Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adice on what ISP to choose  (Read 12147 times)

Maturecheese

Adice on what ISP to choose
« on: October 01, 2008, 01:53:37 PM »

Hi all,
       As you may have read on this site, recently I had a nightmare of a time trying to get BT to recognise that my line had a problem as a long term stable 1.7mb line had gone dowm to around 1mb.  In the end they told me there was nothing else they could do . This was hogwash of course and because of this I dumped bt as the cost wasn't worth the service I was getting and tried TalkTalk.  Now I have no problem with the price they charge, its good, but the fair usage policy they are imposing especially in the evening, is making even browsing awkward with three PC's on the LAN. As I'm on a 30 day trial I am probably going to leave them as well.

I am on the Kenfig Hill exchange and only have a choice of  Tiscali,TalkTalk,Sky,Orange or Aol as they are the only LLU operators. Obviously there BT as well.  What I want is a stable IP profile of 1750kbps back and unlimited usage. price doesn't factor as the main priority.  I just want to be able to download files,some P2P, watch TV on BBC Iplayer, a small amount of gaming online and browse the Net. Its not asking for much is it?  It just seems that I am always going to be stuck with rubbish broaband no matter who I go with. 
Blessed are the Cheesemakers

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Adice on what ISP to choose
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:23:43 PM »

>> Obviously there BT as well.
>> What I want is a stable IP profile of 1750kbps back and unlimited usage.

The BTWholesale IPprofile is applicable to all IP Stream ISPs, such as Zen, Plusnet, Enta, IDNet, etc etc. You will be able to use any of these ISPs

Unlimited usage isnt possible with the IPStream providers, although costs have come down very slightly since I did a report a few years back, the cost to the ISP was as near damn it £1 per GB.  Any reports you see of "Unlimited" should be treated with caution. Its more likely to mean unlimited time - or unlimited downloads at dial up speeds.

LLU is a different kettle of fish, and although all ISPs have some sort of AUP/FUP the only ones who near damn it are unlimited are Be/O2 and sky max. - See ISP CAPs & FUPs.

>> only have a choice of  Tiscali,TalkTalk,Sky,Orange or Aol as they are the only LLU operators.

If you have sky on your exchange then UKOnline are probably there too - worth looking at.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Maturecheese

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »

thanks for the reply.  I'm looking at either UKonline as suggested or Zen as I think they have a good reputation.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 06:09:01 PM »

Hi, have a look here at what people say about various isp's and how they rate them.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/ISP_ratings.php

Maturecheese

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:44:25 AM »

I'm now a little worried about joining UkOnline due to this website I found with mostly negative reviews.

http://blog.broadbandgenie.co.uk/2007/04/13/uk-online-reviews-please

I have my BT phoneline renewal date 17th Oct, three days after I cease with TalkTalk, then I have to choose. I wish I could get Virgin Media cable but alas S Wales (Bridgend Area) is a desert when it comes to ISP's or cable networks.

Edit  Upon reading the reviews on this site maybe they are worth a try as Sky/Easynet are a LLU at my Exchange
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 12:38:34 PM by Maturecheese »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »

hmm - those reports on there do seem a bit dismal.  ???

Although Ive never personally used UKO myself..
... I have spoken to their CS in the past in respect of other matters..  and Ive been pretty impressed that their staff knew what they were talking about and I wasnt fobbed off or the staff come over "glassy eyed" because they didnt have a clue what I was asking/telling them.

TBH I almost went with them myself too, but I later found out that Be was on its way - so theres no way I could have passed up the opportunity of getting a 24Mb connection since Ive got a very short line.

Ive seen reports about UKO from customers on various other sites and the general consensus seems to be that their LLU service is good.  I think there was a patch when there was a bit of a stink about some of their IPStream lines being throttled at one point, but AFAIK the LLU is fine.

Rizla one of the regs on here who is a seasoned adsler, uses UKO. He's been with many ISPs in the past (his line is one of those that often is troublesome through no fault of his or the ISP), so if he's about maybe he would respond.

>> Sky/Easynet are a LLU at my Exchange

Yes... UKO and Sky use the same Easynet backhaul, but they have different products/pricing and support staff.
IIRC Easynet CS are based somewhere in the UK as the ones Ive spoken to have either been scottish/irish or english.

Just bear in mind though that due to the length of your line that you wont get the higher speed products, and you will most likely have interleaving applied.

IMHO out of the LLU suppliers you have available UKO/Sky are probably the best option.

If you wanted to stay IPStream, then there are several ISPs who have good UK support too.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Maturecheese

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 06:08:14 PM »

Yet again, thanks for the reply and info.  It definitely looks like I'll be going with UkOnline as they are LLU and I can't honestly afford Zen (£34.66pm + £47 setup).  On my exchange SWKGH they would still be at the mercy of the local BTW or Openreach staff so there doesn.t seem much point.

Is there a way I can find out if BTW have re-routed my line through the new housing estate in my area and if so get them to reverse it?   Its just that I seem to remember about 15 months ago an engineer telling me the distance was 3.5k and recently I've been told its 4k,strange.   As the crow flies it only 1.7k according to Google Earth.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 06:27:35 PM »

>> I can't honestly afford Zen (£34.66pm + £47 setup).

If youre coming from BT to Zen (or any other IPStream) there wouldnt be the setup fee..  you'd just need a MAC key.
Some ISPs may charge a BTw migration fee of around £15 but most dont charge for straight IPStream --> IPStream migration.

>> Is there a way I can find out if BTW have re-routed my line through the new housing estate in my area and if so get them to reverse it?

Not that I know of unless you know a friendly local BT engineer that could check out your line length..   
rerouting - not really thats very difficult and depends on the options available.. I think its safe to say that the answer to that one would be no.

>> As the crow flies it only 1.7k according to Google Earth.

Cabling never takes straight line distance.. normally from the exchange to the cab it follows the road, either underground or via telegraph poles.

You could try putting your details into the adsl checker which gives you an approx road distance. 
or you could try reverse engineering using the attenuation figure from your line stats into the maximum speed calculator.
I must stress both of these figures are only a guide based on average figures.

-----

Maturecheese

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »

Using max speed calculator and my stats which vary between 58db and 60db, my line length is 4.2 to 4.34.  The trouble is, as I have mentioned in another post, last year an engineer confirmed to me that the cabling is aluminium.  taking that into account, I suspect that the line is shorter as the joints in the ally cable will drive up the attenuation(in theory).

Anyway I just wait and see what I get with UkOnline :-\ :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 08:26:45 PM »

>> I suspect that the line is shorter as the joints in the ally cable will drive up the attenuation(in theory).

Very probably :/
-----

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »

Well I sort of sidestepped UKO tier 1 tech support with my recent issue so I can't comment too much on that side of UKO. For everything else they've been the best (ADSL) ISP I've ever had - and by some margin as well.

LLU is (by and large) fine and from personal experience I can say that UKO have no problem at all with 250GB+ usage each month. I've done that several times in the last year.

IPStream service isn't something I have experience of but as a rule of thumb I would never select IPStream from a (mainly) LLU ISP. The IPStream service is always going to be the "poor relation" when compared with the LLU service.

As an aside I've used Zen before. When they sold an unlimited service the price was justified. Now they don't its not. Apologies to Zen tech staff reading this but my experience of your tech support was pretty poor to say the least, although that was a couple of years in the past.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 11:49:13 AM »

Thanks for that rizla - I knew you've used several different ISPs over the years..  plus with you being "an adsl techy" and quite demanding of your connection & you immediately notice if something isnt right...  therefore were in a good position to report what you thought of them.
-----

Maturecheese

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 11:39:20 AM »

I go live on 28th with UkOnline who are a partial LLU at my exchange.(SWKGH)  I have yet to read the  Fup and t&c they sent me today as its all in small print, but from your "ISP Caps and Prices"  you give them a good rating(all greens). The wife just uses facebook and I browse,download game files, occasionally download large torrents,and use iplayer a fair bit.  As I use around 30 -50 gb a month, maximum, should I be ok with this ISP?  Sorry if im going over the same ground.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:59:00 AM by Maturecheese »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 12:25:10 PM »

There appears to be no problems with the LLU service - Although they do have a FUP, when I last looked there wasnt a defined limit - but it is assumed to be in the region of about 500GB.. so you should be fine.

As mentioned above by Rizla (who Im sure he wont mind me saying is very demanding of his adsl connection and he'd tell you straight if they were rubbish), there's certainly no problem with 250GB.

-----

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 09:47:29 PM »

You'll be fine using 30-50GB even if you're on IPStream. On LLU you could do ten times that amount and I don't think it'd provoke a reaction.
Pages: [1] 2

anything