Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thanks and a question  (Read 6040 times)

Lithurge

• Just arrived
Thanks and a question
« on: June 03, 2006, 03:15:15 PM »

Hi,

just wanted to say thanks for the site, some useful, interesting and easy to understand info here.

Now the question, does anybody have any idea why BTW set the 3 day limit on the DLM adjusting the line speed upwards if it's throttled it back after a bad connection?

I'm finding it very annoying being stuck (two days so far) at 16kbps download speed, when I've previously been enjoying speeds in the region of 340kbps, because ofa  single incident  :x

Still at least it's still faster than my old modem was five years ago  :roll:

Nick

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Thanks and a question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 12:29:59 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forums

tbh Ive no idea why BTw choose 3 days...  
many other people have asked this same question.

There have been several complaints simply because some people may have found that one isolated incident when on maxdsl such as a thunderstorm can mean that you are stuck with much lower speeds than your line is capable of for 3-4 days.

It must be damned annoying to find yourself stuck with slow throughput speeds knowing that your router is happily syncing at a much higher speed.

I can partially understand the reasoning why they have to make sure that the line is able to cope with the higher speeds for a while before they actually increase the bRAS profile..  but 3 days does seem a bit long imho.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Lithurge

• Just arrived
Thanks and a question
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 09:24:14 PM »

Thanks for the response, thankfully my line is getting back up to speed.

I notice they've switched on interleaving which it probably needs as I was losing sync  on a daily basis. With a bit of luck it'll mean I avoid any future really bad connections. (Luckily I'm not a online FPS gamer so the increased latency as explained in your article won't be an issue for me).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Thanks and a question
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 10:01:51 PM »

>>> I notice they've switched on interleaving

Hopefully this should help out :)
It certainly stablised the line of a friend of mine.  Prior to that his connection was dropping every 5 mins and getting quite poor speeds.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Lithurge

• Just arrived
Thanks and a question
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 01:37:18 PM »

It's certainly stabilised the connection. Not a single disconnect since it's been switched on in fact. Although with the 'fast' synch state I never had any speed problems (apart from the one incident that prompted this post of course).

:D