Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Home Security - Lock Bumping  (Read 7671 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Home Security - Lock Bumping
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:39:25 AM »

I got a leaflet come through my door today - which I assume that has gone out to just about every other house in this area.

The leaflet starts off

IMPORTANT NOTICE
A problem that YOU need to be aware of

Thieves and burglars are now able to break into your home without leaving any sign of forced entry.

THEIR METHOD - LOCK BUMPING

WHAT IS LOCK BUMPING

Lock bumping exploits a fundamental weakness in the design of the pin tumbler lock mechanism.  Burglars simply put an adapted key into the lock and tap it with a hammer, driving kinetic energy through the pins in the locking mechanism which in turn makes them briefly move into a position where the lock can be turned.

Websites like You Tube have video demonstrations of how to bump locks and online shops based in the UK are selling bump keys for a few pounds each.

Try for yourself - Type 'Lock Bumping' into google or any other internet search engine.  You will be shocked.

The ad then goes on to contact a local double glazing company (actually one that Ive used myself in the past).

Too damn right I was shocked - I'd never heard of this technique before. 
Has anyone else?  Should we be concerned?
Should I now be concerned that just about everyone (good or bad) in this area will now be aware of this technique.

Thoughts?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Home Security - Lock Bumping
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:48:44 AM »

This sounds like the barrel type lock (the type you have in a upvc door) which operates with a yale type key.
I have never heard of this and to be honest I don't see how its possible to put something different in its place.The only thing I can think of is fitting some other kind of locking mechanism to your upvc door(thats where the double glazing company would come in)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:53:13 AM »

It rather smells like a marketing scam, frightening people into buying new locks they don't need.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 11:59:45 AM »

The only thing I can think of is fitting some other kind of locking mechanism to your upvc door(thats where the double glazing company would come in)

Exactly!

I'm well aware of that - and I wouldnt be too surprised if that particular company gets an awful lot of calls from worried home owners.

The leaflet went on to say

.. In association with yale can now offer a fully guaranteed Kite Marked Anti-bump cylinder coupled with a yale security handle that can be fitted into most existing PVC doors without having to change your door.

Good Marketing Technique eh?
How much more a new lock?

I bet just about every kid in this area thats now seen that leaflet could easily google to find out how its done.  :no:

--------------------------------

BTW I just found this which looks interesting
http://www.pickbuster.co.uk/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 01:59:16 PM »

Might be and idea to call your local trading standards office.

I have been a joiner for 40 years and have fitted hundreds of this type of door and locking mechanism.I have never heard of anyone having this kind of problem.Upvc multi point locking mechanism's are usually very secure.
It sounds like a bit of scare mongering(especially old people)and at the same time make some cash out of it. >:(

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 02:59:41 PM »

It rather smells like a marketing scam, frightening people into buying new locks they don't need.

Whilst I would agree with you on that account, lock bumping is "nothing new"
It was has even featured on BBC Watchdog earlier this year.
Also, Anti bumping "liquid" products have also been featured on QVC shopping channel.

At one of the major lock conventions, also this year, a demonstration was carried out on the worlds "so-called" most secure locks as used by FBI, CIA, Mi5 and Mi6, it was bumped withing seconds.
Any lock that uses "tumblers" can be bumped once you have a original blank for that "type" of lock.

With a normal Yale type lock, you will find that the key is inserted into the lock with the flat part down at the bottom of the key and the pointed bits at the top, by reversing the lock the other way around "helps" to prevent bumping, and does not hinder the use of the lock.
(this helps to keep the tumblers sticky, as any grease and dirt clings to the tumbler pins) but there is actually no way of stopping it completely regardless as to how many pins (tumblers) the lock has.

However, there is one way of "helping" to counteract this, and that is to fit 2 Yale type locks onto the door
(NOT night rim latch locks that also use Yale type keys, because when the lock is turned, it stays in the unlocked position until the key is inserted again).
With using two (2) Yale type locks, this requires the both keys are held in the open position at the same time for the door to open, which means the intruder has to use both hands just to hold the 2 keys, but if they have a accomplice then even this method is still then defeated.

Also just to clarify one small point:
Using the bumping method doe NOT entail using a hammer, any object will suffice, even a hair comb.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 06:18:28 PM »

I must admit when I got that and first started looking around it half scared me to death that it was apparently so damn easy for just about any lock.
More so that this came from what I previously considered a fairly reputable double glazing company.

I'm so totally in 2 minds about this
1) That theyve brought it to my attention
2) That its brought it to the attention of just about any scally on how easy it is.

Wouldnt be too surprised if there were some around here tempted to give it a try.
From looking around, this trick has been known in "the industry" for many years..  but from what I read by a time served locksmith of several years training.. but now with the advent on the internet its just about leaked out everywhere and the information on how to do this is available to every tom dick and harry.

-----

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »

they've brought it to my attention

It's a classic marketing technique -  they sow the seed of doubt into people's minds but can conveniently sell you a product or service for peace of said minds.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 05:03:48 PM by Floydoid »
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 10:54:57 AM »

Has anyone talked to their local constabulary about this 'new' phenom ? I know, that WAS a stupid question, and probably wouldn't buy you too much if you did, but you never know.

TTFN

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

anything