Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: just to say a BIG thank you to this site  (Read 4300 times)

bigsyd

• Just arrived
just to say a BIG thank you to this site
« on: December 19, 2006, 09:28:29 PM »

well i have just had my 2nd bt visit regarding my [censored] d/l speeds,the max i have had for 3 months is 30Kbps, 3 months ago i upgraded to the pipex max deal, anyway to cut a long story short, the same bt guy came as the first time, and i told him what i thought was wrong..... he could not find anything wrong on the 1st visit...when i use the bt speed test site it was telling me my ip profile is 250kbps my up rate was 448kbps and down was 7328kbps, so i said to him how the hell can i download fast when my ip profile is set at 250kbps...... that's when i lost him to the dark side... he then got onto some guru at bt who checked my ip profile (Bras)....guess what....it had been set up incorrect by bt or pipex. the guru re did all the settings....10 mins later i am now d/l at 6500kbps  ;D ;D

is there any chance somebody can check my us robotics router stats and tell me if things are good or bad  :-[

Mode: G.DMT 
Type: Interleave 
Line coding: Trellis On 
Link power state: L0 

Downstream Upstream
SNR margin (dB): 6.5  24.0 
Attenuation (dB): 29.0  14.5 
Output power (dBm): 19.8  12.2 
Attainable rate (Kbps): 8512  1192 
Rate (Kbps): 7840  448 
K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 246  15 
R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 20  16 
S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 1  8 
D (interleaver depth): 64  4 
Delay (msec): 16  8 

Super Frames: 1687163  1687161 
Super Frame Errors: 33  2 
RS Words: 229454232  14340868 
RS Correctable Errors: 67253  106 
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 960  N/A 

HEC Errors: 29  0 
OCD Errors: 0  0 
LCD Errors: 0  0 
Total Cells: 530342227  0 
Data Cells: 25983700  0 
Bit Errors: 0  0 

Total ES: 31  0 
Total SES: 3  0 
Total UAS: 87  0 

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: just to say a BIG thank you to this site
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 11:35:37 PM »

Hi Bigsyd, and welcome to the Kitz forum.

Looks like the professor/s are having a slow night so hang on in there and no doubt someone will get back to you with a comment.

Not me I'm afraid, don't know my modem from a router half the time. :scare:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 12:02:47 AM »

Hi syd and welcome.

believe it or not I'd actually typed a longish reply to you..  then my lappy crashed and I lost the lot
(it has a fit every so often which seems to be perhaps related to when I have VNC open).

reply to follow .......

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 12:14:49 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 12:16:07 AM »

>> SNR margin (dB): 6.5

Watch that Margin - Im not sure how the USR performs with low SNR - but to be fair I dont think Ive heard anything adverse about them.

>>> Attainable rate (Kbps): 8512  1192

Is an indication of the maximum speed your line is capable of acheiving based on the current conditions - which is more than the maximum of 8128 on maxDSL.

I notice you have interleaving turned on and it seems to be working well and recovering from lots of errors.  I do notice there is a patch of uncorrected - but I have no indication of when that was so it could have been just one batch from some time ago, or it could be just a few spread out over a period of time.  It may even date back to what ever caused the low sync which in turn caused the 250 IP profile in the first place.

>> Rate (Kbps): 7840 

Theoretically the maximum sync speed if your line is interleaved is *supposed* to be 7616, but as has already been discussed on several threads on here already - you have somehow entered a twighlight zone that a few others have also seen  ;)

From what I can see everything looks fine now :)

---

As regards to your problem it would seem that somehow you ended up with a stuck bRAS profile.  What caused it to go right down to 250 in the first place Ive no idea, and we may never know :/
It could have been several things - bad strom..  bad patch of interferance..  something local.. or even too much rebooting the router several times over in quick sucession.

The main thing is that it is sorted now.
Thank you for joining and letting us know your experience.. its always nice to have things like this on the record as it may well help others in the future. :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 12:18:21 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 08:03:25 AM »

Looks like the professor/s are having a slow night

At the time you posted that, I was fast asleep :) Anyway, I can't add anything to Kitz' complete answer.

Eric
  Eric

bigsyd

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 05:16:59 PM »

thanks for the fast reply all ;D ;D.. just a few more questions :-[

>> SNR margin (dB): 6.5

1 Watch that Margin - Im not sure how the USR performs with low SNR - but to be fair I dont think Ive heard anything adverse about them

what would happen to the USR in this case..whould i suffer from disconnections? as this has never happend

2 As regards to your problem it would seem that somehow you ended up with a stuck bRAS profile.  What caused it to go right down to 250 in the first place Ive no idea, and we may never know :/
It could have been several things - bad strom..  bad patch of interferance..  something local.. or even too much rebooting the router several times over in quick sucession

hmmmmmm .... well untill finding this site that explained most things so i could understand it :o i was deffo guilty of this a lot more than several times :-[ :-[ :-[ ....or even too much rebooting the router several times over in quick sucession

anyway last night hit my d/l record with utorrent, a film 718MB and was d/l @ 752kB/s 8) finished in well less than 20mins from a private torrent site
thanks all again

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 10:14:46 PM »

Hi

>> what would happen to the USR in this case..whould i suffer from disconnections?

Each router seems to have different levels at which it can hold on to a line when the SNR Margin gets too low.  6dB is generally thought of as the point when some lines can start to have problems with disconnections and dropping out - depending on the modem/router.  Some routers have a reputation more than others at being able to hang on.

>> as this has never happend

Thats good :)  I wasnt too sure from your first post if it had or not.

>> or even too much rebooting the router several times over in quick sucession.

Most people wouldnt be aware of this either - either way its shouldnt have caused a stuck bRAS profile if thats what it was.

>> was d/l @ 752kB/s

:thumbs:
-----

anything