Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Long Overdue Intro  (Read 4301 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Long Overdue Intro
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:00:13 PM »

I joined the Forum in the middle of last year so I thought it was about time I tried to properly introduce myself.
I have been retired for nearly twenty years so I have reached my maturity, my family would say my second childhood! After a career spent intially teaching ground radar in the RAF and then installing and maintaining TV and radio transmitters for the ITA/IBA I found the conversion from hardware to software based engineering a fascinating but confusing process. I'm still confused most of the time!
I have great cause to be thankful to the Forum for all the valuable help I received when I was first Max'ed and I was trying to improve and understand my connection. I would not have the nice stable set up I have now without it. Thanks again to all concerned.
In retirement my main hobbies have been my PC and my boat. I have used the PC in my various roles with my boat club and my retirement association, using all the Office applications to keep accounts (Excel), databases (Access) and of course Word. I have also become familiar (nearly said adept!) with MS Publisher to produce Newsletters.
I sail my old Westerly in the Solent mostly and I have set up a chart plotter on an laptop using a GPS and a shareware program. This is hardly necessary in the Solent but it was a satisfying technical exercise. And a lot cheaper than buying a chart plotter.
Off to do some plumbing for my youngest daughter now - back to hardware engineering again!
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Long Overdue Intro
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »

Hiya tony

Thanks for the formal intro and a lil bit of info about yourself which is nice when people become "regs", I do so your name as being online or posting from time to time and Im glad you find the site useful. -  and thank you  for your kind comments.

As you will have no doubt already sussed out, we are mostly a friendly lot around here and the forum is gradually building up more and more regulars whose contributions I greatly appreciate and value.

So- a long overdue - welcome aboard :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 01:19:49 PM »

hi tony .... at last  :P
Paul

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 02:01:22 PM »

A belated welcome from me too :)
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 02:13:18 PM »

Welcome aboard Tony,I'm sure you know your way round by now.  :)

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »

After a career spent intially teaching ground radar in the RAF and then installing and maintaining TV and radio transmitters for the ITA/IBA I found the conversion from hardware to software based engineering a fascinating but confusing process.

Hey there and welcome. Hmm I've always been interested in how radar systems work, how pilots get the radar locks on enemy aircrafts and how the AWACS reports work. Welcome once again  :)
Imagine™

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »

Thanks to all the kind souls who responded to my posting. It really wasn't done to elicit responses although they're always nice to receive, but out of a guilty feeling that all the regular posters had introduced themselves and I hadn't.
Imagine.   My knowledge of radar was current in the late 50's so you will have to look elsewhere for info on AWACS reports. Sorry!
Tony

anything