Announcements > Site & Forum Discussion

Hiding your Email address

<< < (2/2)

jazz:
Thank you - both for the welcome and for the reassuring answer!

Just seen your "PS" - I can see the adresses of "Jeremy" (next line to mine in member list) and also "ja2737" which shows on the same page on the members lists.  I can also see a number on other pages.  It may be that they opted to have their email addresses shown.  (I couldn't see yours by the way!! :D)

oldfogy:

--- Quote ---Sorry, I meant to ask, where exactly can you see the other addresses?
--- End quote ---
I think I found where you meant, under the "Members" tab.

Although I have to say, I don't recognise the names that I looked at, neither did I look at their statistics, so it may just be when they registered they did not tick the box to hide the info and have not been back.

(Although, again I can see my own) but not yours.

--- Quote ---(I couldn't see yours by the way!! )
--- End quote ---
Thanks, bye for now.

kitz:
Hi Jazz and welcome to the forums. :)

--- Quote ---although I ticked to hide my email address, I have an envelope marked by my name on the members' list.
--- End quote ---

OF is correct in that the forum will always display your own email address despite others not being able to see it.

Ive double checked and can confirm that yours is hidden.

--- Quote ---I can see the adresses of "Jeremy" (next line to mine in member list) and also "ja2737" which shows on the same page on the members lists.  I can also see a number on other pages.  It may be that they opted to have their email addresses shown.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for bringing to my attention.
Ive just created a test account to make sure that all is working correctly during the signup process and as long as you tick the check box to hide email it is.

BUT what I have noticed is that the mod that I previously applied

"Ive also implemented a small hack so that in future the checkbox is ticked by default."

seems to have been overwritten when I did an SMF upgrade patch a few weeks back.

I dont have time right now to do anything about it since I have to go out pretty soon... but later on this evening I will re-do the hack so that the checkbox is ticked by default and tonight I'll also run a script on the database so that everyones email addy is hidden from view regardless or not if they elected to display it.

Just to re-confirm that as long as you ticked the checkbox to hide your mail address then your email address is hidden from view.

jazz:
Thank you Kitz.  Thank you for all the great information on your main site too - I've learned an enormous amount from it :)

kitz:
yw.

hack implemented to ensure tickbox is checked by default and DB updated.

- although reminder to self that SMF security updates will likely set it back to the SMF default so that users have to tick the checkboxes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version