Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How to Use Nero 6 to combine more than one small DVD into or onto one DVD  (Read 24648 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.

How to use Nero 6 to combine more than one small DVD into or onto one DVD

The basics are the same as combining multiple .avi files (or whatever), but here we are going to chose existing DVDs.
I did not have any small DVDs, so for "demonstration purposes" I have used 2 full size DVDs.
You can add as many DVDs as you like, providing they will fit onto the DVD (DVD-5 4.7GB) or (DVD DL- 9GB)

This project will require copies all your existing DVDs on your HDD
"You can use DVD Shrink to do that"

Some parts listed below are just my own personal choices as I want chapters,
but without a menu or having to create chapters manually.
Nero's default will create chapters every two minutes.

I have tried to make this tutorial a "Multi Purpose Tutorial" to also cover "Merging" movies together.
But if this is not what you want to do, then you can just skip that part and go to the next part.

IE.
If you want a menu, then at step 9, just select the menu option and create your own menu.

If you do not want to join your series of movies together creating one long movie,
"then simply skip steps 4 & 5" You can then create a menu for the individual clips.

So, lets get started.

From Nero StartSmart
1. Select "DVD", followed by "Make Your Own DVD-Video"

2. Select "Add Video Files"

3. Select the files from your first DVD that you want to burn then press "Open"
... Here you will select "ALL" of the VTS files from "VTS_01_1" until your last one (Mine just happens be to as shown)

3a. You will now receive the following warning, so just click "Yes"
... This will merge all of the VTS files into one.

4. The files are now in view and highlighted,
... (if not highlighted press and hold Ctrl then select the movie files) "ONLY if you are going to merge all the files into one movie"
... Now go back and select the files from your second DVD,
... If you need to, do the same for any more DVDs that you have.
... You can check the length of the movie from the info as shown.
... You can also now change the name of your movie.
... (Make sure the files are listed top-to-bottom in the order you want them)

5. Select the MIDDLE icon on the bottom left hand side of the screen, (picture above) a message will say "Merge Titles" when you hover the mouse over it, now press it,
A warning message will follow saying, "Merging titles means that a new title is created from the contents of the selected ones, which are then removed from the document. Do you want to continue?" Yes/No.
Select YES (your original files will still be intact when finished, it does not delete or remove them).

6. You will now see only one title with the original file name, except the time of the movie is now for all parts.
... Click the title if you want to change it.

7. From the picture above (my personal choice) is to select "More>>" and place a tick in "Create chapters automatically" (this will create chapters every 2 minutes).

8. Also at this point you can also select which format you want your movie in "PAL/NTSC" by selecting "Video Options".
Then press "Next"

9. Now at the top right hand corner next to (Menus to Use) select "Titles and chapter menus" and select "Do not create a menu"
Then press "Next"

You will now see a preview of your movie.
After the preview press "Next"

10. You can now select where to save or burn the DVD vobs files. "Write to Hard Disk Folder" and select where to save it to.
(again a personal choice) I prefer to save to the HDD then burn later.
Then press "Write".

Now sit back and wait 2, 3, 4, 5 hours, depending on your PC and the size of the movie.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 05:06:39 PM by oldfogy »

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: How to Use Nero 6 to combine more than one small DVD into or onto one DVD
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 08:38:10 PM »

OF
You have produced an excellent tutorial setting out what I probably stumbled through the last time I tried to combine Mini DVDs. I'm sure I can with its help produce a DVD for the American Inlaws. One last question. The original Mini DVDs have a simple menu consisting of dates when each sequence was shot. When I made the last big DVD I ended up using the Nero menu making facility to put in a few strategic dates but this is quite long winded - each Mini DVD has 10 - 15 sequences on it. Is it possible to retain the original menus in the final DVD? I think this may not be possible because the original menu pointers now point to the wrong places but just to be able to import the date text would be helpful.
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 09:06:46 PM »

The original Mini DVDs have a simple menu consisting of dates when each sequence was shot.

Is it possible to retain the original menus in the final DVD?

No unfortunately not, because "this method" only copies the actual movie portions.

But,
If you were to use the Nero option of "Burn DVD-Video Files"
You will be able to select multiple small video's to put onto one DVD.
However this will not convert them from PAL to NTSC.

Although I have not tried it "yet" initially running the original DVD through "ConvertXtoDVD" (or a similar program) hopefully should do the trick.

"Watch this space for an update"

edit.
Well I have tried a few different programs and options, but none will do what you want.
"Dvd Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Xilsoft to DVD Converter, ConvertXtoDvd and Nero"
I feel the only option "at this stage" would be going back and remaking the menus.

1. ** Copy the movie to your HDD with Dvd Shrink.
2. Convert from PAL to NTSC with AutoGordianKnot
3. Re-make the DVD complete with menus with Nero, ConvertXtoDvd (or other choice)

** Although you don't "need" to use Dvd Shrink, for the time it takes, it saves the wear and tear on your DVD drive.

Obviously this will mean re-playing the movie/s to get the dates and times of the clip/s.
Unfortunately, anything to do with movies are not very quick.

Good luck....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:20:45 AM by oldfogy »

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 09:26:12 PM »

Thanks OF. You are very kind to go to such trouble.
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 02:57:21 AM »

Well the nearest information I can find is from here: http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/Convert_PAL_NTSC_DVD_page1.html

But I have my doubts if it will retain the menu.
Start at section 3. for Pal to NTSC

Hit OK and IFOEDit will take fifteen to twenty minutes to create a new DVD and DVD structure (movie only) and new IFO files

Over to you now I'm afraid.
Good luck.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 12:17:08 PM »

Thanks OF. I will give feedback after I have had a go.
Tony

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »

I've hit a fairly catastrophic snag! Two of the three minidvds my daughter gave me turn out to have defects which only allow 70% and 90% of the dvds to be read. After trying several different programs to attempt to read through the defects I asked my daughter if she had had any difficulties playing them. It turns out that she had, but neglected to tell Dad! This is all probably down to using inferior media and, for the time being, the transposing exercise is aborted. no doubt Dad will be involved again but at least, due to your efforts OF, I stand a chance of success.
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 03:30:44 PM »

If the DVDs played properly when first created, then you could try one of the "many" DVD Recovery programs.
Just a thought "which I am going to leave with you"