Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: max wierdness  (Read 15702 times)

browolf

Re: max wierdness
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 07:59:52 AM »

hmm i never have bacon & rarely bread in my house lol
seems to have been ok during the night. would feel better with a log file. work on that tonight. :-)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 10:33:58 AM »

>> no i've reported it to TT as a voice fault; the line crackles as well. my isp f2s are reluctant to get involved at this stage because they think its a line fault rather than a specific dsl fault.

Sorry when you mentioned TT earlier I'd assumed they were your ISP :/

>>> Just be nice to the BT engineers and make them lots of tea. I'm told that bacon butties go down well too.

lol..  Ive heard that rumour too... but if no bacon is available.... choccy biccys work well too.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 10:36:44 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 10:40:24 AM »

>> got a new old dlink DSL-G604T router off ebay

heard these tend to work pretty well on hanging on to low SNR.. 

However attenuation jumping all over the show isnt right - this figure should remain fairly static and therefore  points to a problem on the line itself.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 01:06:04 PM »

Just be nice to the BT engineers and make them lots of tea. I'm told that bacon butties go down well too.

Yes be nice to the engineers. They have been sent out on the behalf of your SP and won't know the problems you've had etc. The last thing people like when they turn up is for the customer to have a moan at them when they have come to try and help.

Don't forget Openreach was created to meet ofcom requirements for treating all service providers equally. So apart from Openreach arranging a visit and doing repair work it is up to TT to take care of you and if you think nothing is being done you ought to complain to them given it is their responsibility to keep you happy.

browolf

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 01:22:46 PM »

>> got a new old dlink DSL-G604T router off ebay

heard these tend to work pretty well on hanging on to low SNR.. 

thats why i got one; after reading it on your fine site :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 10:34:06 PM »

lol  :-[
-----

browolf

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 06:02:04 PM »

still havent managed to get rate adapted up. experienced a couple of short periods of instability over the weekend.
what i would like to know is, if i turn my router off when im not using my pc (to "bypass" any possible instabilities) will the time period for rate adapting still be same? ie if im stable when i am on, will it still be 3-4 days?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 07:44:17 PM »

>> if i turn my router off when im not using my pc (to "bypass" any possible instabilities) will the time period for rate adapting still be same? ie if im stable when i am on, will it still be 3-4 days?

Should be.

The only thing to be aware of if you do do this, - is that as soon as you do hit an unstable period again, then you will be back at square 1 :/
-----

browolf

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 11:20:47 PM »

k thx. yea realise that; least if im up to speed and i'm on my pc i can turn the router off quick for 10mins or something if i do loose sync.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 06:30:30 AM »

worth giving it a shot then.. if you dont mind turning the router off at the times when it starts going erratic.

good luck :)

-----

browolf

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 01:52:12 PM »

Woohoo ~ good call ~ back on 4mbit, turned router off for 14 hours whilst asleep/at work. must do that more often. :)

also got call off bt; didnt know it was bt at first; the guy was speaking so unclearly it sounded like gibberish; nearly put the phone down. at first he was either asking/telling me fault was fixed. then was saying bt couldnt find any noise. so in the end i said well if bt cant find a problem. if i have any more problems i'll go through my isp as a broadband fault and that was that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 05:38:49 PM by browolf »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 12:00:57 AM »

>> back on 4mbit

:thumbs:

btw.. I think it was you that mailed me about some router stats.
Unfort theres been a few periods over the past month or so when Ive been awol several times.. and I still literally have about 80-100 mails that I havent caught up on yet.

However it seems good stuff and could well be very useful to many others.  Thank you :)
If you'd like to open a new thread on here with the script & details, then I'd be more than happy to link to it on the main site on the frogstats page. That way you also get relevant credit as being the author for you hard work :)

Ive also got quite a few mods and updates that I want to do on the site...  and I need to really contact you properly about this... but I was perhaps thinking of hosting the batch files rather than you having to mail them if that has your agreement? 
(I'm currently looking at new hosting cause I need more bandwidth, which is another reason why some things have ground a bit to a halt site wise.)
-----

browolf

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 09:24:45 AM »

yeah that was me. got 2 scripts now one for 3com and one for dlink; might be getting a free different router to write another one.

the script is pretty self contained but it is a folder of stuff cos you need the windows port of wget, wait.exe and strings.exe; a vbscript and a batch file.
also i need to alter it to run off c: drives cos i have it on an e: drive and i wouldnt think too many people had one of them lol.

i think hosting the files (zipped) would be best.  if your concerned about bandwidth i could stick them on my isp webspace.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 09:42:20 AM »

heh you could have a cottage industry going with routers soon if you carry on writing scripts for them :D

lol..  I think youre quite correct about the e drive :D

Id seen your mention of mailing which is why I also thought hosting would be best.
Out of curiousity how big is the zip file?
-----

browolf

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 11:03:15 AM »

i think i must have meant mailing it to you to host.
Not sure am at work. i'd say between 1 & 2  mb
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything