Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: ADSL Max problems  (Read 31426 times)

markthomas

Re: ADSL Max problems
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 10:33:39 PM »

My exchange is not LLU and does not have ADSL2+ so I wouldn't have thought so...  I'm not expecting 3-4mb, 1-2mb would be much better than my current connection!

Mark.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 11:11:20 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong Kitz, but don't UK Online use ADSL2+?

If so this is most likely how they are promising faster speeds!

They do indeed and it could account for a little more speed,
however not at 61dB.  adsl2+ means a higher attenuation and higher frequencies are used so whilst there may be a little bit, I wouldnt expect too much.

The biggest freedom with UKO is that that are one of the few (only) ISPs in the UK that do something called SRA (Seamless Rate Adaption) if your router supports it.  So theres no messing about rebooting trying to pick up a higher sync speed or profile etc..  and of course no IP profile, that could hold back a variable long line.

I'm still not sure about how adsl2+ would perform on that line though.  If worst comes to worse then if they are offering a fixed rate profile on adsl1 if it doesnt work out then go for it.

The other bonus is that their CS (or at least the ones that Ive spoken to) do seem pretty knowledgeable.

---
TBH Mark - with your attenuation I would estimate your line to be nearer the 4km region.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

markthomas

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 11:56:19 PM »

Well my ADSL connection was switched over to UKOnline today.  After reconfiguring my router it initially connected just over 2mb.  It held this speed for at least 5 mins, however when I checked it an hour later it was back down to 768k.

I quickly spoke to the UKOnline tech support (who I have to say are a world apart from BT) and they said to wait for 10 days whilst the MAX service stabilises.  If the problem still persists after the 10 days then I need to call them back so that they can progress it.  Sounds fair enough to me...

I am not sure how this normally works but would you expect to see the downstream connection speed on the router change over the 10 days or would you expect this to remain constant and only the IP profile would change?

Thanks,

Mark.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 01:31:06 AM »

>> My exchange is not LLU
>> it initially connected just over 2mb.  It held this speed for at least 5 mins, however when I checked it an hour later it was back down to 768k.

Unfortunately the same technology behind it as BT, but the consolation is UKO CS do seem a lot more knowledgable than frontline BT.

>> they said to wait for 10 days whilst the MAX service stabilises.

Thats correct - your line could be going through a new 10 day training period - during which time the ISP cant do anything much.   The only thing that is at the back of my mind is that this was a bog standard IPStream >> IpStream migration which will have occured remotely.  Did you happen to notice by any chance what time of day (or was it overnight) that the migration occured.

Some new stats may be useful too. - ideally the first sync up with UKO would have been the most telling.
If you can recall them, and if your SNRM was 6dB (default) then you are going through a brand new training period.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

markthomas

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 07:25:09 PM »

I can't remember the original stats (apart from the downstream connection speed).  Here are the current ones:

Uptime:   1 day, 19:20:10
Modulation:   G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 736
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   15,02 / 207,74
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11,5 / 14,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   31,5 / 61,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   17,0 / 19,0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   16 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 22.583
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 68
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 56

I have not rebooted the router since I reconfigured it (as instructed by UKO).

Whilst my current SN margin is 19db I have been monitoring tonight with routerstats and it seems a little erratic.  It has varied between 9db and 20db.  I have attached a graph which show the dips.  Would you expect this during the training period or could it be some sort of interference?  I have read that it will fluctuate at night but I am not sure what amount is considered "normal".

Thanks,

Mark.

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 10:38:42 PM »

Good heavens, that's really quite weird. It's nothing to do with the 'training period'. It looks as though some source of major electrical interference is being switched on and off at roughly ten-minute intervals. Is there anything in your house which follows that pattern?
  Eric

markthomas

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 10:49:18 PM »

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks this is a bit strange  :)

There is nothing I can think of that would cause this.  It doesn't seem to tie in with the central heating/thermostat but   that is due to switch off any minute so I will see what happens over the next hour.  Could it be something in a neighbour's house or is more likely to be in my own?

I am going to try and borrow a portable AM radio with a digital tuner over the weekend to see if that helps me track it down...

Mark.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 07:13:01 AM »

Is the interference evident all the time throughout the day?

It definitely looks like something cycling on and off.  It may be a fridge/freezer?

And yes the source may be from a neighbours property.

markthomas

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 07:27:13 AM »

Well, it has been doing it right through the night!  I also thought about the fridge/freezer but eliminated this last night.  Am I right in thinking that if I see the SN margin drop it would suddenly rise again if I powered off the faulty device?

I am beginning to think it might be in a neighbours house.

Mark.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 07:32:47 AM »

Am I right in thinking that if I see the SN margin drop it would suddenly rise again if I powered off the faulty device?

Yes, that's basically it.

Have a read of this page which may help with tracking it down.
  Eric

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 10:50:37 AM »

I quickly spoke to the UKOnline tech support (who I have to say are a world apart from BT) and they said to wait for 10 days whilst the MAX service stabilises.  If the problem still persists after the 10 days then I need to call them back so that they can progress it.  Sounds fair enough to me...

Hi - apart from your noise/interference issues I thought you were switching for to a 'fixed rate' service in an attempt to improve things? I didn't think there was a 10 day training for a traditional fixed package???

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 04:08:12 PM »

Youre correct - there isnt...

I may be wrong, but I'm sure UKO said they would try him on Max first just to give it a go, but if it didnt work out they would be prepared move the line over to fixed.
-----

markthomas

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 04:31:44 PM »

Kitz - yes that is correct.  UKO have initially switched me over to their MAX product.  If it isn't successful then they will migrate me to their fixed rate 2mb product.

We have been away over this last weekend so I have not made much progress in tracking down the source of the interference.  I have just checked routerstats again and it is still dropping every 10-15 mins.  I now have a portable AM radio so I will give this a go later.  It does sound like a fridge or a freezer could be the culprit but I don't think it's mine.

If I am unable to track down the source would it help if I plugged the router into a mains conditioner?

Thanks,

Mark.

markthomas

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 05:54:51 PM »

Just spoke to UKO tech support and their diagnostics have now shown a fault on the line.  They also saw the changes in the downstream noise margin.  They have now raised a fault with BT wholesale to get the line fault fixed.

Mark.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 07:13:31 PM »

Nice one
- good luck - let us know how it goes.
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7