Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PayPal Scam  (Read 14996 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
PayPal Scam
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:53:13 AM »

I have just received this email in my Yahoo spam folder.I do not have an account with Paypal.

Dear PayPal Member,

This email confirms that you have paid robertoelectronics (roberto211@aol.com) $439.00 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL robertoelectronics*".

PayPal Shopping Cart Contents
Item Name:       Nokia 8800 Brand New
Quantity:       1
Total:       $410.00 USD

Cart Subtotal:       $410.00 USD
Shipping Charge:       $30.00 USD
Cart Total:       $440.00 USD

Shipping Information

Shipping Info:       Roberto Iank
540 Catherine Road
New York, NY 10018
United States
Address Status:       Unconfirmed
If you haven't authorized this charge, click the link below to cancel the payment and get a full refund.
Dispute Transaction
Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Edit,if anyone else gets one of these forward it to Paypal security centre  spoof@paypal.com  then delete it
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 09:05:39 AM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: PayPal Scam
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 10:33:24 AM »

B*****ds! Good advice Phil.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 01:05:43 PM »

Dear PayPal Member,

That is one of the easiest give aways that its a scam.  Any genuine mail Ive had from paypal has always addressed me by my full name.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 01:13:55 PM »

This is part of the reply I have just received from paypal.

Thanks for taking an active role by reporting suspicious-looking emails.
The email you forwarded to us is a phishing email, and our security team
is working to disable it.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 03:19:18 PM »

2 chaps on my team have had their paypal accounts hacked.

it seems that gmail is being hack first, which usually has the paypal credentials on a mail, then they change to filters so all paypal emails go straight into the bin so you cant see whats been happening.

both got their money back tho' !
Paul

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 03:32:23 PM »

If you haven't authorized this charge, click the link below to cancel the payment and get a full refund.

This I would assume is the part that will be catching people out.

To be able to get a "so-called" refund you will have to give out your CC details..............  >:D

And obviously there will also be some "naive" people out there who think that by following the link, they are going to get a refund knowing that they are not entitled to one.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 04:31:17 PM »

And obviously there will also be some "naive" people out there who think that by following the link, they are going to get a refund knowing that they are not entitled to one.

Spot on there OF. So many of these scams rely on people's greed. That's exactly why the old Nigerian scam was so successful of course.
  Eric

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 04:52:26 PM »

Okay so now I'm a paranoid nervous wreck.

As some of you know I locked myself out of my online bank account, the new password took four days to arrive in the post. :(
By which time I had missed my credit card payment deadline, I could of course have phoned up and paid it that way, but to be honest I would rather pay the £12 late payment fee and have peace of mind, rather than give my debit card details out over the phone, told you I was paranoid.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 06:42:31 PM »

I would say that in these circumstances paranoia is a good idea.
  Eric

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 07:21:28 PM »

This is my own personal opinion and I have no proven  facts, but I feel that the reason banks and credit card companies never pursue a fraud through the police is because a lot of it is internal and they do not wish their systems to be scrutinized in the light of day, thereby revealing their flaws.

I know there is an argument for saying the less people know how they operate the more chance of catching someone, but do they ever, or are they as it seems content to just keep on refunding fraudulent transactions, as I doubt they do this out of the goodness of their heart someone pays i.e you and me in fees and interest charges.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 08:10:51 PM »

Once upon a time where I worked, we always used to get the police involved.

In the case of stolen cheque books, we even used to put the cheques into little sealed plastic envelopes.  These were then sent off for finger printing.
In the case of fraudulent card / switch abuse sometimes we got CCTV footage. eg it was common to ask petrol stations, and we'd also sent bank CCTV footage off for further investigation.

I dont know what happened - but at some point the police said they werent bothered... and they stopped collecting chqs like they used to.  Therefore leaving the banks to foot the bill.. unless it was a large amount when "the bank" rather than "the branch" would take over the case.
Our Visa dept had their own fraud section.

I guess it was a case of unless it was over a certain amount then the police didnt think it was worth the time/effort of a police investigation/ man power.

Everytime there was a fraud case, a file always got opened at the branch regardless and we kept a running tally of the amount of loss.  The vast amount of losses were generally down to theft of handbag or "loss" were someone say left their jacket on the back of a chair etc etc. 
Another common area that used to be opportunist was the "paper slips" ie the carbon copies that used to be made when you ran visa cards through the old type machines.  This was usually restuarant/shope staff. 

Obviously chip and PIN put a halt to that sort of thing.
What crime took over from that was (non bank) staff of another sort... ie when certain companies kept a list of your credit cards that was easily accessible to all members of staff and they would attempt to purchase something online - stupidly not realising that at some point it would be traced electronically.  (I think Rizla would quite happily confirm that this can happen).

Then of course there's the big internet type theft - much of which is said to have its roots with Russian or Mafia connections.

The printing of credit cards was all outsourced to a security firm, so bank staff never had anything to do with cards and any batches that were delivered to the branch for some reason or other (customer didnt want them going out by post).. were delivered via Securicor and we had to have a special log of delivery and customers signature of when they picked the card up.  A designated supervisor would be responsible for these cards whilst they remained in the branch and if anything went amiss.. well it kinda pointed the finger to that staff member. :/

The opportunity for bank staff themselves is very very slim.  Yes they may have certain access.. but if you as branch staff was going to attempt to pass something through yourself then you'd be bl00dy stupid.  Because all transactions were traceable back to a specific staff member via their access log-in.   TBH I would probably guard my staff access login far more than I would my own credit card details..  theres no way I would ever have given another staff member access to my login.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 08:18:18 PM »

Most people I know but the details of their old credit/debit card into PayPal and then change them back when they need it.

A relative of mine had their PayPal account hacked and PayPal told them that it was an "inside job".

The money was refunded the next day and the card cancelled, they left their old card details in there so that it is useless ;)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 08:44:14 PM »

I know what your're saying Kitz, I used to cash up three tills every day back in the days when it was all done with imprinters and carbon interleaved copies, how I hated christmas filling in all the summary sheets, and then you'd get the one or two that hadn't imprinted properly and had an indistinct digit. But those were different times, now with outsourcing quite frankly you do not know who you are talking to or where.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 08:26:55 AM »

since I heard of the scam on my team members, if I need to make a paypal payment, I edit my details, enter my credit/debit card number, make the transaction, then remove the card from the paypal account.

no-one can steal from me that way !!
Paul

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 01:46:04 AM »

This one I got tonight cracked me up.

Yeah like Im really going to respond to a badly written and poor grammar email....  to a livemail account  :-X

REF: SR000847

CONGRATULATION SELECTED WINNER,

The Paypal Payback raffle draw conducted on 9th of October 2008,
the results has just been released today. And we wish to announce
to you that you have been selected as one of the lucky winners of
Paypal promotion draw with a Ticket No: A0258176X, REF: SR000847
making you the winner of the total Prize of ONE MILLION GREAT
BRITISH POUNDS STERLING (1,000,000.00 GBP).

How do I claim my prize?
All claim will be verified by our agent company, you are therefore
require to send corresponding mail notice for claim to our agent
with the information along with your
, Name:
, Address:
, Sex:
, Age:
, Nationality:
, Occupation :
, Telephone Number:

Upon confirmation of your status, your prize fund will made available
for payment by our paying banks.

Contact Claim Agent Company: ROYAL BOB HILTON AND SECURITIES
Tel: +44 70457 19546, +44 70457 55017
Email: claimsdepartment64@live.com

Congratulate again and we wish you more chances.

Hern?ndez Francisco Adri?n
Europe Organizing Committee
Manchester City  Central Claims Office
======================================================================

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-----
Pages: [1] 2