Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Reformatting Drive`s..  (Read 2825 times)

bully4me

Reformatting Drive`s..
« on: October 05, 2008, 11:22:39 PM »

My friend recently had to send his laptop back for repair,on return was a leaflet explaining that the repairs had been professionally carried out and that the hard drive had been reformatted completely.
What surprised me was all of his setting were still as they were before he send it for repair,even his desktop icons were there and his network settings,when we booted it up it connected to his network immediately,
what I want to know is how do they do that!,I realise that some sort of back up must have been used but do the professional`s use different programs to us or do they just use the stardard one`s like we would have to,
I like to reformat my drive`s at least once a year and would love to be able to do this without having to reinstall all my setting`s again..any tip`s..thank you..May

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Reformatting Drive`s..
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 11:37:25 PM »

The chances are that they used the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" or at least a very similar program.
Although the program is designed to transfer files and settings from one PC to another, the same applies even just for backing up to restore at a later date.

Although you don't say if his previously installed programs were still available, which normally using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard does not do.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:42:28 PM by oldfogy »

bully4me

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 11:47:51 PM »

Thanks for that reply..May

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 01:17:49 PM »

hi b4m

depending what make of lappy it is ... some makes do have 'non destructive recovery' option which reinstalls windows core files but leaves everything else alone.

Paul

anything