Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: High DB range on 1MB ADSL  (Read 3828 times)

GODz

• Just arrived
High DB range on 1MB ADSL
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:40:29 PM »

Hi guys ;D

This is my first post, your site kicks ass, and ive seen Kits leaving messages in other random forums and reliased he knows what he is doing, so decided to come over and see if you can help me out? (enough bum licking me thinks  :P :P :P :P :P)

Ive been helping out my good mate on an issue hes having with the broadband. Hes on 1mb ADSL broadband, hes RAG tests (www.samknow.com) indicate good line qualification,
2mb = green
1mb = greem
0.5 = green

so its all good on that end, He is 1.6 miles from the local telephone exchange and that is if he follows the longest route (road layout) to the exchange and i suppose direct would be half that.

Code: [Select]
Circuit Information

Circuit In Sync
Upstream xDSL Link Info

Loop Loss
 28.5 dB
 Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss
 63.5 dB Long Line: please be aware that a >60db result does not necessarily indicate a Line Fault

not sure if there is sync to the dslam but i doubt it.

not sure where to go from here? the DB range is high, as for 1mb it should be @ max of 54, so perhaps a downgrade is in order, but even @ 512 he would have issues.

My question is: Why is there so much noise no a goodline? also how can this be reduced?  ??? ???

cheers guys
much appreciated
 ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: High DB range on 1MB ADSL
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »

Hi godz and welcome to the forum :)

>> Loop Loss  63.5 dB Long Line:

The info given there looks as if its been taken from a WOOSH test performed by his ISP.
63.5dB is the maximum attenuation figure that some routers report, and is normally seen on the longest lines. :/

That is quite a bit higher than I would expect to see on a line that is 1.6miles from the exchange, but who knows what routing BT take.. and could also depend on other various factors such as aluminium on the line.

It would be interesting if he could get his line stats from his router so we can look at his SNR Margin.
Details how to get line stats from most routers/modems here:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

The figures that we need to judge the situation better are
~ Connection (sync) speed
~ Attenuation
~ SNR (noise) Margin
~ details of any CRC/HEC errors would also be helpful.

You dont state what the actual problems are - but Im assuming from what you say, that his line is perhaps having frequent disconnections? Possibly more so in the evenings when SNR tends to get worse?

One of the first things that I would perhaps be trying is seeing if the line stats improve when the router/modem is plugged into the test socket behind the master phone socket.

Details how to do this and the usual recommendations for improving a low SNR line are listed here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GODz

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:18:37 PM »

sorry could have given more details,

there is no sync at the moment and he cannot connect, as far as i know hes using a belking 54g, so ill see if he can get me some real stats.

Thanks ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 03:22:27 PM »

ahhh sorry... saw this

"Circuit In Sync Upstream xDSL Link Info "

Has he ever been able to get sync?  Is this a new connection or has this just occured recently say after a speed increase?

Try the test socket to see if he can get sync from there.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GODz

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 06:03:07 PM »

i will try him to try the test socket on the MS,

also he was able to use it and nothing has been done at the time it has gone down