Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Pulling my hair out over BT  (Read 2870 times)

ashy

• Just arrived
Pulling my hair out over BT
« on: September 30, 2008, 04:59:04 PM »

I'll try and keep this short, over the past 4 months i've been putting up with ridiculous broadband speeds, i'm on BT's 8MB plan i don't expect 8MB but right now i would be happy with 1MB however due to some sort of interference on my line i'm sat right now at dialup speeds sharing a connection with 2 other people. When i first chose BT a year ago the connection was always sync'd at around 2.5MB and everything was brilliant until around June this year, my sync speed might sound low but for my line length i was very happy with it. However the last few months my modem has been disconnecting showing me a page "You are not connected to a broadband line" and it does it a lot but usually reconnects straight away.

To start with i called BT to tell them there was a problem and i went through the usual checklist of checking my filters and they have all been replaced and although my IP profile was down to 135k with the modem syncing at similar speeds it usually climbed back up to 2,5MB but my IP profile stayed rock bottom for the 3 days yet BT told me there was no problem. So ok i wait 3 days and it rises again but it usually takes a day at most after rising and the modem drops out over and over progressively reducing me to rock bottom speeds and a stuck 135k IP profile which although i sometimes resync a few hours later at 2.5mb will get stuck for 3 days.

I've reported the fault to BT on too many occasions now and had 2 engineer visits 1 fitted a filtered faceplate which on the day made a difference but again my line started disconnecting the day after and i'm back now at 135k, another engineer came on monday and basically told me there was no problem despite being on a IP profile of 135k which surely must indicate something was/is/has been wrong? He fitted another faceplate checked my phone for noise and there was nothing wrong.. and basically that was that, on some occasions i've heard line noise on my telephone, sometimes i've answered my phone and the internet has gone down so i figured its a phone line fault, with the noise on the line as well i called 151 and told them there was a lot of noise on my line, naturally they told me there wasn't so basically i'm back at square one still at this moment sat on 135k IP profile which will no doubt rise tomorrow as its been 3 days and once again the line will be flooded with noise and it'll all go to pot once again. Over the past few months i've not had anything fitted in the house or anything which should make a change or cause interference so i'm really stuck, i would pay more then i'm paying now for a stable internet but being in a non-cabled area and stuck on BT i'm cornered and really cannot fix it.

All of this information comes from a filtered plate so my ADSL is connected to the test socket.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2336 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 64 kbps

Uptime: 1 days, 14:32:37

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 2,336

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 34.83 / 374.12

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 18.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 56.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 15.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 10 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4,260

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 184

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 159

Line Profile: Interleaved

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:03:27 PM by ashy »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Pulling my hair out over BT
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »

Hi Ashy

In your case it may be worthwhile grabbing a copy of routerstats and using it to monitor your SNR Margin over a period of time.

By logging your SNRM you may find a pattern to help identify when the line is at its worst.. which in turn may help you find the culprit.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ashy

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 06:08:54 PM »

IP profile went back to 2000 today and it actually has stayed there with no hiccups :o will continue to monitor it although this worried me a bit after 2days of modem uptime.

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 417,478

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »

>> IP profile went back to 2000 today and it actually has stayed there with no hiccups

I hope it stays like that for you

>> FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 417,478

hmmm...  that is a bit high, thats approx 1 error every half second.

How is the SNRM holding out?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »

the 135k was a throttle back, applie with serious issues picked up by the dlm which should clear automaticaly with a good run of stable results which is what appears to have happened. As Kitz stated keep an eye on the FEC errors as it does seem a tad high

ashy

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 04:28:08 PM »

Well just in the last hour once again i've started losing signal, i disconnected the modem for 20 minutes to save my IP profile but no doubt it will tonight progressively go down, i also noticed when i unplugged my modem that there was a lot of noise on the line and its definetely related to the ADSL because with the modem unplugged there is no noise maybe its the modem? However this doesn't explain why it takes a day or so for the noise and disconnects to begin. With it plugged back in and a solid green on the broadband light i can here whooshing over the phone line which surely must be related to the disconnects. The FEC errors went last night into the millions and as it stands right now i'm just waiting for it to disconnect and lower my speeds, it seems to be alright but no doubt in the next hour it'll go down again.

xDSL linestate up (downstream: 2368 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 18.0 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 56.0 dB, Up: 30.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 15.5 dB, Up: 18.0 dB)

These are the modem stats just after reconnecting now and check the uptime, 8 losses of signal.. I've really no idea what to do.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/122296135883154614420.html

DSL Connection 

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:03:24

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 2,368

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 230.00 / 610.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 18.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 56.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 14.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 8 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 11 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 260

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 195

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 29

Line Profile: Interleaved

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:30:21 PM by ashy »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »

As Kitz suggested, it would be worth installing Routerstats so that you can monitor the noise margin over time. This would help with diagnosing the cause of the problem.
  Eric