Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zone Alarm and Norton Antivirus 2009  (Read 13841 times)

MikeS

Zone Alarm and Norton Antivirus 2009
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:41:22 AM »

I installed Norton Antivirus 2009 on my computer last night, which has Zone Alarm pro firewall (7.0.483.000).  The system locked up, had to switch power off.  Went into safe mode removed NAV and tried again to instal it, same result.  Reinstalled the earlier version NAV 2008, system is now running OK.  Seems there is a problem with Zone Alarm & NAV 2009.  Symantec say not their problem, if you want to run Zone Alarm you have to go back to NAV 2008.  Zone alarm don't seem to have a solution. I think come subscription renewal I will have to switch to either Norton or Zone Alarm for the integrated firewall/AV product.  There seems to be a policy of not caring if your product doesn't work a widely used competitor product.  I guess they do it to push you towards their integrated product.  All in all it is highly irritating, wasted a couple of hours, which could have been avoided if NAV 2009 had come up with a pop up saying 'I don't work with Zone Alarm'

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Zone Alarm and Norton Antivirus 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »

Its known that having 2x AVs can cause conflicts, but you'd think that NAV would be aware that there are some people out there that use Zone Alarm.
Thats not good :/

or could it be that they dont much care because they want you to purchase a Symantec package such as Norton Internet Security.... and just reading further down your post..  you actually said it.. " will have to switch to either Norton or Zone Alarm for the integrated firewall/AV product. ".. which is probably what they want.

Out of interest I wonder if theres a similar problem with NAV 2009 and other free firewalls such a Kerio.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 04:30:55 PM »

The long term answer, IMHO, is to use software that doesn't cost a penny.

My real time monitoring combo is Avast! antivirus + Zone Alarm firewall + Spyware Terminater = a rock solid security system that costs exactly £0.00.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

MikeS

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:42:45 AM »

New version of Zone Alarm out which works with NAV 2009

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html

Russell

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 12:24:23 AM »

I had big troubles with NAV 09 and had to remove Zone Alarm.  Can I confirm with Mike's post that the latest version of Zone Alarm is compatible Windows XP and all?

Thanks,

MaryAnn

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 10:20:37 AM »

I am using Zone Alarm (free version 8.0.020.000) on XP along with Avast! antivirus.  I have had no compatibility problems and am pretty happy with both progs. :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:33:33 AM »

I hate anything Norton and steer clear of it at all costs. I've never seen any other AV suite cause so much hassle, and the only way to be absolutely sure you've removed 100% of it is to format and re-install windows. Its also a huge resource hog, simply a waste of time IMHO.....
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »

I use Norton Internet Security 2009 on Vista and I think its great.

It doesn't slow down startup or otherwise like previous versions would have.

I have a 3user license and purchased 08 last year for £24.99 and a few months ago an offer popped up from Live Update asking if I would like a free Upgrade to 2009, have looked back since.

I will definitely be renewing my sub in January!

Only thing I don't like is the built in spyware protection and therefore use Spyware Doctor  :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 11:35:18 AM »

I had big troubles with NAV 09 and had to remove Zone Alarm.  Can I confirm with Mike's post that the latest version of Zone Alarm is compatible Windows XP and all?

Thanks,

MaryAnn

MaryAnn,
Welcome to the forums.

Please clearup a few things.
You had problems with Norton AV 09 and removed Zonealarm.
Firstly what part of Zonealarm did you use before removing it? Just the free firewall or the security suite.
What firewall are you now using?
What problems were you having?
Do you still have NAV 09 installed?

To guess at what you were wanting an answer to:
The FREE ZoneAlarm firewall should work on XP with NAV 09 without any problems.
Get the latest version from HERE.

Post back with your answers to my questions and any other worries that you may have.

dave

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 03:46:56 PM »

From an ex Norton fanatic who thought they were the best programs since sliced bread and who could bare to hear anyone running down Norton/Symantec products.

With the exception of Norton Ghost which runs of a floppy disc, I will not now allow any Norton resource hogging program anywhere near my PC's.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 04:52:27 PM »

Dave
I have downloaded from your link I get zasetup_en.exe OK  but when I try to run this  I get 

"set up was unable to find the msi package or patch
"http//redirect ... etc"

any Ideas ?
Jeff
zen user

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 05:02:30 PM »

Jeff,
Found this:

1.) The "MSI" (MicroSoft Installer) error, means that the Downloaded ZAFree File that you tried to install, was Incomplete or Corrupted during the Download..

I would recomend deleting the downloaded file and clean out your Temp and Cache files IE Temp files and Recycle Bin..

2 - Don't use any download managers or web accelerators( often used with dial-up) = [these conflict with ZA = and should not be used] during ZA Download

So it may have been a twitchy setup download. Just clear out all temp files etc and try another download.

dave

Russell

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »

Dave,

Thank you for the confirmation - I have downloaded the latest free firewall from ZA and it's working fine now.  Initially after downloading NAV 09 with my current version of ZA free firewall my computer locked up.  I had to power off and get into "start up" and keep ZA from loading so I could remove it.

Thanks again,

MaryAnn

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 10:28:24 PM »

MaryAnn,
Pleased to hear that you have got Zonealarm and Norton working side-by-side.
Norton always appears to want to be leader of the gang and, at times, it needs a good kicking to make it knuckle under.
Just as a passing thought, if you ever need to do a system restore for any reason, disable Norton before trying to do it.
It will not let SR make any changes and a restore inevitably fails if Norton is left on.
dave

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 10:37:23 PM »

Just as a passing thought, if you ever need to do a system restore for any reason, disable Norton before trying to do it.
It will not let SR make any changes and a restore inevitably fails if Norton is left on.

Although I had forgotten that "again" (so thanks for the reminder) but a long time ago I stopped using System Restore because it never worked, and at the time did not know it was because of Norton. Which used to cause me all types of problems.
Pages: [1] 2