Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Shall I Shan't I ??  (Read 4006 times)

Imagine.

• Reg Member
Shall I Shan't I ??
« on: September 26, 2008, 09:37:30 PM »

Hi all I was wandering do I need a new motherboard to take advantage of its SLi capability. I'm currently running this system:

Intel Pentium Dual Core @ 1.60ghz per core but I sometimes OC to 2.8 ghz per core.
1gb 400mhz DDR2 RAM
SiS 672 Motherboard
nVidia GeForce 7300GS PCI-E

Anyway back to the issue my motherboard only has 1 PCI-E Slot which is in use by the GeForce 7300GS. The old Graphics Card was a SiS Mirage 3 which was very poor at gaming. Will I need to buy a new motherboard that has 2 PCI-E Slots and if I do can anyone tell me what information I need to be able to change the Board.

Thanks in advance :)

Oh sorry if I don't reply to your posts as I will be in birmingham for the weekend gotta see some mates  :)
Imagine™

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Shall I Shan't I ??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:41:54 AM »

SLi?
Is that not when you have 2 Graphics card hooked in tandem!
So yes, you would need to change the MB.

If you intend using the same processor, then check the new MB it will be able to manage it, also would you be able to upgrade the processor at a later date, if you fitted your existing processor now.
Also will it take the same memory you already have.

>> and if I do can anyone tell me what information I need to be able to change the Board.
All of the above, possibly someone else might throw some light on the matter.
Other than that, a bit of patience, most if not all of the connections are plug connectors and "most" will only fit in the correct socket. (but check first, better to be safe than sorry)

SATA, Esata or IDE drives?
And will your power supply (PSU) unit take it

I have rebuilt one or two old computers so know the feeling of doing it yourself, but nowadays with the price of complete ready-made units you will not be saving very much by the time you have finished.
"Plus no 3 year guarantee" as with a new one.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:44:56 AM by oldfogy »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 07:10:23 AM »

Another option which wouldn't involve changing the motherboard is to use a dual graphics card.
  Eric

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »

Thanks for the response Roseway :) . I have a a SATA Hard Drive. I've worked out that my CPU uses the LGA775 Socket so I'll look for one with LGA775 and on the motherboard front. I think this will do it.

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=MBM-P6NSLIFI&af=50

less than £50 might be the cheap option but should be enough I hope. On the proccessor front I'm willing to do some tweaking as apparently an E2140 can go from 1.6ghz per core to 3.2ghz per core with 800mhz RAM but that further overclocking will wait until I gather up enough money for better cooling :) . Oh and on the SLi bit I heard if I want to go SLi the Graphics card model will have to be the same so I have a 7300GS so I can use a 7300 with any Lettering after the 7300 eg. 7300GS + 7300GT or 7300GTX + 7300GTS which means I'm unable to run a super-card in and I will have to watch my PSU as it's only a 350W :)
Imagine™

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:52:39 PM »

By the way how do I know if my motherboard is ATX or MATX is there a standard size for ATX or MATX or is it a case of If it works it works if it doesn't Oh well  :) .

And I'm now thinking of cooling I seen some cheap fans of £3 and 2500rpm that do 33 CFM of Air. Anyone think these will do or will I do the one thing Nigerians hate doing..... Spend Money  ;)
Imagine™

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:36:58 AM »

By the way how do I know if my motherboard is ATX or MATX

The manual should tell you... if you don't have one try doing a google search along the lines of:

"make & model" +manual +pdf

for my own board I would search for: "FIC K7M-400" +manual +pdf
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

anything