Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zone Alarm and Norton Antivirus 2009  (Read 13859 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: Zone Alarm and Norton Antivirus 2009
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 10:52:15 PM »

OF and anyone else,
This is the Norton link that explains what to do with different verions of Norton:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfdocs/2005113009323013
dave

Russell

• Just arrived
New Computer Security Options
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 09:34:49 PM »

I have Norton and Zone Alarm on 2 computers and just purchased a new computer and would prefer not to use Norton on it.  I would appreciate any recommendations from the forum about the security products you are happy with.

Thank you,

MaryAnn

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 07:33:46 AM »

I would appreciate any recommendations from the forum about the security products you are happy with.

This combination works for me: Avast antivirus, Zone Alarm firewall, Spyware Terminator.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 08:33:38 AM »

I use AVG anti-virus and firewalls Zone Alarm on two of my PCs and Comodo on the 3rd. Spybot is my other tool I have installed. All seem to work well for me.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 08:51:03 AM »

My mix is Avast Home Edition, Comodo firewall, Spybot S+D and A-Squared..............all free, all good and all working with each other without problem.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 09:37:42 AM »

i forgot to mention as well as those real-time apps, I also have SpywareBlaster in the background, plus these scanners: Adaware, MalwareBytes & SuperAntiSpyware.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 09:44:30 AM »

Ah, yes I had forgotten that I too have spywareblaster.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 10:18:51 AM »

Yep, I use Avast Home Edition with Zone Alarm firewall plus Spybot S+D, Spyware Blaster and Adaware (not as fond of this last one though and I may get rid of it).  All work well together and I've been very happy with them. :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: New Computer Security Options
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 04:04:24 PM »

I would appreciate any recommendations from the forum about the security products you are happy with.

Looking at other peoples list's Mine seems to be a bit on the small side.

Ad-Aware 2008 (Free), which I am thinking of getting rid of as it rarely finds anything detrimental and is constantly running in the background for what seems no reason.

Avast AV (Free & Paid for versions, although I must say, I have not noticed any difference between the two".
(Currently in the process of completely coming back to Avast from AVG on all my PC's.)
Just not as happy with AVG as I used to be.

SpywareBlaster (Free). Don't even know it's there, except for manually updating it each week or so.

Windows "Software firewall", but my system is also protected by the routers "Hardware firewall".
However, "Tiny Firewall" was also another well used program in the past.

edit:
It should be noted that "Software & Hardware" firewalls are allowed to run on the system at the same time and will not cause any conflicts. (But no more than one of each running at the same time).

However unlike firewalls, with Antivirus programs.
It is only permissible to have "one antivirus" program running at any one time.
(Having more than one running at the same time may cause a conflict to the system)

Although, it is permissible to have more than one actually installed at the same time, providing the second is not allowed to run in the background at the same time. (de-activated)
However, if using any of the free on-line antivirus checks it is not necessary to disable the on-board program at that time.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 05:27:52 PM by oldfogy »

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 04:36:34 PM »

Like everyone else I use Zone Alarm with Avast and SuperAntiSpware and there appears to be no conflict. I use the google tool bar popups blocker, but I assume ZA would do it as well.

Perhaps I may bold and ask if you could do one of your tutorials OF, wandering around various forums people do seem to get confused between Anti-Virus programmes and spyware programmes quite often assuming they are one and the same and only installing one.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything