Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: trying to set up...  (Read 7691 times)

Danny

• Just arrived
trying to set up...
« on: October 01, 2008, 09:06:11 PM »

... a network connection from a wireless dongle and a laptop
& i also want to use the dongle to conect my wii to the inet through the pc

but i cant find the the laptop from the dongle or the dongle from the laptop

and its the same for the wii

im a complete noob! pls help!

thanx

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: trying to set up...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:42:38 PM »

Hi Danny, welcome to Kitz's forum.

I'm not going to be much/any help to you with this except to ask you to show some stats, such as:
What make of laptop, XP or Vista, and possibly anything else along these lines which someone is more than likely
going to ask you.
I don't know if it's going to be relevant, but even the type of dongle.

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »

Also see if you can describe more clearly the topology of your network:  how many machines, what network adaptors they have (wired/wireless cards and dongles), your router/modem make and model, etc.  Your message is badly written and does not present a clear picture of what you have and what you want connecting.
Regards,
Mick

Danny

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »

well ive managed to get an adhoc network started but still cant get anything to connect properly, they connect but they wont access each other

the laptop is an advent with vista

the pc is a dell with xp

the dongle is an AzureWave aw-gu210

and well a wii is a wii lol so its a wireless connection

the inet is talk talk through a bt voyager 105

i hope this helps!

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:12:03 PM »

Where is the dongle connected?  Let's assume that it is connected to the PC?  Download and install the necessary WinXP driver for the dongle from the manufacturer's website.  Then set up a bridge between the dialup connection that your USB modem is using and the dongle: just like aunty Sharon.

HTH.
Regards,
Mick

Danny

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 11:43:57 PM »

yeah the dongles in the pc, and i already got the software for it, that was the firs thing i did

and as for the bridge ive got a bridge set up accross the lan (which has nothing connected) the wirless and the LAN 2 (which i think is for the inet even though the modem doesnt use an ethernet cable)

so it still aint working

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 09:59:02 PM »

yeah the dongles in the pc, and i already got the software for it, that was the firs thing i did
Fine.  So, when you go to your Device Manager is the device enabled under Network Adapters and shown without any yellow ? on it?

and as for the bridge ive got a bridge set up accross the lan (which has nothing connected) the wirless and the LAN 2 (which i think is for the inet even though the modem doesnt use an ethernet cable)

so it still aint working
Listen Danny, unless someone else can read your mind to know what you have tried or not and see what you are seeing without being there, you'll have to break it into small change for me.

Have you read, understood and tried the guidance given in the previous link that I posted?

If yes, why have you not connected the USB and wireless adapters to the bridge?
Regards,
Mick

Danny

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »

sorry im not coming across very clear on this here ive taken a screen shot and will explain

talk talk is the broadband dial up

wireless network connection 2 is the dongle

local area connection 2 is the broadband modem

local area connection is the LAN which isnt in use

the network bridge is connecting the wireless network and both the local area connections

id also like to note that i cant seem to delete/disable/or do anything to the network bridge

all the devices are working correctly too

the pc and the laptop can connect but it just tells me theres limited activity?

could this be due to zonealarm blocking the network access?

if so how can i correct this problem?

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 08:09:51 PM »

OK, disable all connections. 

Try to delete the network bridge - hopefully you won't need to reboot to do this. 

Ctrl + Right Click to select the 'Wireless Network Connection 2' and 'Local Area Connection 2'.  Create a new bridge by right clicking and selecting Bridge Connections.

Then, one at a time enable the 'Local Area Connection 2'.

Enable Talk-Talk.

Enable 'Wireless Network Connection 2'.

Enable bridge.

If 'Wireless Network Connection 2' cannot be enabled you are having the problem described in the article I sent you under the Troubleshooting section and you will need to set the dongle driver in promiscuous mode as described there.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Mick

Danny

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »

ok, well ive just  tried to disable the network connections and all i got is an error message which reads as follows:
Error Disabling Connection
It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This Connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug-and-play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account.

and when trying to disable or disconnect the bridge i get this:
Error Disconnecting
It is not possible to disconnect at this time, the connection is currently busy with a connect or disconnect operation.

well im logged on as the only user on this pc and it has full administrative rights.

so im going to try disconnecting the modem and the dongle and then restart the pc and try this again

i will also take a look at the article you sent me if that fails.

will post back in a bit with the conclusion

many thanx

Danny

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 04:49:17 PM »

ok well ive managed to disable all the network adapters, but i still cant delete the bridge?  :no:

im just going to take a look at that article now, and if that doesnt help then im going to start looking into zonealarm, because i think its probably going to be that blocking the connections

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »

Does it say what is using the bridge?  Totally kill ZoneAlarm, uninstall it if you have to.  Unless misconfigured, the MSWindows firewall is adequate for incoming threats anyway.  Then disable the bridge and remove it.

Hope this works.  Good luck.
Regards,
Mick