg picture storage and personal webpages were removed last year.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: 60GB cap for existing AOL accounts?
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 05:28:24 PM »

>> As for capping my downloads, I don't know if they ever have.  Do you get a message if you have?  Or do they just throttle the speed?

As mentioned it seems to vary with the amounts - but they certainly do throttle.

>> 4 to 8Gb a week.

You may well be just under their (changeable) limits - I have also  heard mentions of 20/40GB depending on packages - so its possible that youre ok.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]

anything